IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cameras in Arizona
1/4/10, 2:22 PM   #1
Cameras in Arizona
Jerry Spencer

Some of you may have had the ticket come in the mail due to a traffic camera placed on the roadways in Arizona. I was listening to the trucking show on wlw 700 overnight and it seems the people of the state are refusing to pay the fines being sent out thus causing the state to lose tons of money, to make a long story short the cameras may be coming down soon.

Sounds like the people may have won a small battle against Big Brother.

Jerry #66
www.joshspencer.com

1/4/10, 2:55 PM   #2
Re: Cameras in Arizona
cmakin

Back in '06 I spent some time in the Phoenix area taking care of some personal business. They had just put the cameras on 101 and sent flyers out saying that they were testing them. Pictures were taken and the notice sent out to the "offenders". They were warnings up to a certain date. Of course, this became a challenge to anyone with a fast car to try and get bragging rights. . . . .

1/4/10, 3:15 PM   #3
TQ29m

I suppose it's old news now, but I read the other day, about a guy going thru a camera zone, saw the flash, looked at his speedo, wasn't speeding, so he went thru 3 more times, just to see what was going on, going slower each time, and still getting a shutter, 3 days later, he gets 4 tickets in the mail, he didn't have his belts fastened! Bob

1/4/10, 3:24 PM   #4
cshuman

Im not 100% sure but from what some friends from AZ told me, they send you out a notification saying you were caught speeding but it isnt a actual citation, when you sign the notification and send it in admitting it was you, then they send you the ticket. They told me everyone was just throwing them away. Must have been true.

1/4/10, 3:32 PM   #5
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
Some of you may have had the ticket come in the mail due to a traffic camera placed on the roadways in Arizona. I was listening to the trucking show on wlw 700 overnight and it seems the people of the state are refusing to pay the fines being sent out thus causing the state to lose tons of money, to make a long story short the cameras may be coming down soon.

Sounds like the people may have won a small battle against Big Brother.

Jerry #66
www.joshspencer.com
I was in Phoenix in Feb. for The Copper on Dirt. The traffic jams the cameras caused was definitely unsafe. All the cars were bunched up with no room to make an evasive move if needed.

With out the cameras, you had 3 & 4 lanes of traffic running different speeds, it strung the traffic out and made me feel safer.

On top of that a friend of mine was there in Feb. and got caught by the camera. Not only did he have to pay a fine, he had to pay for the expense of tracking him down through his rental car company.
BS

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
I suppose it's old news now, but I read the other day, about a guy going thru a camera zone, saw the flash, looked at his speedo, wasn't speeding, so he went thru 3 more times, just to see what was going on, going slower each time, and still getting a shutter, 3 days later, he gets 4 tickets in the mail, he didn't have his belts fastened! Bob
Urban legend.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/seatbelt.asp

1/4/10, 3:51 PM   #6
RichC

Perhaps myth, perhaps not -

I'm told that if you had out of state plates and got a candid camera ticket that AZ had no recourse against you in your home state.

1/4/10, 4:14 PM   #7
TQ29m

I never did believe SNOPES, they've been shot full of holes more than once. Bob

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
1/4/10, 4:28 PM   #8
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
Im not 100% sure but from what some friends from AZ told me, they send you out a notification saying you were caught speeding but it isnt a actual citation, when you sign the notification and send it in admitting it was you, then they send you the ticket. They told me everyone was just throwing them away. Must have been true.
This was in the NYTimes on Sunday, so I guess that's true. But, if you are driving a rental car, they will pay it, and bill you plus a service charge.

1/4/10, 5:10 PM   #9
Seadog

True story - They put the red light cameras to a vote in Cincinnati and it was voted DOWN. Imagine that.

1/4/10, 5:47 PM   #10
bojo20

I live in Mesa just outside Phoenix.Drive on the freeways a lot.Have never had a problem.They do not ticket you unless you are 11 miles over. If the limit is 65 you don't get tickted till 76 How fast do you want to go on a crowded road.?????????????? I am tired of the minority of people who are crybabies and feel they should be able to do whatever they want to even if it endangers some one else's life.

2 members like this post: Fontana180, SprintManDave
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cameras in Arizona