IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #36
8/27/08, 7:06 PM   #1
Andrew Update #36
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

One year ago tonight I was sitting at this computer reading the IOW board when the phone rang. It was one of my sons and I was glad to hear his voice. I always enjoy talking to my sons but as I listened to him talk I could tell by the tone of his voice that something was wrong. VERY WRONG! He told me that my grandson Andrew was in the hospital and that they had just diagnosed that he had a brain tumor. As he spoke I was hearing every word he said but I wasn't doing very well comprehending what he was trying to tell me. How could this be? He seemed like such a healthy child with no apparent health issues. How did this happen? I then heard Toby ask if I was still there. I muttered that yes I was still on the line but my mind was so very far away.

Toby then proceeded to tell me that they were planning on doing surgery sometime the next day and the surgery would last between 12 and 24 hours. He said that they didn't know much else but that they were working to get a surgical team in place to get started in the morning. I asked then what I could do and he said pray. I put out a thread then on the board asking for your help and prayers. So many of you have answered not only then but over the course of the past year. All I can say is WOW!

Well it has been a year and on this end it seems like so much longer than that. In speaking with so many people they are amazed that it has been a year. Quite a different perspective I guess. Many of you have been here from the beginning while others have joined the journey along the way. It has been quite a ride that is for sure. Thanks for being a part of Andrew's life.

The initial diagnosis wasn't very encouraging as it was determined that the tumor was malignant and that it was AT/RT, a very rare form of cancer that is extemely aggressive. Hardly the news that we wanted to hear but we had to play the hand that we were dealt. Andrew was given less than a 10% chance of seeing his second birthday and in March he passed that milestone.

He has been on chemo every three weeks since last October and he also underwent proton radiation treatments in Bloomington, IN five days a week for approximately seven weeks in December & January. His energy level and spirit absolutely amazes me. He will continue to be on chemo through the end of October. At this time they are looking into some additional treatments along the lines of preventive medicine to help prevent a re-occurrence. There are no known cures and this deadly disease can strike back at any time. We are looking to the future with brighter thoughts and hope. If you give to cancer research, thank you. If not, please consider it in the future.

I mentioned in my last post that this coming Sunday my son and daughter-in-law were hosting a Jumping Jungle Jubilee in honor of Andrew's accomplishments. If you are going to be in the Detroit area and are interested in attending please PM me or e-mail me for further information. If you are reading this update you are invited. No formal invitations have been sent as we wanted everyone to feel welcome.

The only thing that my daughter-in-law has requested is that you bring along a children's book to be donated to the Mott Children's Hospital. This has been the primary care facility for Andrew during his treatment. It is a wonderful facility and we are looking forward to giving back something for the children who are being treated now and in the future. I will also mention that if you can't make the jubilee but would like to donate a book please let me know. It certainly isn't too late to participate and I promise that every book donated will be delivered personally.

We were up in Michigan last weekend to visit and even though Andrew was not in a great mood, due to week after chemo, he still has that infectious smile that he flashes for everyone. I guess the old man is really a pushover when it comes to all of my grandkids. Andrew is doing remarkably well for all that he has been through. Not much seems to faze him and he keeps amazing a lot of folks many of whom are in the medical profession. He isn't out of the woods just yet but we remain optimistic that he will continue to improve and enjoy each and every day.

In ending this marathon post, I will again thank you all for the thoughts, well wishes, gifts and especially prayers. My family is truly indebted to you with the outpouring of love that you have sent our way. The journey continues and as my daughter-in-law says, "we live for today and pray for tomorrow". Thanks for your continued interest in Andrew. Hope to see you at the races.

mpadfield1@comcast.net

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/27/08, 7:33 PM   #2
Re: Andrew Update #36
Pat O'Connor Fan

Mike, thanks for the update. In some ways, it is tough to read them; in other ways, I do look forward to the news update. While I can be a hard-nose about millions and millions of adults, children and anilmals who cannot be blamed for their situations tend to get to me. Kim and I will be continuing to pray for Andrew and family. I mentioned to a stranger in Krispy Kreme the other day, "I was sorta grumpy when I walked in here, but when I saw those smiles on your kids, my mood did an immediate upswing." When you post a photo of Anddrew flashing that wonderful smile of his, it does the same, without the extra sugar of a donut. Give that little guy an extra hug for IOWers at the Jumping Jungle Jubilee, please.

8/27/08, 7:34 PM   #3
Dwight Clock

Mike, it has been a remarkable journey over the course of the last year. We continue to pray for Andrew and trust that God will see him through this difficult time. Please either post the address or PM me with the address to send books to. Thanks for the continued updates on a tremendous young boy.:thumb

8/27/08, 7:46 PM   #4
Mud Packer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
Mike, it has been a remarkable journey over the course of the last year. We continue to pray for Andrew and trust that God will see him through this difficult time. Please either post the address or PM me with the address to send books to. Thanks for the continued updates on a tremendous young boy.:thumb
Dwight,

You have a PM. Thanks.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/27/08, 7:58 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Thanks Mike. One year of prayers for Andrew and as long as it takes

8/27/08, 8:02 PM   #6
interpreter66

mike it's been quite a journey,please post an address where we can send the book's to, i would bet we are going to fill a library once everybody on here get's wind of this:thumb

thought's and prayer's as alway's

8/27/08, 8:26 PM   #7
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Mike, Thank you so much for the update. I will continue to pray for Andrew and all of you! What a strong faithful family!:respect:
Could you maybe just post the address on here so we can have it?
Thank you and God Bless you all!

8/27/08, 8:42 PM   #8
Mud Packer

Wow you folks are unbelievable! Since they decided on hosting the Jumping Jungle Jubilee we have been asked how people can participate if they can't make the actual event? I certainly didn't expect the flood gates to open and hear from so many people wanting to send books. Thank you all very much. Your generosity is very gratifying. You can send books to Andrew Padfield, 13978 Hubbell Street, Livonia, MI 48154. I promise that we will personally delivery them to the Mott Children's Hospital.

8/27/08, 9:24 PM   #9
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Thank you Mike!:respect: AND you are welcome!
Also just so everyone is aware there is a discount in postage when sending books. So be sure to tell the Post Office that it is books you are sending. Every little bit helps!
Last edited by racegal; 8/27/08 at 9:30 PM.

8/27/08, 9:59 PM   #10
pletchfan

Thanks for the beautiful update. My what a journey all of you have been on this past year. Through it all God has remained faithful. You have our continued prayers and support. Andrew is a miracle!! Thank you so much for address for the books too. Don't ever worry about posting a marathon post, WE LOVE TO READ!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #36