IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #1 11/19/08 10:02 AM
How many remember the race of champions? Steve kinser and tell me who else was in it?
TommyTipover (Offline)
  #2 11/19/08 11:29 AM
Not sure about the "Race of Champions" but I do recall going to that USAC Midget race. Gary B. was racing. Yellow #18?
fifthwheel (Offline)
  #3 11/19/08 12:25 PM
Ferkel was there but couldn't fit in a midget as I remember
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #4 11/19/08 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by fifthwheel:
Ferkel was there but couldn't fit in a midget as I remember
HE RACED!:checkered:
cecil98 (Offline)
  #5 11/19/08 5:17 PM
I don't remember the Race of Champions but being from Cincinnati, I went to several midget races at the gardens in the 60's. I remember one where Ted and Gene Hartley were running. I believe Gene was in his 60's at the time? He had a chain drive motorcycle engine (J.A.P?) powered midget and won with it! I could be mixing Ted and Gene up but I thought Gene (father?) was the older of the two and had the motorcycle engine in his car.
Seadog (Offline)
  #6 11/19/08 5:25 PM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
I don't remember the Race of Champions but being from Cincinnati, I went to several midget races at the gardens in the 60's. I remember one where Ted and Gene Hartley were running. I believe Gene was in his 60's at the time? He had a chain drive motorcycle engine (J.A.P?) powered midget and won with it! I could be mixing Ted and Gene up but I thought Gene (father?) was the older of the two and had the motorcycle engine in his car.
I think you're right about that. But what do I know?:O:

I recall being there and Gary B. winning a race. It was during an ice storm and the winners share of the purse was something like $65! Ron Eden hiked the left front off the ground about 18" and Gary laughed his arse off when he saw that! Also I could be wrong but didn't the late Henry Pens also win a race there? Remember the wooden guard rail? That was about useless.
cecil98 (Offline)
  #7 11/19/08 5:40 PM
other than Hartley, I don't recall the winners but, I do believe my dad and I were at every race they had at the gardens. it was winter and, AT LEAST IT WAS RACING!
itsanonwingthing (Online)
  #8 11/19/08 5:48 PM
CLICK for - Cincinnati Gardens USAC results (winners & top runners) and a few other misc things

Keith Wendel
It's a Non Wing thing,.......you wouldn't understand!
btar (Offline)
  #9 11/19/08 6:16 PM
The year was 1980. Johnnie Parsons was driving Rusty Kunz's low bar Edmunds Autocraft VW. This was the car that he won the 1979 Hut Hundred. If I remember correctly, There was snow and ice that evening. Parsons was late getting to The Garden, so Duke asked Rusty to put Kinser in his car. Kinser ran hot laps only, because Parsons showed up. We had a very memorable evening. Those were fun times! OH YEA, I think one of the Knuckles brothers out of Columbus, Ohio won the feature.

. Parsons was late getting to the Garden. Duke asked Rusty to put "The King" in it for hot laps.

The 5 way chili was awesome.
cecil98 (Offline)
  #10 11/19/08 10:26 PM
I knew I wasn't imagining things, Keith!!! Thanks!