Did spoon run?
Posted via Mobile Device

9/18/11, 1:04 AM   #2
Re: powri at spoon
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

B-main

Semi finish: Thomas Johnson Kingston Beechler Neal Clouser transfer over Middleton Hess. Campbell Houston Flescher Robbins Behning DNF.

A-Main
http://lockerz.com/s/139684615

Feature Finish: Larson Loyet Bell Gehrke Knepper T-Mez Brown Felker Camfield Robinson Beechler Middleton Neal Johnson.

You can find more here
http://twitter.com/#!/ashers_3
Last edited by Fred Zirzow; 9/18/11 at 1:06 AM.

9/18/11, 9:45 AM   #3
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

Kyle Larson fends off Brad Loyet, takes 2nd victory in POWRi National Midgets in Tom Knowles Memorial

CANTON, Ill. (Sept. 17, 2011)—Kyle Larson fended off several attacks from Brad Loyet to take his second feature victory of the season in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series at Spoon River Raceway Saturday night.

Larson led all 30 laps in the Tom Knowles Memorial on the fast, high-banked 3/8th-mile track, but Loyet ran less than a foot behind him for most it. On the 24th lap, Loyet got his Spike-Esslinger nearly side-by-side with Larson’s Toyota-powered and –sponsored Bullet on the inside exiting Turn Two, but wasn’t able to complete the pass. On the next lap, Loyet was halfway alongside Larson on the outside in the same place when a caution came out.

“I could hear him coming, but I didn’t know he was there until he showed his nose off Turn Two,” Larson said. “He was definitely faster than we were. I had been trying to save my tires and I had to get up on the wheel.”

Loyet had started next to Larson on the front row. Larson, on the outside, took the lead on the start in Turn One.

“That was pretty much the race when Larson got out front at the start,” Loyet said. “We had a pretty good car and we probably gave up having a chance having to chase him and using up the tires. But I didn’t need the yellows (at the end), they cost us the race. We were faster than he was.

“I guess I made him earn it. Finishing second to a guy who is winning a lot of races isn’t too bad.”

Larson, of Elk Grove, Calif., held off Loyet on restarts on the 26th and 29th laps and finished three cars lengths ahead of the 23-year-old from Sunset Hills, Mo.

Larson’s first POWRi victory was on his 19th birthday on July 31 at U.S. 36 Raceway in Cameron, Mo. He’s been almost unbeatable since then, winning on dirt and pavement, in Midgets, Sprint Cars and USAC’s Silver Crown division. Larson has victories in non-winged Sprint Cars and with wings in the World of Outlaws’ prestigious national touring series. He’s won so often he can’t keep count.

“Since my birthday, I’ve won 10 or 11 races,” Larson said. “The last six weeks have been awesome. I’ve won in everything I’ve driven. It’s been really good.”

Chett Gehrke of Broken Arrow, Okla., finished third, his best finish since taking second in the third race of the season on April 30 at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland,Mo.

“I’ll take it,” Gehrke said. “The track was rubbered down and it was hard to pass. We’ve been having problems and just not getting any breaks for the most part.”

Nick Knepper of Belleville, Ill., finished fourth and Thomas Messeraul of San Jose, Calif., was fifth.

Loyet and Knepper are in a tight battle for the championship. It will be decided in the two POWRi Midget events remaining this season, Sept. 24 at Macon (Ill.) Speedway and Oct. 1 at Belle-Clair Speedway in Belleville, Ill.

POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series feature results (30 laps): 1. Kyle Larson, 2. Brad Loyet, 3. Chett Gehrke, 4. Nick Knepper, 5. Thomas Messeraul, 6. Austin Brown, 7. Andrew Felker, 8. Dave Campfield Jr., 9. Daniel Robinson, 10. Donnie Beechler, 11. Butch Middleton, 12. Kyle Neal, 13. Eric Johnson, 14. Leyton Kendall, 15. Tyler Thomas, 16. Darren Kingston, 17. Brad Kuhn, 18. Jake Blackhurst, 19. Davey Ray, 20. Danny Stratton, 21. Derrick Myers. Note: Christopher Bell’s car failed post-race inspection and was disqualified from third place.

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
9/18/11, 10:02 AM   #4
SpfldMile

The track was extremely dry-slick. The dust was pretty bad. I saw the MOWA show there in July, and the track was fast with a cushion and a low line. It wasn't the case last night. The heats had some decent action, but after that the rubber down groove was the only place to be. Kyle Larson even said he wished the track would have been better in his victory interview. I didn't even stay for the sprint car feature. The e-mods were on their fifth attemp at a start, and I knew I would hardly be able to see the sprints, so I bolted. I think I will stick with Jacksonville, Granite City, Macon, Farmer City, I know what I am getting there, and it is pretty good.

2 members like this post: SDHill89, TWO FIVE
9/18/11, 1:21 PM   #5
Jack Dupp

Spfldmile,

You didn't miss much. Hull ran away with the race. Pretty much the only passing was if someone skated up off the bottom a little. If you
skated up to the middle the whole field passed you. I mostly watched Robbie Standridge come up through the field. That was impressive.

1 member likes this post: SpfldMile
9/18/11, 3:02 PM   #6
SDHill89

The track was pretty disappointing last night. It wasn't too bad during the heats and watching Loyet and Larson make the top work was fun, but the features weren't much to watch and the mods were painful to sit through. That is one of my favorite tracks when they get enough water on it, but when they don't it always gets rubber down around the bottom, and unfortunately I could see the track was too dry before hot laps started.

9/18/11, 5:33 PM   #7
21sprint

St. Francois County Raceway in Farmington has been very racey every weekend and I think the Queens Royale Oct 1st will be just like last years very good..
Eddie Lewis
Queen's Royale at SFCR on October 1st!

St. Francois County Raceway in Farmington, MO
(573) 438-4546

... Saturday, October 1st... Rain Date of Saturday, October 8th!

Will run Sprints, Modifieds, B-Modifieds & Pure Streets

Gates open at 4pm, hotlaps at 6pm and qualifying at 6:30pm.

410 Wing Sprint Car Payout
1. $4,100
2. $2,050
3. $1,450
4. $1,000
5. $825
6. $725
7. $700
8. $625
9. $525
10. $440
11. $430
12. $420
13. $415
14. $410
15-20. $400

9/18/11, 6:44 PM   #8
LocalYokel

Spoon River has never ran openwheel cars on a weekly basis. I wasn't there last night, but all the other times I've been in attendence they've always had a decent track. Dry slicks are the norm these days...
Posted via Mobile Device

9/18/11, 7:08 PM   #9
Subaruboo

They ran weekly sprint shows in the early 80s after the track first opened . Beechler, Feese. Shirley, Standridge , Scott, Rockhold, and many others. Tom Scott won the points the first year. Always was fast and a good track back in the day.

9/18/11, 9:29 PM   #10
LocalYokel

Dave Feese? That's an awesome name from the past. He definately taught his kid Blake well.
Its too bad that Spoon River doesn't race openwheel cars on a regular basis. Even winged sprinters would be fine on a weekly basis. I guess even the winged cars are getting thinned out in Illinois.
Its certianly a cool track, i've heard lots of people compaire it to a mini eldora, and I can't disagree with that. Maybe one day it'll be a marquee track. Schrader and Smoke should rescue it like they did Macon...
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > powri at spoon