IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > non wing nationals
8/10/17, 10:05 PM   #1
non wing nationals
flagboy55

This is kinda a take off of the thread about the big money race at Mansfield. God bless the folks out in California at Perris who put on the big race at the end of the year. The Pacific Coast Nationals I believe. (I'm going to get there someday) But Brent mentioned a race coming up in a couple weeks for non wing cars that pays 10k to win and 1ķ to start. I presume he's talking about Smackdown at the wonderful Kokomo Speedway. To me this is the non wing nationals. All due respect to the folks on the left coast but a non wing national needs to be more in the middle of the country and in summer. I'm of the opinion, as much as I love Kokomo, that such a race should be held at Terre Haute. It's been tried I know and for whatever reason has never worked out. So, for my money, Smackdown is the non wing nationals. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I know plenty of you will, but it seems to be growing every year. Now that they have added the great new back straight bleachers, it should only grow more. What bothers me is that BOSS has a date opposed to it. I'm of the opinion that at least once a year, within neighboring states, we should schedule off so perhaps we can grow a true national race for cars without air foils. In my opinion at least one of these type race's would only help draw attention to this form of racing and ultimately benefit us all. I understand the argument why some folks want to stay away from big money races, but I would like to see an event, like Knoxville, that most everyone with a sprint car says they just want to be part of. I suppose that's wishful thinking on my part, what do you think?

8/10/17, 10:20 PM   #2
Re: non wing nationals
ISF

The high dollar event they run out at Perris in November at the end of the season is known as The Oval Nationals.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
8/10/17, 10:44 PM   #3
Sandy Lowe

Don't just single out BOSS. I believe Lincoln Park and Paragon are running sprint races against the Smackdown too.

8/11/17, 12:00 AM   #4
jim goerge

In a few weeks there will be a higher paying non wing race in Indiana . It will pay $12,500 to win and be held at probley best prepared track around Tri State Speedway in Haubstadt Indiana

8/11/17, 12:22 AM   #5
Kydehart

Great idea. Wish we could wish it to be true. It would be nice if everyone could agree on a night to leave open for something like this ahead of time but it does seem unlikely. I love the idea though...

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
8/11/17, 12:56 AM   #6
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
This is kinda a take off of the thread about the big money race at Mansfield. God bless the folks out in California at Perris who put on the big race at the end of the year. The Pacific Coast Nationals I believe. (I'm going to get there someday) But Brent mentioned a race coming up in a couple weeks for non wing cars that pays 10k to win and 1ķ to start. I presume he's talking about Smackdown at the wonderful Kokomo Speedway. To me this is the non wing nationals. All due respect to the folks on the left coast but a non wing national needs to be more in the middle of the country and in summer. I'm of the opinion, as much as I love Kokomo, that such a race should be held at Terre Haute. It's been tried I know and for whatever reason has never worked out. So, for my money, Smackdown is the non wing nationals. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I know plenty of you will, but it seems to be growing every year. Now that they have added the great new back straight bleachers, it should only grow more. What bothers me is that BOSS has a date opposed to it. I'm of the opinion that at least once a year, within neighboring states, we should schedule off so perhaps we can grow a true national race for cars without air foils. In my opinion at least one of these type race's would only help draw attention to this form of racing and ultimately benefit us all. I understand the argument why some folks want to stay away from big money races, but I would like to see an event, like Knoxville, that most everyone with a sprint car says they just want to be part of. I suppose that's wishful thinking on my part, what do you think?
Interesting points... I've been to both, like Smackdown better. But the problem is that USAC regulars go to both, Indiana & California locals don't travel cross country much. What to do? More tow $$? More $$$ to start?
All I know for sure is if you go to Perris, DON'T fly into LAX! Took me 3 hrs. to drive 75 miles & I was cheating, going in carpool lane when traffic came to a dead stop. Found out later it was a $400 fine... THANK YOU road gods! But I missed most of the 1st nite & was a nervous wreck... fly into Ontario, Ca.!

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, Topless77
8/11/17, 6:10 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
In a few weeks there will be a higher paying non wing race in Indiana . It will pay $12,500 to win and be held at probley best prepared track around Tri State Speedway in Haubstadt Indiana
I plan on being there. The difference is the Smackdown also pays $1000 to start and unlike Perris pays a full purse on the first 2 nights. This is the closest we have to a true national event. If it got more support, it could really grow.

6 members like this post: duel, Jbaldwin, jim goerge, mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
8/11/17, 6:28 AM   #8
double checkered

Make it like a "Superbowl" type of event. Track/Series champions in one bracket maybe "guaranteed starters". Everyone else in another bracket. Change the venue every year. I don't really like 1/2 mile tracks. Maybe one every 4 years. It would take a dedicated person, but your season results get you points against the rest of the country's drivers to give you your ranking. An overall series like ump. Depends on how in depth you want to get. Who is #1 traditional sprint car driver in the country?

Jeremy

8/11/17, 7:30 AM   #9
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

A lot of racing events of all types use the term "Nationals"; I think it originated with the NHRA calling their big events "Summernationals", "Winternationals" etc., the idea being it's a big event meant to attract more than just regional entries (and paying point towards a "National" championship in the case of NHRA). Outside of motorsports you also have the concept of the "National Finals" rodeo events in Vegas, which is a season-ending championship. The Oval Nationals sort of falls somewhere in between those 2 concepts; it's part of the USAC National Sprint Car Championship but it's also a fairly high-paying multi-day event intended to draw competitors from across the country. It doesn't go as far as being considered a season-ending championship decider but it's close to that in that it's usually one of the last races on the schedule. It fits the concept of "Nationals" terminology as much as the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, even though it's not centrally located.
Smackdown is much in the same vein; a good-paying multi-day event on the Championship circuit that attracts more than just the "usual suspects", so I would consider it analogous to NHRA's Nationals at LOR; a National in the same sense as Pomona but with just a little more prestige. Neither fits the role of a season-ending, "this is for all the marbles" type of event, but personally I prefer a Championship that's decided on a driver's year-long performance.
One thing that's too bad is that it's just so expensive to travel nowadays, it's becoming too hard for the Midwest guys to haul out for the Ovals, and the Left-coasties to come out for Smackdown; it's not the fault of the organizers that some of the "National" flavor is lost, it's just an unfortunate result of the way things are...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: fish, jim goerge
8/11/17, 9:14 AM   #10
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Get all non wing associations to co-sanction what is now known as the Smackdown. OPEN TIRE RULE!

2 members like this post: PIT CART, Will Shunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > non wing nationals