IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Manzanita being torn down
11/30/09, 10:01 AM   #1
Manzanita being torn down
Gapinski

The demolition of Manzanita Speedway continues. The entire wall around the track has been taken down, the track surface has been leveled, all fences removed, over half the grandstand remains. The main concession stand in the infield the only thing still standing.

The track is locked, I gained access last week. Pictures are posted of the current condition of the facility on the National Midget Driver of the Year website: http://www.nmdoty.com. Click on photo page at the top of main page.

11/30/09, 10:06 AM   #2
Re: Manzanita being torn down
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapinski View Post
The demolition of Manzanita Speedway continues. The entire wall around the track has been taken down, the track surface has been leveled, all fences removed, over half the grandstand remains. The main concession stand in the infield the only thing still standing.

The track is locked, I gained access last week. Pictures are posted of the current condition of the facility on the National Midget Driver of the Year website: www.nmdoty. Click on photo page at the top of main page.
When I click on the address, I get the New Mexico dept. of trans.
Whats up?

11/30/09, 10:09 AM   #3
cowboyhar69

Don.

use nmdoty.com and the site should come up

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

11/30/09, 10:34 AM   #4
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I fixed the link...

11/30/09, 12:14 PM   #5
YeleynSmoke

This is just so sad. I surely hope that someone makes a site of memories from that place. Same thing happened to my home track. It had racers from Chicky Stockwell - Don LaJoie, Jimmy Smith and Jerry Nadeau. Those were my Childhood heros and I am thankful that at least there is a site I can go to for the memories. I knew I would missed it when it died- Just not how much. www.danbury-racearena.com/Track-History.htm

When I think of all the GREAT racers that have been through Manzi, all the hearts that they touched, I really hope that someone preserves those for the future.
Last edited by YeleynSmoke; 11/30/09 at 12:16 PM.

11/30/09, 1:03 PM   #6
IndyBound

There are no words to describe how much I miss Manzy. Members of several of the SC teams I know told me they made a trip down 35th Ave when they were here for the PIR race. I however have not allowed myself to venture into that section of town since I returned home in Sept.. I all ready miss not going there to race enough to see the track being torn down is not something I want to witness. Although I have been to Tucson and Canyon racing this fall they are not Manzy. There is no replacement for Manzy.

Patti

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
11/30/09, 1:14 PM   #7
FishBurger

Having missed out on Ascot, I am especially glad that I made it to Manzanita before the end. Got to see Brad Noffsinger win on a Friday nite prelim with a long time favorite, Richard Griffin, winning the 42 lap feature on Saturday night. Had hoped to make it back someday with Danny B., but alas it was not to be.

11/30/09, 1:33 PM   #8
interpreter66

11/30/09, 5:32 PM   #9
WRP

Im a Buckeye born and bred, spent my youth thinking there was no racing above Eldora until I moved to Phoenix in 1993-94 for about 7 months. Boy were my eyes opened in a hurry! The best sprint car race I have ever seen to this day took place on the small track. As I recall, it was a 30 lap feature and the top 4 battled hard and heavy, trading slider after slider until none other than Bob Kinser hopped a wheel on lap 20 battling for the lead. Bob climbed out, looked the car over, climbed back in, restarted from the tail and within 5 laps was back at the front battling for the win. To this day I can't remember who won(Mike Boat maybe), but I will never ever forget the race.

Gerry Keysor

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
11/30/09, 11:17 PM   #10
LocalYokel

(The subject matter of) This post sucks!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Manzanita being torn down