IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Of Outlaws Non Wing 2022
12/21/21, 3:45 PM   #131
Re: World Of Outlaws Non Wing 2022
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

5 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, luckybuc97, mc/rider, motorhead748, PIT CART
12/21/21, 7:16 PM   #132
tamati

What scares me the most is track prep, I know the winged sprints like a lot drier track than sprintcars. So if they race together are we going sit through a rubberd down track. I guess time will tell.

5 members like this post: duel, erich45, ISF, motorhead748, WinglessLovers
12/22/21, 9:28 AM   #133
dsc1600

I don’t think every event will be attached to an existing woo race, as was mentioned earlier thats a lot for a promoter to pay. Volusia, I-55, maybe Charlotte down the road makes sense. But I’m sure there will be standalone events like Spoon River, Jacksonville and others that also make sense.

1 member likes this post: ISF
12/23/21, 12:40 PM   #134
flagboy55

I sure wish myself and my buddies Stevensville, 76, Oppweld, Brent and a couple others were sitting in the parking lot at Kokomo having a couple beers discussing this. I can guarantee we would come up with the answers! By the way 76. I agree with your take about the Dirtvision broadcasts vs Flo. But only when it comes to the National series. The local tracks on Dirtvision are not as polished. Pretty much the same as Flo. But I have no complaints really about either other than the price of DV. And that’s actually debatable

12/23/21, 5:01 PM   #135
BrentTFunk

I am not a wing hater. I prefer to watch non wing. I have watched wings at a lot of places that no longer exist. Saw the Outlaws at West Plains, Kentucky Lake, Santa fe, the old I 70. I was at Dixie when the All Stars cancelled because the track froze. The best wing race I ever saw was the Hoosier Fall Classic, when it was still at Avilla. Haud in the Hampshire 63, edge out Hewitt in the Briscoe 5. Hewitt will tell you to this day that he actually won. I was standing at the flag stand, and I couldn't tell. I also think both the Outlaws and the All Stars are as good as I have ever seen them. I just have never seen an instance in any racing, where starting a new group has made anything better. Did any good come to Indy cars when CART was formed? When the IRL went against CART, it also set the sport back. When USA was formed and took top drivers away from the Outlaws, it took years for the sport to recover. When the NST split with the Outlaws, I don't remember a growth spurt for the sport. Sprint car racing is a niche sport. The more it is separated, and cars and fans divided, the smaller each piece will be.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 12/23/21 at 6:56 PM. Reason: forgot one

12/23/21, 5:57 PM   #136
TQ29m

I guess the best wing racing I saw was at Hales Corner, a long time ago, and the first I saw was at Paragon, even longer ago, but I still prefer non wing, just do.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, luckybuc97, oppweld
12/24/21, 10:34 AM   #137
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I was at Dixie when the All Stars cancelled because the track froze.
If memory serves me correctly (and that's a big 'if') it was supposed to be a 2 night show and Sat. was the night they canceled. They did race Fri. and I was there. This part I'm sure of: that was the coldest I've ever been at a race and it was in Georgia! I Know this comment is off topic, sorry.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, ISF
12/24/21, 11:12 AM   #138
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I prefer cageless but settle for non-wing.

12/24/21, 12:25 PM   #139
TCR57

I don’t post much but this thread has me thinking…
1. How many USAC / WoO teams actually have a budget to make a profit or break even at the end of a season? I’m assuming very few, if any. I also assume most teams have another significant source of income / revenue from another business, usually the owner’s other business. My other assumption is most consider it a loss and understand it as such, it’s the cost of passion (or addiction) for racing.

But… at some point the business acumen that made them successful in the other business kicks in and they look for opportunities to reduce the losses. Thus, more rAces or higher paying races, drivers that bring $$$, etc. come to fruition. Or they leave the sport.

I could be thinking WAY TOO HARD about this, but I just don’t know where any of this is headed, good or bad.

The other thing… do a google search of United States Auto Club form 990. Make up your own mind if they can pay more purse $ based on financials.

1 member likes this post: bighd0522
12/24/21, 12:50 PM   #140
flagboy55

By the way. I don’t know if any of you folks listen to the Dirt Nerds podcast. I’m lucky enough to have met and talked to one of the hosts. He was saying on a recent episode that most sprint car fans freak out when ticket prices go above 30 bucks. They were talking about the difference between Late Model fans and open wheel fans in regards to getting in their wallet when they reach the ticket window. I have seen many times references to ticket prices on our IOW. He might have a point. So now the new series is going to piggyback on to some WOO sprint and late Model races where the ticket is already $30 or more, what happens then?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Of Outlaws Non Wing 2022