IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Questions about 1000 mini spint motors
12/26/11, 3:19 PM   #1
Questions about 1000 mini spint motors
tq11

I recently purchased a 1000 mini sprint and the car has a 03-04 GSXR 1000 motor in it that is completely stock. I am coming from tq's and the motors I ran over there were anything but stock. I am looking to be very competitive in the mini sprints and dont know what are the do's and donts of the motors. I am wondering If I would be better off finding a motor with all the stuff you can do to them done to it or having the motor that came with it gone threw and just do it all new? Also wondering what are the best bangs for your buck as far as priformance wise?
P.S I would be interested in buying another motor if someone has one for sale.
Thanks,
Brandon Gray
317-498-5877
grayracing11@yahoo.com

12/26/11, 8:20 PM   #2
Bradleyracing86

Pm.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/26/11, 8:24 PM   #3
Re: Questions about 1000 mini spint motors
cws9

I barely know enough about these motors to change the oil....but I do know the newer motors are almost always better. Put it on alky so it stays cool and you can get these type numbers throughout the race.

Year 2011
Capacity 998.6
Bore x Stroke 74.5 x 57.3 mm
Compression Ratio 12.8:1
Max Power 181.1 hp 135.5 KW @ 12000rpm
Max Torque 86 lb-ft 116.4 Nm @ 10000rpm

Year 2004
Capacity 988
Bore x Stroke 73 x 59 mm
Compression Ratio 12.0:1
Max Power 164 hp 120,6 kW @ 10800 rpm
Max Torque 120 Nm11,3 kg-m @ 8500 rpm

12/26/11, 9:59 PM   #4
tq11

Do you know of anyone who has one for sale?

Posted via Mobile Device

12/26/11, 10:34 PM   #5
ndr7r

Call Rick Hench 717-567-2300. He can usually find what you are looking for and or whole engine packages

12/26/11, 10:50 PM   #6
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

If you want a engine call me first. I can get you any engine cheaper than anyone else. Dont waste your time calling anywhere else. Just ask anyone i got engines and low prices.
I also stand behind my engine not just sell you another one until your money runs out.
Spiker racing products 937-418-7736
spikerracingproducts.com

12/26/11, 11:11 PM   #7
ndr7r

I have gotten engines from both and had no problems with either. i took it as he was looking for alky injection and everything.
Nick
Last edited by ndr7r; 12/27/11 at 8:01 AM.

12/27/11, 9:52 AM   #8
tq11

Yes I am looking for one that is ready to go bad fast with alky and programmer already on it. Something I know is pretty close if not fresh. I am assuming that those are about the best things you can do to one from what I am hearing. Havent heard anything about cams and value jobs, porting and polishing? Which is good that what I got into this for. Well hopefully I can find a good motor alky injection combo and I think I have already found one for the current motor I have which is do to this thread. So thanks for the advice and I look forward to hearing from more of you and racing with you.
Thanks,
Brandon Gray
Grayraving11@yahoo.com

Posted via Mobile Device

1/9/12, 11:56 AM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq11 View Post
Yes I am looking for one that is ready to go bad fast with alky and programmer already on it. Something I know is pretty close if not fresh. I am assuming that those are about the best things you can do to one from what I am hearing. Havent heard anything about cams and value jobs, porting and polishing? Which is good that what I got into this for. Well hopefully I can find a good motor alky injection combo and I think I have already found one for the current motor I have which is do to this thread. So thanks for the advice and I look forward to hearing from more of you and racing with you.
Thanks,
Brandon Gray
Grayraving11@yahoo.com

Posted via Mobile Device
Your 04 may be down a few horses but still a good motor. Don't get all out of shape putting go fast goodies in your motor. When you do you make a hand granade. A newer motor will have about 15 to 20 more hp than you have now. You can make up for that in handling and driving. When your motor gets tired and blows go find a newer motor. We can do an alky conversion pretty cheeply if you want. It wont make you much faster but you will have a little more grunt off the turns and it will run a bunch cooler. We run a zx10r motor, It has plenty of power but some racers have had a hard time keeping oil down and making them work the way they should. Get out and get some seat time first then decide where you want to go. Never put much faith in hot out of the box because it is different for everybody.

I would be glad to talk with you and help any way I can. My work number is 502-778-6833 just ask for Bill or DAD I answer to both.

Honest Dad himself

1/9/12, 6:13 PM   #10
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq11 View Post
Thanks,
Brandon Gray
Grayraving11@yahoo.com

Posted via Mobile Device
Brandon just sitting around and thinking. You like a lot of other people fall into the notion that the motor is everything. People have been selling this glittering BULL S#it for years. Don't buy into it. When we raced gokarts there were people selling hones for your tail pipe to make you faster. Don't even worry about being fast right out of the box, like everything there is a learning curve you must master.

If you want to be fast these are some things that will help you much more than a motor:

Tires*******Keep them as new as you can afford. new tires are good for about .2 seconds.

Shocks*****Get the best you can afford we like ARS we buy them through A.J. Felker he knows what works and is much cheeper than the hit and miss way.

Torsion bars**Aint nothing worse than trying to set up on worn out bars.

Chassis******There are a bunch out there to choose from but all the horse power in the world won't work unless the race car can get it to the ground.

Seat time ****Last but not least coming from TQ's you probably got some of that but the more you get the better you will be, You will be racing rookies and guy's that have years of racing experience. Experience is very hard to beat we have been working on it for years. Find one of the older guys and don't be ashamed to ask some questions.
The only DUMB question is the one you DID NOT ASK.

Don't put you self in the position that you have to win everytime out, settle for ever so often you will be much happier and most of all you'll have fun.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Questions about 1000 mini spint motors