IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SprintCar and Midget magazine
7/8/22, 11:19 AM   #1
SprintCar and Midget magazine
BrentTFunk

I wonder how many of you still subscribe. This month's issue has several great articles about things being discussed on here. The difference is the subjects have been researched. Dave Argabright did a great column on tires. He talked to people, and got more information than social media rumors. Pat Sullivan did a great column, as did Brady Bacon. Pete Walton also wrote an excellent one.
The good part about it is they talk to people who know more of what is going on, than we tend to. On social media, people want quick, simple answers to complex problems. I am just as guilty of this as anyone.
This is the only social media that I do. I took a one year break from all social media. Not only did it make me a happier person, but I believed it made me smarter lol. (There is still plenty of room to grow there)
Not sure how many subscribe, but in my opinion it is money well spent.

7/8/22, 11:37 AM   #2
Re: SprintCar and Midget magazine
racefan20

I still subscribe and yes there was some good stuff in this months issue. My question is Brent now that you are back on social media now are you getting dumber?

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
7/8/22, 2:32 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
I still subscribe and yes there was some good stuff in this months issue. My question is Brent now that you are back on social media now are you getting dumber?
That is not as easy for me to achieve. This site is it for me as far as social media goes. Fortunately for the most part, we all stick to racing and building friendships on this site. That helps

7/8/22, 4:13 PM   #4
Pitdad

I still subscribe. I rode Open Wheel into the ground. I rode Speed Sport into the ground. And I'll ride Sprint Car and Midget for as long as it makes it. I like possessing the history/information.

What the "digital" kids, and their uncluttered lives don't realize is, history is only preserved if WE preserve it. "Everything is on the web!" That may be true, so long as someone keeps up the payments on the website and maintains the URL. If I possess the hard copy of the magazine, I can go back and read, research, or relive those moments. It doesn't matter to them now, but someday it will and all their "digital content" will be gone because the server they stored them on crashed and they just never got around to backing everything up on "the cloud"...

The writing in Sprint Car and Midget is still excellent. I can't bring myself to read the last editions with KO's column because I always saved his column for last. Now I know that when I read them, they truly are the last words I'll read of his. Maybe if I just don't read them, he won't really be gone.

I know, "Sorry Boomer". AAAAH! You kids get off my lawn!

7/8/22, 5:20 PM   #5
berks co

Agree 100% the articles are information filled Bacon does a very good job

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
7/8/22, 5:33 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My S&M money goes to getting toward actual races and seeing them on FLO when I can't.

Don't know if it makes me dumb or smart.
I always enjoyed when someone in the know would set things straight with facts. Like Casey Shuman and others. Even if they were correcting me and calling me a idiot, At least I had the facts afterward. I mean I know not to take a announcers statements as facts and repeat em online now. LOL
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/8/22 at 5:35 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, Ken Bonnema, oppweld
7/8/22, 5:54 PM   #7
BrentTFunk

Charles, I thought of you when I read the article on tires. It was very well done and went deeper into the problem than what we see here.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tirespinner
7/8/22, 9:34 PM   #8
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
...history is only preserved if WE preserve it...
That statement really hit home for me. There's a certain series that I wish would get it too. When you volunteer to type their results for them, and they would rather do and post nothing than accept your help, there is no history to preserve.

7/9/22, 4:52 PM   #9
JackSam40

I'm with pitdad, I've rode them all as far as they went I read every page except for the drag racing, just not my thing. I only read i or 2 articles a day to make it last all month . Just sorry that they are getting smaller and we are losing some very good writers, but they need to retire at some point too.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
7/9/22, 5:06 PM   #10
badcoupe

Sandy, I’m pretty sure I know what you’re referring to and I’ve always felt you were the keeper of the history of that group, as well as being deeply rooted in it. You’re the best, in any endeavor you’ve taken on in the racing world!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SprintCar and Midget magazine