IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No Way Out 40
3/7/23, 12:55 PM   #21
Re: No Way Out 40
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

So how do Port and Lincoln hold 3pm races, done before dark and the track never gets black slick. This with Wings that suck out moisture.

3/7/23, 1:25 PM   #22
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
So how do Port and Lincoln hold 3pm races, done before dark and the track never gets black slick. This with Wings that suck out moisture.
Port Royal did get black slick, though not too bad. They also ran late models, which really are track killers. Lincoln does a good job. I think the size and shape of the track help. Also the type of dirt makes a difference. Paragon is pretty narrow, and I think it would be tough to start too early. Maybe 4 or 4:30 this time of year.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld, tirespinner
3/7/23, 7:29 PM   #23
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
While I can understand 92’s point about starting at 1, there is actually a reason not to. Let me just take a minute to remind people what happens to dirt tracks when you race in the daylight. This creates three problems. 1 the track burns up. 2 the track requires more work and burns up anyway and 3 people complain about the track burning up and freezing because it went too long. If the track can break even, then good for them. I certainly agree with Charles that I don’t put a whole lot of stock in forecasts this far out. But if the high temperature forecast is 42 next Thursday for Saturday, and it was my track, I’m postponing. Cold take’s the fun out of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Counterpoint for a 1p start . Were in early March with a wet and cloudy forecast leading into Saturday I dont think track conditions would deteriorate like it would during a day race in the summer. Keep in mind this is the opinion of a race fan who knows absolutely nothing about track prep
As an outsider looking in, do not forget that this race is a March gimmick/freebie/no one else is running event. The fans are starved for action. The hard core nut case non-wing fans will be there, especially when it looks like there will be no rain.

1300 start. 1600 start. If you race, they will come.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, mc/rider, OnTheHammer
3/7/23, 10:30 PM   #24
addictedtodirt

I disagree. No one wants to sit in 40 degree weather unless they are bagging a buck.
Not enough die hards to make this profitable and this from a guy who hauled to Bubba's.
Better to postpone.

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, flagboy55, Grocery Guy
3/7/23, 10:47 PM   #25
Stevensville Mike

But the 26th Annual Indiana Icebreaker is coming up at Brownstown a week later. That is the lure for these events - come out and brave the elements. If it is not raining, they are running. What are you - wimps?

The tracks running these events are playing on the cabin fevers of the cooped up fans of this past Winter (which actually wasn't so bad).

If I lived closer I would not even THINK about not going, but I am 3 hours and change out.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, NoDramazone2020, OnTheHammer
3/8/23, 6:51 AM   #26
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Keep in mind this is the opinion of a race fan who knows absolutely nothing about track prep
Aero always used to say "When in doubt, get the water truck out"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post

If I lived closer I would not even THINK about not going, but I am 3 hours and change out.
I used to go to Little Belleville after work on a Wednesday night to watch the Arnie Knepper memorial and drive home in time to catch 10 winks of sleep before going back to work on Thursday morning,and thats closer to a 4 hour drive.

This is a Saturday race with an earlier start.... Plenty of time to get here and be back home by 11
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 3/8/23 at 6:57 AM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing
3/8/23, 9:18 AM   #27
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

I have yet to see a Racing Family Press release.👏👏

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
Last edited by Dirtfan; 3/8/23 at 9:19 AM.

3 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, Ilovedirttrackracing, wildman92
3/8/23, 12:15 PM   #28
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Port Royal did get black slick, though not too bad. They also ran late models, which really are track killers. Lincoln does a good job. I think the size and shape of the track help. Also the type of dirt makes a difference. Paragon is pretty narrow, and I think it would be tough to start too early. Maybe 4 or 4:30 this time of year.
" Also the type of dirt makes a difference."
I think thats one of the biggest unknowns. If you travel you'll see how different they are: Pa. tracks are red clay, Iowa has the black river silt.... why is Brian Brown a monster in Iowa but mediocre in Pa.?

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Hustlin-Hoosier
3/8/23, 12:59 PM   #29
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

https://twitter.com/ParagonSpeedway/...ZL2jtk44g&s=19

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, wildman92
3/8/23, 4:22 PM   #30
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
" Also the type of dirt makes a difference."
I think thats one of the biggest unknowns. If you travel you'll see how different they are: Pa. tracks are red clay, Iowa has the black river silt.... why is Brian Brown a monster in Iowa but mediocre in Pa.?
Competition level in Pennsylvania is higher in my view.... to add into your equation......

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No Way Out 40