IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Of Outlaws Non Wing 2022
12/11/21, 2:15 PM   #11
Re: World Of Outlaws Non Wing 2022
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Whats with the THUMBS DOWN, THIS IS A GREAT THING and if you read it, Really doesn't mess with anything else. Yet gives the boys and ladies some $$ to race for.
I think it has the potential to water down the fields. I think it is a "shot across the bow" aimed at usac. The USA sprints vs. the WoO back in the late 80's separated the fields, not good from a fans pov and don't see how it helped anything.
I would give a thumbs up if there was an event where the WoO winged sprint drivers had to race with and without the wing on the same day. The WoO racing group likes to blab about their roots lets see if they want to go back that far.

12/11/21, 2:20 PM   #12
Blitzman

Well the division in non wing sprints traveling series can't last long. This will put pressure on USAC marketing, or it'll be the slow death of USAC.

6 members like this post: bighd0522, billw, chrismattlin, jdull99, Leohr46, oppweld
12/11/21, 2:41 PM   #13
jdull99

IF it stays at 10-15 races I think things are ok (maybe better, with the purses, etc) but ya, I agree with things getting watered down...last week everyone was talking about the car count at Gateway...

Everyone will point out all the big field midget races, but you do not have to look too hard to find some lower USAC midget car count nights last year. I will have to look up POWRi on the rare nights they both ran the same night (not too many times) it hurt car counts. If its combo deal where they don't allow the latest and greatest Toyota engine and the newer 2.4 stuff can run in them, than great. The fields might be huge.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

12/11/21, 2:43 PM   #14
hoosier race fan

Sounds like an effort to get non-wing sprint and midget fans to subscribe to DirtVision. Flo has something for every market or fan base, and this gives me the impression that WRG wanted something to entice the missing fan bases to subscribe.

12/11/21, 2:54 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Sounds like an effort to get non-wing sprint and midget fans to subscribe to DirtVision. Flo has something for every market or fan base, and this gives me the impression that WRG wanted something to entice the missing fan bases to subscribe.
Thats a point and even with it, Im not paying Dirtvisions prices.

12/11/21, 3:29 PM   #16
dsc1600

This is definitely part of it, but if it means more races that pay greater than $1500 to win it’s all good. It’ll give more opportunities for the non winged guys to race for more money and keep them away from the $1500 to win local shows hopefully which of course waters down the National product.

1 member likes this post: spankytoo
12/11/21, 3:32 PM   #17
Rick Eaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
I think it has the potential to water down the fields. I think it is a "shot across the bow" aimed at usac. The USA sprints vs. the WoO back in the late 80's separated the fields, not good from a fans pov and don't see how it helped anything.
I would give a thumbs up if there was an event where the WoO winged sprint drivers had to race with and without the wing on the same day. The WoO racing group likes to blab about their roots lets see if they want to go back that far.
From the press release:

"Working in conjunction with POWRi and USAC to the extent possible and combining World Racing Group’s already established resources will allow us to expand the sport and provide more entertainment for our fans.”

6 members like this post: Big Mike 7, dsc1600, luckybuc97, motorhead748, nathans1012, oppweld
12/11/21, 5:23 PM   #18
kinser

I’ve been saying for several years that eventually someone would come along and pay more for a non wing series. So what is USAC going to do now ?? USAC has had a ton of excuses why they can’t pay more money. So are they going to step up now and raise the purses ??

2 members like this post: bighd0522, PIT CART
12/11/21, 5:27 PM   #19
Will Shunk

Dirtvision vs FLO is probably part of the equation as well as USAC's history of weak payouts and point funds compared to wing racing (2022 a step in the right direction). Not too many make a living driving in USAC vs the WoO. Also, factor in the recent departure of Levi Jones's leadership. 1978 USAC leadership loss in the plane crash created a void that contributed to the growth of NASCAR, WoO; and the USAC decline from the top. This is a business, so do not expect either side to cooperate and play nice. The fight for tracks, exclusivity, and teams will be intense very soon. Survival of the fittest. Watering down USAC's fields, just when growth is on the upswing, over time will further diminish the USAC's footprint in dirt track, open wheel racing.
Success for World Racing Group also depends upon available non wing and midget cars locally available to run the 10-15 shows AND a purse structure that rewards those local teams to bother to compete as field fillers. A word of caution; I am very concerned about speeds and safety at a place like Volusia once a nw sprinter goes tumbling.

4 members like this post: jdull99, PIT CART, svfd830, WinglessLovers
12/11/21, 5:44 PM   #20
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Eaton View Post
From the press release:

"Working in conjunction with POWRi and USAC to the extent possible and combining World Racing Group’s already established resources will allow us to expand the sport and provide more entertainment for our fans.”
Not buying it. Press releases are just words, a form of propaganda that is not always accurate. Maybe I haven't been around the block enough times but its hard for me to remember sanctioning bodies working well together for very long. Its always hugs and kisses at first then things get ugly and very few win. I am curious as to usac's extent of cooperation in conjunction with this effort.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, Kansasdirtfan, rmr6nm, WinglessLovers
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Of Outlaws Non Wing 2022