IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Motorcycle jump on ESPN tonight
1/1/08, 12:43 AM   #1
Motorcycle jump on ESPN tonight
Flatrightrear

A guy will attempt to jump 310 ft. -a football field- live on ESPN tonight. They are doing the pre-jump hype now.It does look like quite a feat if completed. Good luck, fella.

1/1/08, 12:47 AM   #2
Re: Motorcycle jump on ESPN tonight
okienonwingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
A guy will attempt to jump 310 ft. -a football field- live on ESPN tonight. They are doing the pre-jump hype now.It does look like quite a feat if completed. Good luck, fella.
I am watching it right now now and damm I pumped.

1/1/08, 1:40 AM   #3
tailtank

They keep refering to Evel Knievel but Evel did it on a much heavier bike and his landing ramps never looked as forgiving as this guys did tonight.

1/1/08, 4:51 AM   #4
Flatrightrear

Hey, I thought the jumps were pretty spectacular. That takes a lot of guts. Evel jumped at Caesar's on a full blown Harley Sportster-probably 900 cc's- that wasn't modified anything like this guy's bike was. Evel would have put a lot more showmanship into the jump tonight, too, and there will never be anybody to top him on charisma. His crash at Caesar's is still the most horrifying one man crash in the history of sport where the guy actually lived, though he was in a coma for a month afterwards and from then on insisted that the world was flat. It sure was where he landed.

1/1/08, 4:54 AM   #5
jjones776

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailtank View Post
They keep refering to Evel Knievel but Evel did it on a much heavier bike and his landing ramps never looked as forgiving as this guys did tonight.
so what kind of bike would you jump that kind of distance on tuff guy?? dag gone!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/1/08, 5:09 AM   #6
Flatrightrear

I just checked out Evel's jump on youtube and a guy had a comment that Evel was on a Triumph and not a Harley. If it is it doesn't look like a 650cc Bonneville but maybe the 750cc three cylinder Trident. Either way it was one heavy street bike. Man, did that guy do some air time tonight or what!!! :applaud: :checkered:

1/1/08, 6:21 AM   #7
chad

Evil jumped an XR 750 H-D the same bike that they were doing TT and flat track races on. It was pretty impesive but at the same time it had no suspension for the jumps he was doing!!! If any of you have seen the speedway GP which used to be on SPEED channel it was the closest thing to a sprint car race on two wheels I have ever seen !!!!
I will bit@@ for a few as to why they don't cover it anymore, but I guess Uniquie whips is a much better sell, although smoke even tried it down at the Indy speedway track. Go, Greg Hancock and I wish you ther best! If any open wheel guy would see this type of racing I will gaurentee they will love it!!!:thumb:

1/1/08, 7:05 AM   #8
nitroracer

Hi everyone, if the guy you are talking about is Robbie Matherson, he use to practice his jumping 2 streets away from my place in Horsley NSW, AUSTRALIA, on a local farm(check it out on google earth). Robbie comes from a beautiful coastal town called Kiama, just 10 minutes away. We heard that he was going to make a jump soon. He also rides with the Crusty Demons at times.
Anyway my personal favorite is Wingless Sprintcars, just thought i'd tell you that.
Everybody have great new year. Steve C.:darland:

1/1/08, 11:40 AM   #9
Biro 22

I don't know, this might be Evil's greatest. Turn the sound up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxgm5uM64hc

curt

:dologob:

1/1/08, 12:43 PM   #10
wbr

Jake and Clint remarked that Evels jumps were nothing compared to 310 feet, They didn't realize that motocross suspensions and lightweight bikes weren't even thought of when Evel was doing his jumps. They couldn't believe the snake river jump with the rocket, he was truly unafraid.

Yes the guy was Robbie Matherson and he made the 310+ look pretty easy. I wish he'd have rolled to the top of the ramp and then back down like EK used to do, that really gets the crowd going. Beats the heck out of watching a lighted ball drop anyday.
:shoutHappy New Year!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Motorcycle jump on ESPN tonight