IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P. Blackie Fortune
8/31/09, 12:54 PM   #1
R.I.P. Blackie Fortune
Joey Woods

http://obits.courierpress.com/Courie...onID=132095029

Damon Glenn "Blackie" Fortune
BOONVILLE, Ind. — Damon Glenn "Blackie" Fortune, 81, lost his 5-year battle with Alzheimer's disease at home in Reo, Ind., on Aug. 29, 2009. He was lovingly cared for in the home by his wife of 18 years, "Dot."

He is survived by his wife, Dorothy A.; daughter, Vickie Koutz (Jim); son, Rick Fortune (Kay) of Boonville, Ind., and Dave Fortune (Vickie) of Haubstadt, Ind.; stepsons, David English (Donna) of Rockport, Ind., and Leonard English (friend Russell Lock) of Owensboro, Ky.; grandchildren, Tracy Fortune (Cori) of Boonville, Ind., Tim Fortune (Marcia) of Evansville, Damon and Troy Fortune, both of Haubstadt, Michael Koutz of Winter Garden, Fla., and David Jr. and John English, both of Rockport; great-grandchildren, Tristan, Molly, Sami and Cole Fortune; sister, Dolores Greenlee; brothers, Pete Fortune and Jim Fortune, both of Boonville; and several nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Travis and Ethel, brothers, Tony and Curt, great-grandchild, Cooper Fortune; sister-in-law, Marlene, and mother-in-law, Edna.

Blackie was a self-made entrepreneur in several businesses, but his love was the coal industry, where he owned B.F.C. Coal Company in Southern Indiana from 1979 to 1992.

His favorite hobby for many years was car racing. His accomplishments included several USAC car owner championships. Midget Co-owner Championship in 1979; Sprint Car Championship in 1983-1984 and 1985. Silver Crown Championship in 1985. Some of his drivers included: Ken Schrader, Rick Hood, Wes Stafford, Rich Vogler, George Snider, Larry Gates and Mel Kenyon.

Funeral services 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2009, at Koehler Funeral Home Boonville Chapel, with burial in Maple Grove Cemetery in Boonville.

Friends may call from 1 to 8 p.m. Tuesday and from 9 a.m. to services Wednesday at Koehler Funeral Home Boonville Chapel.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Spencer County Hospice, Alzheimer's Association or the Hoosier Girls State.

A special thanks to hospice nurses for their loving care, Beth Keith, Nancy Young and Mary McNeil.

Condolences and any special remembrance may be made online at www.koehlerfuneralhome.com
Last edited by Joey Woods; 8/31/09 at 1:01 PM.

8/31/09, 1:09 PM   #2
Re: R.I.P. Blackie Fortune
LEADERS EDGE

Hate to hear that.

8/31/09, 2:00 PM   #3
Hubie

May he rest in peace

He sure put a lot of great cars on the track

8/31/09, 3:14 PM   #4
riskybrisky5

R.I.P. Blackie thoughts and prayers for the whole Fortune family. I have a lot of great memories of the yellow #39. The Fortunes were always a class act. They also had some awesome drivers. Here are a few I can think of Ken Schrader, Rick Hood, Rich Vogler, and Jack Hewitt. I watched all those guys drive for them. I didn't get to see Larry Gates, Wes Stafford, George Snider or Mel Kenyon drive there car. Who else drove for Blackie?
Last edited by riskybrisky5; 8/31/09 at 3:18 PM.

8/31/09, 4:47 PM   #5
Poorboyjocko

Thanks for all the good memories and racing that you and your team put together. Hood and Vogler were a class act in your cars. You were the team to beat in the mid 80's and it was always a job to get that done. R.I.P.- I know life has been a long journey for you and your family. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THOSE MEMORIES.

Phil Poor
Stoops Racing

8/31/09, 5:08 PM   #6
39wrench

Steve Cannon drove his silver crown car before Schrader. Great racer and friend will be missed by all who knew "the Cat". He was a hard man to work for, but he always got the results he wanted, and that was winning. Blackie and old man Waters loved to race together. RIP Blackie.

wrench39
Donnie Waters

8/31/09, 6:59 PM   #7
Gregg

The only time I ever seen Mel Kenyon in a silver crown car was in the yellow #39.

My condolences to the Fortune family.

8/31/09, 7:08 PM   #8
mortboyz

The Rose Bros. Trucking #39 took my hero Kenny Schrader to his USAC Sprint Car Championship, and has always been one of my favorite cars/paint jobs. They always seemed to have top notch equipment.
Didn't the nose of Blackies' Champ car have lettered something like..."This is a Real Race car, we don't race on parking lots!"

R.I.P. Mr. Fortune

8/31/09, 9:33 PM   #9
Ovalmeister

Sorry to hear about Blackie. He sure was a dedicated fixture in the sport. Always had great equipment with more than capable drivers. He will be missed.
David.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post
The Rose Bros. Trucking #39 took my hero Kenny Schrader to his USAC Sprint Car Championship, and has always been one of my favorite cars/paint jobs. They always seemed to have top notch equipment.
Didn't the nose of Blackies' Champ car have lettered something like..."This is a Real Race car, we don't race on parking lots!"

R.I.P. Mr. Fortune

He did have some good looking stuff. Here's a few I snapped back at the time. Schrader driving. Eldora and the Indy mile, champ dirt cars.
David.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post

R.I.P. Mr. Fortune
"This is a REAL champ car. It doesn't race on streets, parking lots or airports".

I had a photo of it but haven't seen it in years. If I find it I'll post it. What a great line!
David.

8/31/09, 9:58 PM   #10
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Never drove for blackie but we had some fun times tipping a few rip !

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P. Blackie Fortune