IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there"
8/3/09, 5:23 PM   #1
"Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there"
S_Meekhof

Everyone has heard the saying that dirt is for racing and asphalt if for getting there meaning that the real racing is on dirt and the asphalt should just be for driving to the race track.

The first time i heard this saying, i seriously thought it meant that dirt is where the real racers are and people racing on asphalt are trying to "get there" as in to the big leagues like NAPCAR. Did anyone else see it like this? Maybe it has a double meaning.

8/3/09, 6:46 PM   #2
Re: "Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there"
midmad68

what are you saying...nascar should be a development series for midgets and sprints? good call!

8/3/09, 8:21 PM   #3
Kevracer58

I think a balanced schedule of dirt and asphalt races results in an exciting season and rewards drivers and crews who can compete successfully on both.

2 members like this post: 64chevy, reserved1
8/3/09, 8:54 PM   #4
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevracer58 View Post
I think a balanced schedule of dirt and asphalt races results in an exciting season and rewards drivers and crews who can compete successfully on both.
Ditto, best statement I have heard on here in a long time

Patti

8/4/09, 7:31 AM   #5
Dyno Don

I have heard it the other way around.

Pavement is for racing, dirt is for farming.

8/4/09, 10:54 AM   #6
john3g

I know this isn't exactly on the topic but I read a post on tjslideways about which pavement track should be covered in dirt. In your guys opinion what paved track would be better off turning it's self into a dirt track? My first choice would be the South Bend Speedway..I know it's on it's last leg and going dirt might be the shot in the arm it needs. South Bend is a great market..
Last edited by john3g; 8/4/09 at 8:33 PM.

8/4/09, 11:28 AM   #7
FishBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
in your guys opinion what paved track would be better off turning it's self into a dirt track?
Upon further review...........
Last edited by FishBurger; 8/4/09 at 11:30 AM.

8/4/09, 3:05 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
I know this isn't exactly on the topic but I read a post on tjslideways about which pavement track should be covered in dirt. In your guys opinion what paved track would be better off turning it's self into a dirt track? My first choice would be the South Bend Spweedway..I know it's on it's last leg and going dirt might be the shot in the arm it needs. South Bend is a great market..
Call me wrong if I am but I think Kamp is a Pavement track, covered in dirt. The front straight was moved out a bit as the fence line is the original wall.

Chuck

8/4/09, 3:12 PM   #9
Kevracer58

Quote:
Kamp is a Pavement track, covered in dirt
I'd amend that to say it's covered in dust. This is an ideal candidate to go back to pavement.

8/4/09, 4:34 PM   #10
wbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Call me wrong if I am but I think Kamp is a Pavement track, covered in dirt. The front straight was moved out a bit as the fence line is the original wall.

Chuck
I'll call you wrong if you want Chuck, but you are correct in saying Kamp was asphalt and is now covered in dirt.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

One from our webstore... www.kartshirts.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there"