IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > From the qualifying thread
11/4/22, 12:11 PM   #1
From the qualifying thread
flagboy55

Some people on the thread about qualifying seem intent we need to change the sport in order to keep or get new fans. I would say I disagree and certainly qualifying is a very small part of the equation. It’s been brought to light from time to time on many different threads about attracting and keeping fans. To that I ask, what attracted you? I mean most of us were hooked long ago and still keep coming whenever we can, in spite of sometimes inefficient shows, questionable weather, and dust in our beer. To me it’s exposure that’s needed. And the kind that makes them thrilled to see it. You know things like controlling the uncontrollable, man versus machine, extreme power to weight, bicycling on a treacherous cushion. All the things that keep us coming back. I don’t know how to make someone appreciate that, but if we can find the answer I think it will go a lot further than format changes

1 member likes this post: Rcar
11/4/22, 12:19 PM   #2
Re: From the qualifying thread
2fast4u

First thing i would do is take most of those body panels off so you can see the driver fighting the car.

11/4/22, 12:56 PM   #3
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Some people on the thread about qualifying seem intent we need to change the sport in order to keep or get new fans. I would say I disagree and certainly qualifying is a very small part of the equation. It’s been brought to light from time to time on many different threads about attracting and keeping fans. To that I ask, what attracted you? I mean most of us were hooked long ago and still keep coming whenever we can, in spite of sometimes inefficient shows, questionable weather, and dust in our beer. To me it’s exposure that’s needed. And the kind that makes them thrilled to see it. You know things like controlling the uncontrollable, man versus machine, extreme power to weight, bicycling on a treacherous cushion. All the things that keep us coming back. I don’t know how to make someone appreciate that, but if we can find the answer I think it will go a lot further than format changes
What attracted me, in my view, is of no consequence I'm from a different generation. I think we need to do things that attract a new generation and thats why I brought up the subject in the first place. To get exposure you need to run a program that moves along quickly and that may be more important than the things that make all of us excited about the sport. Hopefully having our races on flo will help with the exposure part. Alot of this generation is bored easily, watch the ones that are there and you will see their heads down looking at their phones. I think if they watch they will see an entertaining product on the track but in alot of cases they arent willing to invest much more time than they would going to a movie or a baseball or basketball game. We need to advertise on platforms they are using and then deliver a short exciting show that doesnt last more than about 2.5-3 hrs. IMHO thats what will bring them back for more.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Last edited by racefan20; 11/4/22 at 1:00 PM.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Grocery Guy, tirespinner
11/4/22, 1:32 PM   #4
The55

Dead time is a killer. I know most folks don’t like support classes but having lengthy periods of time with no cars on the track can’t be entertaining to younger folks. My cousin is a fan of racing but not a sprint car fanatic like most here. When I go with him to the track he is interested in other classes and feels like he is getting more for his money. Don’t need 5 classes but nothing wrong with a second car type (especially a class that doesn’t require push starts for the frequent spins). Having said that, I would always vote for sprint/midget doubleheaders. Above all, promotion is the biggest problem. Sprint car racing is drifting, not one at a time, but in a pack of cars. The younger generation seem to like drifting, they just need to be exposed to sprint cars. How do they even know it exists?

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner, TNRustler
11/4/22, 2:39 PM   #5
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
First thing i would do is take most of those body panels off so you can see the driver fighting the car.
Take all those body panels off a wingless car and see how much advertising space is left on there for sponsors. That big, ugly rolling billboard that you all hate so much on an outlaw sprint is the biggest difference in sponsorship money. With a wingless sprint or midget, you've got the side of the hood, maybe the center, and most importantly, the mud shield. You've got to squeeze all the contingency stickers on there, so you put them on the rear close out panels and the lower side panels (often obscured by the nerf bar).

When we graduated from a winged mini sprint to a midget, I was amazed at how little space we had to work with...

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, racefan20, tirespinner
11/4/22, 2:47 PM   #6
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
What attracted me, in my view, is of no consequence I'm from a different generation. I think we need to do things that attract a new generation and thats why I brought up the subject in the first place....
Strong Agreement here. As the great Joe Dirt said, "It's not what you like, it's the consumer."

Now you might like snakes and sparklers, but the kids today like black cats, roman candles, screaming mimis, hüsker düs, hüsker don'ts, cherry bombs, etc...

11/4/22, 2:48 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Most movies are two hours. Long ones, three. Most shows (Heats don't start till 7-7:30. If they're done with the main class or at least well underway by 10:30 thats fine, What goes on before 7 is a bonus to me. Of course I liked to go when the gates opened and just be at the track for a hour before any car hit the track, No matter the track.

Dad took us as kids. That kinda fizzled as teen, But when I got my license I was at the track, not cruising and getting in trouble on saturday night, I had six other nights to do that

Twenty years later IOW or USACFans comes along and I meet a lot of people from the board, We see each other at the tracks, They've become family, At least friends to the point you could pick up a conversation you had in may later in august. Lost a lot of em but still enough to see a few at any race in IN. Also Unlce or dad or both make about half the local shows with me and Im glad to have that.

I agree a hundred percent on getting fans and racers together as often as possible. I used to love Gas Cities buy a fifty fifty and you can go in the pits for a hour before hotlaps. No need for me to be in the pits while their racing if Im not on a team.

Other things that I think work well is have cars and drivers near the entrance for a hour or so before hot laps. Gridding the cars if the show is quick and allow fans out on the track for half hour or so. Have a sprint car exhibition at a LM race and vice versa.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 11/4/22 at 2:59 PM.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > From the qualifying thread