IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > don smith racecar museum
9/1/10, 4:06 PM   #1
don smith racecar museum
torsionbar

Does anyone know if Don Smith ever opened a racecar museum in Terre Haute? Saw some pics on another website and the collection is unbelievable. Please post if you have any info. Thanks.

9/1/10, 4:16 PM   #2
Re: don smith racecar museum
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I believe he opens it up once a year for a Komen for the cure Charity fund raiser. I don't know when it is.

Its not really a race car museum, More like a collection of his life and racing he's been around, Two of the four buildings are Race Car related and two are miscellaneous vehicles including some rare and one of a kinds.

If your in a car club its possible he may be open to a visit making a appointment to do so. Don't just show up. I took some pics and there are much better pics out there on some hot rod site.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000460296154

If you get a chance. Visit but like I said, Don't just show up

There is also the 500 museum in Terre Haute run by his son-in-law that has several of his cars. This is only open some saturdays to my understanding, Several of the cars are visible thru the front window with their descriptions. I believe that is on Ohio Ave.

2 members like this post: buck2
9/1/10, 4:18 PM   #3
champcar50

I am not sure if he opened a public museum but I am certain he will have a couple of his cars on display at the Terre Haute fair grounds on the 11 with the Midwest Oldtimers. I have seen his collection and it is Amazing! He is a very nice man and has some very interesting racing stories to tell.

9/1/10, 4:20 PM   #4
terrehautian

There is the 500 Musuem of Wheels, while it might not be his musuem, I believe it is his cars in there. I don't know who owns it. It is located about 2 blocks from my work and is open on Fridays from 4-7 pm (I think) and Saturdays 9-12. It costs 5 dollars to get in. It is on Ohio street near 15th.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cvmnrob...7602741813778/

This is a picture of the building.
Last edited by terrehautian; 9/1/10 at 4:22 PM.

1 member likes this post:
9/1/10, 4:24 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Oh I totally agree, Don never stopped chatting with people. In fact the third hour we were on site it was pretty much a bull session between himself and race fans he never knew

If you get a chance to go. Check out the walls, the paintings some of the race articles on the walls. Hes got practical jokes made up (the one that got me was the birdcage with a bottle of Old Crow and wild turkey in it The paintings are STELLAR as you can see from some of the pics.

I can't remember who he hired to do all the paintings and woodwork at the site but hes quite talented and has a obsession with Crows! (Theres a crow somewhere in every painting )

9/1/10, 5:59 PM   #6
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

anybody know if bob mcconnell in urbana, ohio ever allows the public to check out his collection.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/1/10, 6:22 PM   #7
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

I can tell you this... IT IS AN AWESOME COLLECTION...... I would pay to go visit it again.......

9/1/10, 7:10 PM   #8
racinround

Thanks for the link Chuck, great pic's !

9/1/10, 10:29 PM   #9
torsionbar

thanks for all the help. it is greatly appreciated.

9/2/10, 8:57 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1jackhewittfan View Post
anybody know if bob mcconnell in urbana, ohio ever allows the public to check out his collection.
Posted via Mobile Device
Public, I highly doubt it and thats all Im going to say. You can catch some of his cars at high end shows like Ault Park and other Concourse d elegance events, Vintage Indy meets. Do a search, There are some pics at shows. Seems like a very busy man and any one of his cars at a show is worth the price of admission.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > don smith racecar museum