IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank
1/1/13, 6:45 PM   #91
treecitytornado

Well Tony said on Facebook, that these tanks will be illegal in the Midget Division next year, but legal in the Mini-Sprints.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: #1Brad Kuhn Fan
1/1/13, 6:58 PM   #92
Re: Midget Square Tail Tank
RoS&S

With all due respect sir I don't quite understand the issue of the square tank. It's ugly as heck and I get that it off sets fuel burn off. What I don't understand is if the promoter said it was legal then weren't the rules upheld? Secondly I understand the rising cost of competition, but if you don't run the square tank how does it drive up your costs? I am not being ugly are sarcastic here I am truly trying to understand your point of view and your stand on the subject.

I have found over many years of racing that fans in the stands tend to respond and champion cars that are attractive to the eye. The booing of Stewart is nothing new. He won last year with a classic midget tank and was boo'd. So the fact that he didn't finish either night and was boo'd was in my humble opinion merely an extension of the fact that for the most part many fans in his home state do not support him for what ever reason. Stewart is hard core competitor as can be seen in his other racing pursuits. Because he can afford to experiment with the car, and obviously with the promoter's blessing, should he be penalized for that? I truly am trying to be open minded and understand your complaint but at this point I am somewhat lost.

1 member likes this post: Modocer 57
1/1/13, 7:22 PM   #93
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoS&S View Post
With all due respect sir I don't quite understand the issue of the square tank. It's ugly as heck and I get that it off sets fuel burn off. What I don't understand is if the promoter said it was legal then weren't the rules upheld? Secondly I understand the rising cost of competition, but if you don't run the square tank how does it drive up your costs? I am not being ugly are sarcastic here I am truly trying to understand your point of view and your stand on the subject.

I have found over many years of racing that fans in the stands tend to respond and champion cars that are attractive to the eye. The booing of Stewart is nothing new. He won last year with a classic midget tank and was boo'd. So the fact that he didn't finish either night and was boo'd was in my humble opinion merely an extension of the fact that for the most part many fans in his home state do not support him for what ever reason. Stewart is hard core competitor as can be seen in his other racing pursuits. Because he can afford to experiment with the car, and obviously with the promoter's blessing, should he be penalized for that? I truly am trying to be open minded and understand your complaint but at this point I am somewhat lost.
There were different somewhat related issues as the thread progressed and I think you are mixing some of them up with each other.

1/1/13, 7:39 PM   #94
Tony Barhorst

Just speculation...but some of the boos may come from participants family and friends?...Plus...many root for the underdog. See my AJ Foyt observation from 1977.

You can bet if Tony were to run the Indy 500 again, all would be on his side from Indiana.

Tony is a throwback to racings golden era.

1/1/13, 7:48 PM   #95
JoyceGB14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
The square midget tail tank showed up at Fort Wayne this weekend. It was rumored that the owner of the car was verbally defending it as USAC legal. Here it is straight from the USAC 2012 technical rule book:

Car Construction / Body

F. Only standard type Midget Car bodies, tail tanks and hoods will be permitted..
I love racing and will agree with you that the fans do not know what goes on behind the scenes, but I am sure willing to listen and learn. I am not going to learn by being an owner, cause I don't have the dollars.

1 member likes this post: #1Brad Kuhn Fan
1/1/13, 8:11 PM   #96
Kit Henry

Seriously no matter what Tony does will get booed by some and applauded by others, the whole issue of the fuel tank is stupid. As far as I know it is not a USAC sanctioned event, so therefore the rule does not necessarily apply unless they were following USAC rules. Also why is it that the peopel on here that are not involved are the ones causing the issue. We have gone through this repeatidly with our 600's including the new one we brought this year, which meets th rules and was built to the rules. If you guys would like you can purchase cars, become owners and then complain, though don't sit here and complain when we are given a palce to race during the off season.
I agree with Tony B in that Tony S. is a driver like the days of old when a driver could drive all forms of cars just wish we had the funds to further Cap H's skills in that way, as we worked very hard for him to be able to drive anything with wheels from road course to asphalt and dirt ovals.
Let it go and lets go racing !

Kit Henry

4 members like this post: apexonephoto, RoS&S, Roy Bleckert, Tony Barhorst
1/1/13, 8:47 PM   #97
DonMoore10

As stated in an earlier post, the Rumble Midgets are under the umbrella of USAC rules which is stated on the Rumble Series web site. The promoter has the final say though and can allow whatever he wants. The initial post on this thread was made since the owner was alleging that the tank was USAC legal which nobody believed at Fort Wayne. The promoter deemed that it was not an advantage, so it was allowed this year. It will be outlawed for future Rumble events. Given the history of events prior to this year allowed many to be suspect. IMO, we don't need more expense with midgets as this is one piece of equipment that if cars were to start winning with it, then we start a whole new cycle of everybody buying one to keep up with the Jones. This is exactly what we don't need. Inovation is wonderful as stated by many on this thread, but we need inovation to cut costs, not additional costs.

4 members like this post: jdull99, mowerman, Roy Bleckert, shaftracing07
1/1/13, 9:49 PM   #98
Roy Bleckert

@ Don - The innovation ticket can cut both ways it can save some $ or it can drive costs out of control, it has been my experience overall the more peeps try to micro manage rules it usually turns out to benefit the peeps with more $$$$$

1 member likes this post: are39
1/1/13, 9:54 PM   #99
Puppy

Hey Tony, why not do an "open competion" midget race. A run what a brung.. At a small track where engine isnt everything. See what the tinkerers can come up with.. Can be dirt or pave. Maybe one at each, start small and see it grow. We hear enough people griping about the good ole days when outside the box thinking was the "norm". How about it guys? Lets see a show of support for Tony!...
Bobby Jackson

2 members like this post: are39, DAD
1/1/13, 9:55 PM   #100
dirtflinger

It's a fuel tank get over it Moore. There's always going to be teams pushing the rules. Cars wouldn't be where they are now if it wasn't for teams pushing the rules.

Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank