IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Las Vegas IndyCar race
3/24/11, 4:41 PM   #1
Las Vegas IndyCar race
Puppy

Who is thinking/talking about running the IndyCar World Championship at Las Vegas for the $5 million prize? Any hot rumors out there?
So far I have heard that,
James "Bubba" Stewart is interested...
Rally car driver Petter Sloberg....
Alex Zanardi expressed interest... Wow that would be something.....
Who else?
Also, who do you think could actually pull it off?

3/24/11, 7:06 PM   #2
Re: Las Vegas IndyCar race
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Nobody! Where are the going to get rides????????????????

3/24/11, 7:36 PM   #3
duel

my money is on Hornish if he is eligible.

3/24/11, 8:44 PM   #4
2HWrench

Chip Ganassi has said that Zanardi has a seat whenever he wants it, ever since his near fatal crash. Not to mention Alex has been in a few sports car races in the past few years. You have to think that any of the owners who have teams on both sides of the fence will be key players. Penske, Ganassi and Andretti are just the beginning.

1 member likes this post: mowerman
3/25/11, 4:13 AM   #5
cecil98

I have no interest in any of the drivers mentioned. The idea of this was to attract NECKCAR stars, which so far it hasn't. It should also be held at the Speedway(500), not Las Vegas.......

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
3/25/11, 10:08 AM   #6
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I don’t think Indy is the right place to do it. The Vegas thing is a gimmick for TV ratings. I don’t have an issue with it, but it is what it is. The 500 has no place for gimmicks. So Vegas seems like the right place to do it.

IndyCar will help guys get into cars. They aren’t going to offer 5 spots and only have 2 filled because of money. They will make sure 5 get into a seat. As for the drivers, RB is looking for guys to go across all racing disciplines. So there will be some drivers that nobody on here is going to be interested in. I think there should be one slot for: USAC, WoO, Road racer, NHRA, and a wildcard. I say NHRA because of Capps and Cruz, they both have oval racing experience so you could hit their fans. The wildcard can be anybody with proper racing experience (James Stewart crashes enough on two wheels…bad idea IMO to run him without racecar experience). I wouldn’t have a slot for Nascar because there aren’t any drivers who would do it that would move the needle. Guys mid pack in Cup points won’t do much. Those are the only guys that would do it and I don’t see them doing much for interest. RB wants the top dogs, but I just don’t see how he’s going to get them with contracts. I’m sure they will try and get a driver from there anyway…. This is all about driving up TV rating so you are going to see some “who cares” drivers in there to cover the masses. It will be interesting…..

3/25/11, 4:17 PM   #7
richie

Would you guys be interested if Mario Andretti competed at Vegas? According to this article, he is showing interest.

http://old.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=401655

3/25/11, 6:37 PM   #8
Puppy

Wow, Mario? That would be something... I wonder if Micheal is thinking about it....
I would not be suprised the see John Adretti there with the Window World/Petty car....
Wether Randy Bernard is doing this to attract Napcar drivers or not, I think it's all pretty exciting. As far as the gimmick thing, it happens to be at the last race of the season, so gimmick or not, who cares?
As far as anyone that has no IndyCar experience, I think it would be almost impossible to pull off the win, an F-1 guy yes, but say a James Stewart, no. Dont forget ,you need to be in a good car too.....

3/25/11, 8:26 PM   #9
petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
I have no interest in any of the drivers mentioned. The idea of this was to attract NECKCAR stars, which so far it hasn't. It should also be held at the Speedway(500), not Las Vegas.......
No they should run it at Darlington or Bristol. Now that would be fun to watch!

2 members like this post: okienonwingfan, Pat O'Connor Fan
3/27/11, 8:35 AM   #10
Puppy

Las Vegas is going to be faster than ever after the reconfiguring of the track. The Cup guys were faster than ever so what will the taller banking do for our guys/gals? May/should be faster than Texas....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Las Vegas IndyCar race