IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Races at Banker's Life
10/7/15, 12:20 AM   #31
Re: Midget Races at Banker's Life
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nungester View Post
how much does a 800ft steel barrier and probably a ten foot gate cover?
1/4=1320'
1/5=1056'
1/6=880'

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

10/7/15, 2:48 AM   #32

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

my guess is an 1/8 mile track at best. that's about the size of a NHL hockey rink which I assume would fit in there with not a lot a room to spare before the first level of seats. Building a track over night sounds like ambitious. Interested to hear more.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, treecitytornado
10/7/15, 3:14 AM   #33
treecitytornado

Building it overnight then rapid cleanup so the Pacers can have practice Sunday and another home game Monday. Doesn't seem realistic. I hope it happens, but a lot of things will have to fall in place very quick with no problems.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/7/15, 7:45 AM   #34
LEADERS EDGE

Building the track is ambitious , but not impossible. You can over come anything with enough people. The crews that work those arenas are great at what they do and are used to quick build outs and turn arounds. Will it be Tulsa quality? Most likely not....but I'm sure it will be safe,

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/7/15, 9:23 AM   #35
DonMoore10

I was not at Kemper but some of my close driver friends that were there told me the Kemper track could fit inside the infield at Tulsa. About the size of a 1/4 midget track. So do I want to spend my time and money watching full size midgets race on a postage stamp deal? Just because it's tied into the PRI crowd doesn't make it a good event unless you have nothing else to do but sit in a hotel room.The Indy venue was built in 1999, so its not new in terms of its flexibility. There is only so much room in these basketball/hockey places. There is dirt and then there is racing dirt. If they are going to use the moto cross dirt from Lucas, there is a big difference in a motorcycle race and midgets slinging dirt around, how much dust is created and how the dirt has been treated. Also, as I eluded to before, they are publicly advertising the 40 best MIDGET drivers. If I'm the promoter, I'm going to try to get the biggest names in AUTO racing, not the biggest names in MIDGET racing. So.... if you look at the list that I published on this thread, most of the names on there are not going to attract 20,000 people. So we will see in due time who these 40 biggest names in MIDGET racing are. Maybe Gapinski can publish who is 26-40 on his list. So it's academic to me that the 40 best MIDGET drivers should come from that list with a few exceptions such as Kevin Olson, Russ Gamester and a few others, not NASCRAP guys or sprint car drivers that race a midget once in a blue moon. Case in point: Kenny Wallace at the Silly Bowl last year... a major promotion disaster. We will see what this out of town promoter from Charlotte, NC does with this promotion. The only model for this event is Kemper, so......... To me this event would have a lot more potential if it were run on Concrete, not on a tiny hockey dirt track that was created a few minutes ago.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 10/7/15 at 9:43 AM.

2 members like this post: PAW, ronmil
10/7/15, 11:01 AM   #36
miledirt

Kenny was running for the first time ever in a midget... realistic expectations would be that he would struggle to make the higher features. But how was his being there a marketing disaster?

4 members like this post: cleatziff, LRP36, SpfldMile, wilkey118
10/7/15, 11:32 AM   #37
wilkey118

This might be a little off the wall..

What if instead of looking at all the negatives of this situation, we looked at the positive future events it could turn into.

Mainly a huge indoor event in the Lucas Oil Stadium?

10/7/15, 11:47 AM   #38
LEADERS EDGE

I do hope it is a success. I figure there will be more than enough quality drivers to put on as good a show as possible.

Who knows....it could be just right to put on a great event. The fist time I saw DuQuoin I thought no way will this be a good show and in turn they have great shows there.

10/7/15, 11:49 AM   #39
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
Kenny was running for the first time ever in a midget... realistic expectations would be that he would struggle to make the higher features. But how was his being there a marketing disaster?
Tim McCreadie is a great example of a non midget driver who showed up and took command of a midget. Kenny Wallace didn't.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/7/15, 11:55 AM   #40
Kellen Conover

I think the fact that the opportunities are so limited in this day and age to approach new venues, most people are just worried that a hastily thrown together event could do as much damage as it could good for the sport. But at the end of the day I think we all hope for it to be a solid event that they can expand on.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Races at Banker's Life