IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Engine Manufacturers Meeting of Last Week
7/29/09, 6:07 PM   #1
USAC Engine Manufacturers Meeting of Last Week
pgray

The meeting referenced herein was scheduled for this past Wednesday , a week ago -
Wondering if anyone has any insight into what may have come down ?

From Curt Cavin , IndyStar - July 17th - http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...otential+races

"Also, next week is USAC's engine manufacturer meeting that will focus on a new platform for the midget division".
"There are currently five manufacturers, and engine life and a green initiative are at issue".

"Engines that produce upwards of 380 horsepower have been exploding at an alarming rate".
"They're like bombs ready to go off," USAC President Kevin Miller said.

"Honda officials are expected to join those from Ford, General Motors, Toyota and Mopar at the Wednesday meeting at USAC's office on 16th Street."

7/29/09, 6:19 PM   #2
Re: USAC Engine Manufacturers Meeting of Last Week
Kevin Miller

I can reply.

It was a very great start for looking at long term solutions for midget racing, with the focus on engine costs, including costs of development, initial build costs, rebuild cost, durability and time between rebuilds required. All major engine platforms were represented and contributed greatly. The outcome of the meeting was to pursue a common direction in an effort to reduce costs, with more meetings now being planned. Several solutions were discussed and these options are now being explored for feasibility for implementation. Expect more in the coming months.

Kevin

7/29/09, 6:24 PM   #3
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Miller View Post
I can reply.

It was a very great start for looking at long term solutions for midget racing, with the focus on engine costs, including costs of development, initial build costs, rebuild cost, durability and time between rebuilds required. All major engine platforms were represented and contributed greatly. The outcome of the meeting was to pursue a common direction in an effort to reduce costs, with more meetings now being planned. Several solutions were discussed and these options are now being explored for feasibility for implementation. Expect more in the coming months.

Kevin
Kevin,

Realistically is this for implementation in 2011 and beyond or is that to aggressive of a time frame?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/29/09, 8:07 PM   #4
cabjr111

Is the "FOCUS" on engine costs a play on words?

7/29/09, 8:11 PM   #5
Kevin Miller

There is total agreement that we want to keep open competition of current engine platforms in our National Midget Championship. We are reviewing both short term and longer term solutions, with our "focus" on keeping competition levels at par and adding no additional costs for teams.

That's all I can say for now. As some of the solutions that we are investigating come to reality we will be more open for discussion.

Thanks for understanding.

Kevin

7/30/09, 8:36 AM   #6
jontheturboguy

Honda engine all the way....

7/30/09, 9:56 AM   #7
Tim Watson

I hate rumors as much as the next guy but at the two shows i attended of Sprintweek many people were talking about USAC not even having a national midget division next year? Who started that?

7/30/09, 10:15 AM   #8
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheturboguy View Post
Honda engine all the way....
Honda announce a new grassroots racing program last week in Edmonton, it didn't include midget racing. It appears it's a step ladder system for the IRL.

The quote that I read was " Honda tells us they looked at getting in to the short track midget situation but found that building an engine to the various different rulebooks in place would be too expensive for their tastes. They wanted to build a single engine for all series but that just didn't turn out to be feasible - and with top line midgets spending $45,000 on an engine, that was not what they wanted to do."

7/30/09, 12:04 PM   #9
badcoupe

I'm surprised more people haven't tried honda with tha amount of aftermarket parts for the B and K series engines and the amount of power they can make, I know of a car that naturally aspirated makes over 420 hp. I think it's a large cubic inch wise for usac but the technology is there to do it.

7/30/09, 12:23 PM   #10
AL-BPW

There is an engine builder in Indianapolis that is doing R&D work on the Honda midget motor , both FOCUS and Big motor . It will cost less to buy, last longer , rebuilds will be less , and it makes great power (rumor is , it makes more than what is out there know).There will be an easy transition from "FOCUS " to "big motor " with just upgrades.
I think this help the situation you are discussing. Coming this fall.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Engine Manufacturers Meeting of Last Week