IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many cars at Joliet?
9/11/09, 1:05 PM   #1
How many cars at Joliet?
jdull99

How many cars at Joliet? Anyone have a count yet?

9/11/09, 9:37 PM   #2
Re: How many cars at Joliet?
Midget18

20 midgets, dakoda armstrong quick time, zach daum 2nd

Joe Liguori won the focus heat race.

That is all I know, right now

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, polecar
9/12/09, 1:51 AM   #3
Anderson36

Guys/Gals

You might not believe me, but we had over 4000 people in the grandstands tonight.

We currently have sold nearly 7000 tickets for Saturday's final event.

Jimmy Anderson

9/12/09, 8:14 AM   #4
sprinthead

How was the racing last night? I hope it was good. I grew up going to the stadium when I was a kid. If we were not at a sprint car race elsewhere, we went to the stadium. With the cars being so much faster these days, I just wondered how good the racing would be now.

Thanks

9/12/09, 10:05 AM   #5
psullivan

It was a great night - was the racing spectacular? Depends on your yardstick. No if you are talking about side by side racing. The thing is, in so may ways, the actual racing was irrelevant. The setting was great, it was a beautiful night, you were close to the action, and just being there meant so much to so many people who grew up watching racing there. What it was, and will be tonight, is a great event. Everyone who worked to make this happen from Jim Anderson, Steve Thinnes, Bill Fries and others who made contributions - many whom don't know are to be congratulated. The cheers for legends and sons of Legends like, Jim Anderson and Danny Pens was awesome. One of the goals is to remind people who came out that they are still racing midgets just 15 miles away at Morris.

9/12/09, 11:02 AM   #6
sprinthead

Pat,

I understand what your saying. I started going there around 1979 (I was only 4) or so, so I only got to see the racing there for the last few years and I always enjoyed the racing there. I wish I was able to be there...just the memories alone would be worth it. But not being able to be there, I just had to ask what the racing was like.

9/12/09, 11:18 AM   #7
michiganmadman

This was an EVENT, and the racing was ok. I had only seen one race here in about 1985, but had to see this race. For the time frame the promotors had to get this deal together, it was absolutely awesome! There was some pretty good racing to be seen, and at the stadium, you are literally on top of the action. If you can make it tonight, I would strongly advise that you go. TONS of people, a great display of vintage race cars and the most cheery crowd I have seen in a long long time. Not a single boo from the crowd all night.

To the guys that put this together, thanks alot for all of your hard work and effort, you did an amazing job!

9/13/09, 12:06 PM   #8
Crankin

A HUGE STANDING "O" for all the folks that helped make the "Last Stand" happen! It seems that not to often does something live up to expectation, but this sure did!!! The amount of time, preperation, and organization that went into the event, really showed in how well everything went off! GREAT JOB!!! You sent the "Jewel on 52" off, in Grand Fashion!! The rich heritage of the Stadium, was polished up & shined bright, thanks to some fine folks who cared enough to do it right!!

On another note: I have gone the last two years to the Grundy County/Mazon Hall of Fame induction, held each year on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, at Grundy County Speedway. This a very nice event, done by some folks who obviously work very hard, and volunteer their time! If you have any connection to Chicago area Midget racing, you should mark this on your calendar! The over 3000 pictures on display, and the memories they bring back, are certainly worth the free admission price! Let alone, what old friend you might run into! While this isn't the Knoxville HOF, it is really nice that some people put in the effort to preserve this piece of racing history!! Kudos!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many cars at Joliet?