IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "From A Few Years Back" - Supermodifieds at Sportsmans Speedway in Marshall, MO.
12/19/09, 10:58 AM   #1
"From A Few Years Back" - Supermodifieds at Sportsmans Speedway in Marshall, MO.
Midwest Connection

A little supermodified history to look at while you drink your favorite morning beverage.

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with sprint car racing. But, I am posting this for those who are vintage supermodified racing fans and remember those great supermodified racing days gone by.

As we all know the supermodifieds raced all across the USA on dirt and asphalt back in the late 50's, the 60's and the 70's.

Sportsmans Speedway in Marshall, Missouri was one of those historical supermodified tracks that raced the supermodifieds - "From A Few Years Back."

Sportsmans Speedway Marshall - Home
Link: http://sportsmansspeedwaymarshall.com/

Click on: Drivers/Cars I, II, III, IV, and V - you very well might see some supermodified drivers you know or have heard of from those supermodified racing days gone by.

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri

12/19/09, 5:13 PM   #2
Re: "From A Few Years Back" - Supermodifieds at Sportsmans Speedway in Marshall,
williscrg

I grew up at the track when I was a kid. My uncles wrenched for Kenny Harper from Carrollton Mo.. Watch the "Dude" learn to drive sprints there. The most memroble racing I can remember was when the World of Outlaws raced there! If you have never seen the World of Outlaws on a tight quarter mile track, then you haven't seen racing.

12/21/09, 5:51 PM   #3
Re: "From A Few Years Back" - Supermodifieds at Sportsmans Speedway in Marshall,
GUIERGUY

Where was that track located in Marshall ? Is there anything left of it today ???

12/21/09, 11:51 PM   #4
1956offy

I spent many Sunday nights of my youth years at the old Sportsmans Speedway in Marshall Mo. The track was located on the North-East side of Marshall just off of Hwy 240 going to Slater (near the old drive-in theater). The track was originally known as Sportsmans Speedway but the name was changed to Saline County Speedway after it was sold. The track was completely torn down over 20 years ago and no parts of it remain today.
Many of the top drivers of the day competed there on occasion ... Kinser, Swindell, Tim Green, Bill Utz, Danny Lasoski and his dad among others. However, I don't think that there was ever a World of Outlaws race held there. Great racing there .... many fond memories from that joint.

12/26/10, 7:24 PM   #5
Re: "From A Few Years Back" - Supermodifieds
WB Moore

My DAD Clyde (Red) Moore, & Mom Alline were friends of Junior Copas & Ida( I think was Her name) ! He helped build the track, which was originally,a 1/4 mile high banked, then later they made it a 1/3 mile! My Dad was a mechanic for Bob Micheals race car! We spent a lot of Sundays there! I don't remember exactly how old I was but I think I was around six or seven years old! I remember Torch Alshire ( He was my Hero) race car driver! He drove a Studeabaker engine. I also remember Danny Woods I think? He raced a midget when they came. Also a Jud larson,Tommy Micheals, Walter Sorreals( not sure about spelling), Russel and Roy Hibbert, Bill Utz,Jim Jenkins,Woody Carpenter,Scotty Scofield,Leroy Raines,Ect, and the late great Ken Taylor. That was one of the nights I didn't go! He wrecked His car that night, and got killed! I heard that when they announced He had died , everyone got up and left, I know I would have!!!!!! There was a lot of great racing action there, and many great drivers over the years, and I saw the cars go through a lot of changes over the years! and have many fond memories!!!! It is sad to know there is no more track!! WB Moore

12/26/10, 8:11 PM   #6
petey

I've seen this webpage before. Always good to see it pop up from time to time.

A good ten years before I was born, my parents lived in Sweet Springs, Mo. and my dad attended a few races at Marshall. He was at the infamous race that Hooker Hood won in 67 which was called the Short Track Nats. I think he said it paid $5K to win (good money for that time) but there were all these really good cars there. Guys like the Weld's, Jay Woodside, Thad Dosher and I think Ray Lee Goodwin. And here was this outlaw from Memphis who was a few years older that came up and gave them all a butt kicking on the track haha. Hooker mentioned this race in an article about Rickey a couple of years ago in Sprint Car and Midget. The picture of Hooker on the second page of the website (#99 car with duals on the right rear) might have been the same car because my dad always talked about the duals.

12/26/10, 10:09 PM   #7
DanGitt

I 'm not sure if the World of Outlaws sanctioned a race at Saline County Speedway, but in the early 80's after the Outlaws raced at I-70 Speedway in Odessa, alot of them would come to Marshall to run Sunday night. After watching a weekend of racing on the big half mile in Odessa, we would stop to see some of the best dice around on the tight quarter mile. That was a great track, with alot of history.

12/27/10, 3:15 PM   #8
1956offy

Many of the top drivers from the World of Outlaws did stop by and race at the old Marshall Speedway on occasion. Back in the seventies, an event called the "Missouri Sprint Nationals" was held each year at the State Fairgrounds 1/2 mile track in Sedalia and most of the drivers competing there would venture over to Marshall for the Sunday night of racing action. I remember Steve and Sammy, Tim Green, Garry Rush, and all of the mid-west area drivers competing against the local stars like Ken Taylor, Bill Utz, Tom Corbin, Tiger Bob Williams, Ray Lee Goodwin, and the Hibbard brothers. The place had the best race burgers and popcorn of all time.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "From A Few Years Back" - Supermodifieds at Sportsmans Speedway in Marshall, MO.