IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lloyd Ruby 1960-1969--a tribute
12/22/11, 5:12 PM   #1
Lloyd Ruby 1960-1969--a tribute
brian26

Lloyd Ruby raced bikes, then midgets, jalopies, masarati's - before he got Indy in 1960.

His dirt credentials on film and in pics will be looked at in a future compilation.

I would like to thank all those people who stopped and took their time to take photos, film clips, and keep the stories alive.

This is my thank you to 'Ol Rube- The Top Man at the card table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qR62ONHLIw

---------- Post added at 5:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:11 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qR62ONHLIw

12/22/11, 5:42 PM   #2
Re: Lloyd Ruby 1960-1969--a tribute
dirt330

Fantastic tribute to Loyd , I was sitting across from his pits when he ripped a hole in the fuel tank. He was always one of my favorites. Thanks for a great video. It brought back many memories.

2 members like this post: Kansasdirtfan, TQ29m
12/22/11, 7:20 PM   #3
Kansasdirtfan

Very nicely done, Brian. Geez those Indy roadsters were beautiful machines, weren't they? Or is it just my generation (born in '43) that thinks so? I have to admit to one surprise, though. I did not remember the rear engined cars running on dirt. Can you or anyone else elaborate? Thanks, and keep up the good work.

12/22/11, 7:41 PM   #4
indybail

Thanks, especially the sports car segments. I don't think Lloyd has ever received enough credit as one our best road racers. He did an outstanding job in them.

12/22/11, 9:25 PM   #5
marko 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
Fantastic tribute to Loyd , I was sitting across from his pits when he ripped a hole in the fuel tank. He was always one of my favorites. Thanks for a great video. It brought back many memories.
that 69 500 was his, except for the misfortune, the lucky andretti won. but like aj says, i"d rather be lucky than good.

12/22/11, 9:28 PM   #6
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
We musta been pretty close together that year, cause that's where I was sittin! I saw old Lloyd, years later, he had come to the Kart track with Big Al, to watch little Billie run his kart, and I got to talk to him about that day, and he just said, "Bob,it just weren't meant to be", but I sure wish it had turned out different, really liked Lloyd, and big Al for that matter, all them old guys, knew how to have fun! Bob!

12/23/11, 2:12 AM   #7
brian26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdirtfan View Post
Very nicely done, Brian. Geez those Indy roadsters were beautiful machines, weren't they? Or is it just my generation (born in '43) that thinks so? I have to admit to one surprise, though. I did not remember the rear engined cars running on dirt. Can you or anyone else elaborate? Thanks, and keep up the good work.
Lloyd, Al Unser from what I hear and mayyyybe AJ tried to run their rear engine cars on dirt just as a trial deal. Lloyd I think tried to qualify for the Hoosier 100 . Didn't work, but he tried.

---------- Post added at 2:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:07 AM ----------

Lloyd was known more for losing out in the '69 race. But down here he felt he had a better shot at the '66 show instead. Wichita Falls is just 73 miles from me , and I talk to some of those that knew him day to day.

Here's the crazy part- you guys probably know more about Lloyds career than we do down here! He NEVER bragged about what he did, or tooted his own horn. A top-notch class act for sure, but hard to know. Always drew a crowd.

12/23/11, 11:44 AM   #8
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Geez those Indy roadsters were beautiful machines, weren't they? Or is it just my generation (born in '43) that thinks so?
As a fellow member of Bob's generation, I agree that those cars were beautiful.

The "kids" whose generations never saw 'em really missed out !!

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, TQ29m
12/28/11, 4:42 AM   #9
brian26

Quote:

Those cars are hot for any generation. Just like a 1932 Ford roadster. Always will be cool.

I have no idea as to why they're overlooked so much.

---------- Post added at 4:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:41 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I was born in '68. I'm 43 now.

12/28/11, 6:08 PM   #10
legends51

I was setting behind ( in TT) Lloyds pit in 69. The clip of him shaking his head and calmly walking away, pure class! It didn't get any better the next year. How about 25th (blew 3 or 4 motors including first day qual) to first in 50 laps, then rear end burned up. The same look when he walked the same walk.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...lts/?year=1970

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lloyd Ruby 1960-1969--a tribute