IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar at Texas
4/2/23, 6:34 PM   #1
IndyCar at Texas
Pancho Stapp

Am i the only one who tunes in and watches the races from there? If i lived down there i would be there in a heartbeat. Breathtaking wheel to wheel action and dudes with solid skills. Hard to believe year in year out about 25% of the joint is being used. Whether you know them and can pronounce their names these guys put on one hell of a show at Texas. Bring on Indy!! FYI this will be #57, started in 65 the Jim Clark Lotus race. Sat in Tower Terrace.

4/2/23, 7:11 PM   #2
Re: IndyCar at Texas
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 22

Always make a point to watch Texas. It’s totally crazy the speeds and how close they get. Yes the crowd always looks pathetic. I’d go see the Indy cars there long before I’d go to NASCAR race. There were times I was holding my breath just watching.

4/2/23, 7:31 PM   #3
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Once again TV rules the times for race times. 11am start of a race? Wonder what the estimated attendance was. Bigger crowds at Eldora. Everyone wants more ovals races, but clearly the fans don't support ovals. Too bad.....white knuckle racing makes your hair stand up.

4/2/23, 7:42 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Really, Other than IMS, Where is it really supported? Road course crowds look sparse too.

BTW, IMS used to get heck of a crowd for pole day. Last one of those I went to, pick a seat, any seat. Oh, they'll show up about three for the concert.

2 members like this post: MassiveRaceFan, RACrappieman
4/2/23, 8:04 PM   #5
Blackduce

I do not know the correct numbers. Has anybody thought more American drivers involved could save this problem. Anybody remember going to Milwaukee, Trenton, IMS, Phoenix, and many others. As a kid I remember my heros were Americans. And we would even rib each other on what States the drivers were from. Even mechanics like Watson, Bignotti, Beckley, Kuzma, Epply, Brawner, and so many others who had pride.Then the rear engine cars came and kicked the dirt cars out. Then the American drivers were less and less.
Lynn.

4/2/23, 8:21 PM   #6
Will Shunk

Best race on the big screen in 2023. Leaders side by side, banging open wheels, 220 mph, turning into turn one. As good as Winchester & Salem USAC shows from the early 70's. Respect, big balls, big talent, checkers or wrecker is what we all clamor for at every race we attend. IndyCar @ Texas provides that every time out. PS. with this downforce package the 500 should be a slugfest to watch in May.

4/2/23, 8:23 PM   #7
Pancho Stapp

I love my fellow Americans but the series has changed so much. Now you have to have the dinero to go along with the talent and that keeps some on the sidelines. I am glad to see some of you respond and chime in on your viewership. I love the ovals and always will. Sadly no one goes and it’s a damn shame. Talking about tense and white knuckle TMS is all that and then some. Blows the “Cup Cars” out of the water. While we are on the subject a tip of the hat to Jimmy Johnson, dude had brass balls. If anyone tuned in last year and watched he wasn’t scared. Kudos

4/2/23, 9:41 PM   #8
openwheelfan1

We tuned in for the IndyCar race from Texas today and thought it was an excellent, entertaining race. My wife did see something somewhere this morning that they were moving the start time up (sorry, not sure how much, I THINK 30 minutes) because of incoming weather. I don’t know what if any impact the weather had on the crowd, but it certainly looked sparse on TV.

I truly don’t know what the solution is for oval racing and IndyCar. I think there were more people that showed up for practice @ St. Petersburg FL than for the race in Texas. Hopefully the turnout at Iowa and Gateway is better.

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97
4/3/23, 7:32 AM   #9
miledirt

Great race yesterday at Texas. Yes, the series really needs a connection to great open wheel talent. An up and coming guy like a, but not limited to, Buddy Kofoid would be good. Gateway, WWT always gets a good crowd at that oval

4/3/23, 11:45 AM   #10
BrentTFunk

I thought the racing was real good. Not a huge crowd by any count, but the place seats close to 200,000 I believe. Probably more there than it looked. Everyone says they want more ovals, but never go. IRL ran ovals at Kentucky, Chicagoland, Milwaukee and Nashville. All fairly close to the base of this board. I would bet very few on here who say they want more ovals bothered to attend.

3 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar at Texas