IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alex Pruett Memorial #56 car at Chili Bowl
1/18/09, 12:23 PM   #1
Alex Pruett Memorial #56 car at Chili Bowl
spruett

We are so glad that the car Alex spec'd and built with Dave Ellis especially for Chili Bowl was given such a good run by Shane Hmiel. Starting Wednesday night which was Alex's birthday !!! Of all four nights we could draw to qualify this one was very special for us.

Alex took a year off Chili Bowl to design and build a car he thought could win it and was determined to drive his own car in the Chili Bowl fom then on. He paid for it with his own money by selling his dirt bike , quad and trading spare parts from his old midgets and sprint cars.

Shane came away one spot shy of the A main and won top rookie performer in his first appearance at the Chili Bowl, a race that Alex loved more than any.

Alex's TV show Three Wide Life was at the Chili in full force covering the grassroots racers that Alex believed needed to be more recognized by the media. 3WL is the national tv show he co- ceated and his self developed part in the show was to cover these hard core racers and and fans. It is now seen in 80 million households across the country .

Shane after losing everything by his own mistakes has devoted his life to telling young drivers to not take racing for granted and tells them not to make mistakes as he did that can end the dream too soon. He does a piece on the 3WL that offers answers and an outlet for troubled drivers.

Thanks to everyone who remembers Alex and remembered him on his birthday this year. He loved his friends and fellow racers and everyone involved in the sport and would never allow anyone to dis a fellow racer/team or official over anything. His written goal was to help young people pursue their own dreams and we know he is having prizes and pie and flashing that goofy grin right now.

Again thank you all for being a part of Alex's life .

Steven Paula and Stefan Pruett

1/18/09, 12:48 PM   #2
Re: Alex Pruett Memorial #56 car at Chili Bowl
KOP

Happy New Year Steve! I came by the pits the other night and was told that you woulnd't be in attendence this year. I was hoping for a chance to say hello as its been a really long time. Hopefully another chance will come along soon.

I too was proud of how Shane represented the #56 in memory of Alex. As you mentioned, he did a really good job with the car and I know he surprised some people with how he performed as I heard such rumblings first hand. Didnt know Alex's B-Day was last Wed. Till this very day, I still recall kidding Alex about that once "long lock of hair" he had when we were running as the SCRA out west. The time I got to know him was a time I will always remember. He ALWAYS had a zest for life and was always upbeat even if he had a rough time on the track.

I also remember how he was in awe of Dave Darland when he won a SCRA/NWWC race here in Tulsa in one of your cars. He thought it was such a dream come true to have him as a teammate that night and get a chance to learn some tricks from one of the best. I will also remember his youthfulness and "happy go lucky" mannerisims each night hanging out at the track after each night of racing.

Everyone should of had a chance to know Alex. He was just one cool cat! Hope all is well with you Steve and that chance to meet again comes soon.

God Bless Alex Pruett

John Lemon
Owasso, Oklahoma

1/18/09, 1:00 PM   #3
spruett

Thanks John for bringing up that night at the NWWC we had so much fun on that tour. You two had a great connection

1/18/09, 3:48 PM   #4
tqracer65

I was wondering what channel i could catch the show on and when it is on.
Thanks
Brad Wilson

1/18/09, 5:22 PM   #5
KOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
I was wondering what channel i could catch the show on and when it is on.
Thanks
Brad Wilson
Go to the web sit at: www.3widelife.com

1/18/09, 6:40 PM   #6
smbpreformance

I have been looking for pics of this car and only found one quick one of it

Does anyone have any good pics of the car?

1/18/09, 10:34 PM   #7
racephoto1

AP, what a guy. If there was ever anyone who lived life to the fullest, he did. From the first time I met him, to the last time I saw him, he just lived it ! A great example of living and enjoying every minute of it. It just doesn't get any better than that.Check out the avatar, AP at the last PRA race.Sure miss that kid.

1/19/09, 1:20 PM   #8
spruett

He loved that Green Tecate car so much thank you for putting that up. He had really found a home in the "Big Cars"

Sean I will get some pictures of The Chili Bowl memorial car and email them to you .

Three Wide Life is airing on Fox Sports Midwest as well as The Lin Broadcasting Stations across Indiana . I dont know the schedule for sure but I will find out.

I am planning on having the AP Rat Fink tatooed on me in honor of Alex probably on my hand I want it to be seen at all times.

1/19/09, 2:43 PM   #9
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruett View Post
AP Rat Fink .

I have also been looking for a close up of that for a memorial I want on my upper arm remembering him, Joe Rebman, Terry Gibson and car owner Bernie Smith

1/19/09, 8:31 PM   #10
spruett

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbpreformance View Post
I have also been looking for a close up of that for a memorial I want on my upper arm remembering him, Joe Rebman, Terry Gibson and car owner Bernie Smith

There is a good picture of the one Alex used on the RIP Alex Pruett facebook page that I printed off and am using for the artwork. It was a sticker that someone in the regional midget series made up.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alex Pruett Memorial #56 car at Chili Bowl