IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
north star (Offline)
  #1 4/3/22 3:42 PM
Hey everyone, new here. My wife and I are headed to the 500 for the first time and I was told to come to this site to get ideas for the week leading up to it. Any suggestions for food, racing, and other forms of entertainment would be greatly appreciated! We are planning on hitting up a bunch of tracks on our way down from North Dakota. Thanks in advance!

so far we're thinking on hitting knoxville on the way down, then Angell Park, circle city usac show, bloomington, little 500 or carb night, and then the 500.
PIT CART (Offline)
  #2 4/3/22 4:21 PM
Gas City Friday, little 500 Saturday and Kokomo Sunday night is my schedule. As far food Kokomo has a lot of great food.
2 Likes: oppweld, racer-x
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #3 4/3/22 4:48 PM
Buy little 500 tickets in advance if going. usually sells out by mid afternoon if not prior to race day. Really a race everyone should see at least once and have a race monitor app to help keep track of who's on what lap. Not too hard to do untill the pit stops happen and that happens at least twice. Only sprint car race with pit stops. It's a hoot.

Also a lot of sun block for the weekend and prepare for anything, from cold to hot to thunderstorms.

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: jdull99, oppweld, PIT CART, Pitdad
miledirt (Offline)
  #4 4/3/22 4:52 PM
I'm liking the USAC Silver Crown series at IRP on Friday night

8:05 PM - Indy Pro 2000 Freedom 90 Race
9:05 PM – USAC Midget Race
9:35 PM – USAC Silver Crown Race
4 Likes: chrismattlin, dalemo, duel, jdull99
diversified (Offline)
  #5 4/3/22 7:13 PM
IRP Friday night, Little 500 Saturday, Indy 500 and Kokomo on Sunday
The Old Coyote (Offline)
  #6 4/3/22 8:23 PM
Friday Bloomington MSCS Sprint Cars
Saturday Lincoln Park MSCS Sprint Cars
Sunday afternoon Indy 500
Sunday night Kokomo Sprint Cars

Real Race Cars Don't Have Fenders!
Ed
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #7 4/3/22 8:25 PM
Monday Lawrenceburg World of Outlaws

Charles Nungester
Pancho Stapp (Offline)
  #8 4/3/22 8:26 PM
Everybody’s taste is different but for me i am in the Gas City. Little 500, Indy 500, and #GYATK club myself.
2 Likes: oppweld, PIT CART
Jonr (Offline)
  #9 4/3/22 8:48 PM
When are you going to arrive in Indy? It sounds like you are going to be there very early in the week.

I would definitely make going to the Indy Museum a must.

Don't have any information about it, but are there any shop tours open that week?

Also, be sure that you have a scanner for the race. The track is so large that you have no idea what is happening unless it happens in front of you. Also, when the lineup card is published spend some time learning the cars. They fly buy you so fast that it is hard to pick up the cars unless you have some knowledge before hand.
4 Likes: jdull99, oppweld, Pitdad, sparky
addictedtodirt (Offline)
  #10 4/4/22 3:30 AM
I grew up listening to the 500 on the radio and I still think of it as a must have for the race even though I've been attending for the past two decades. A small pocket radio with ear buds has replaced the big ear muffs with the radio dial.
In addition to the museum, I'd recommend the short stroll through Speedway to Charlie Brown's for breakfast or lunch. Lots to see and do on this little strip.