IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank
12/30/12, 8:39 PM   #31
addictedtodirt

Don had a beautiful black 10 at the Rumble. His driver did a good job. Brought it home in one piece. And finished higher than the squared off tail tank #2. So why start this thread to begin with?

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, koolaid89
12/30/12, 9:16 PM   #32
Re: Midget Square Tail Tank
EBookerFan

I attended the Rumble Saturday and thought the midget race was very competive. I did observe the East had an unusal style of driving which seemed to work for him but it sure slowed up traffic behind him. I understand that you earn your position and those behind you have to adjust to your style or punt you. It was my observation that #10 might have been able to close on #31 better than #61but that was not to be.

1 member likes this post: Geoff Kaiser
12/30/12, 9:21 PM   #33
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Don I have a hard time believing you are so gullible. Its the same deal as Sammy at the Chili Bowl. They put that on there to grab your attention and then you dont see the real trick. Its kinda like this
We have a winner!

If the rear end looks all tricked out, it probably means the really cheated part is on the front of the car.

2 members like this post: Lewis1585, UberKuhlMan
12/30/12, 9:42 PM   #34
sprintracer82

I know I dont run a midget at rumble but I am one of those guys in the 600s that has a bobtail car. Im all for having cars look different. I am very greatful that Tony allows us to build cars that fit the rules but yet they all look different. Other than the cage of my car nearly every part of the car was hand built by me and my team. The way I look at it if your getting beat by someone that has a car a little different do what I am doing before next years rumble. Go home, lick your wounds, learn why you got beat, and then refine your ride. For me its simple, more horsepower! I got beat by some very good cars. I knew I would get beat with taking a box stock engine that has never been worked on. Sorry if anyone thinks this is off topic.

Nick Landon
Landon Racing
#82 silver/blue feather ruffler modified midget

3 members like this post: fish, photoman, PIT CART
12/30/12, 9:56 PM   #35
WBR 3E

Years ago part of the fun of a night at the races was checking out the cars in the pits, admiring the creativity and workmanship of the builders and mechanics. The Rumble is a throwback to those days. The 600 minis of Landon, Sager/Bickles and John Ivy, the Munchkins (and Gamester's classic midget- wow) are well worth a closer look. If the open rulebook encourages this kind of ingenuity, I'm all for it.

Greg

12/30/12, 10:32 PM   #36
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I don't think anyone but car owners and event officials have a dog in this to begin with. I myself looked over the rules and it does say USAC RULES PACKAGE with some things open to interpretation by officials.

Don asked a question, Nothing wrong with that, But why to IOW? I actually kinda agree with the question, If thirty one showed up with USAC legal tanks and one did not..................

That being said, It is one of the few events where any racer from a four year old kart racer to a full up midget races in the same place on the same night on the same track with a former USAC triple crown winner, Indy car racer and three time Nascar champion.

As far as Improving Stewarts car? Didn't seem too............................................... ................

Let the circus continue.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, team3521
12/30/12, 10:57 PM   #37
mayor31

Funny thing is there was a midget there with independent front suspsion and no one has said a word about it. Guess you didn't notice it maybe cause you were to busy looking at wrong end of that car. Just stating a fact

6 members like this post: Hotshoe65s, jdull99, koolaid89, Modocer 57, SETracing, TQ97
12/30/12, 11:38 PM   #38
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Kimmel View Post
someone said you were calling it an aero advantage? Explain to me how this is an aero advantage indoors or a tiny track? And if that's not why you are griping then why?

Todd Kimmel

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mr. Kimmel for posting a quote I never said. Please do your research before quoting me on a public message with false information.

12/30/12, 11:44 PM   #39
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
The square midget tail tank showed up at Fort Wayne this weekend. It was rumored that the owner of the car was verbally defending it as USAC legal. Here it is straight from the USAC 2012 technical rule book:

Car Construction / Body

F. Only standard type Midget Car bodies, tail tanks and hoods will be permitted..
Best I can remember back when the Munchkin first started out back at the (USAC) Speeddroom races many years ago it had a square aluminum tail tank. It was a low buck deal and Mike did not spend a lot of money on pretty. It was "light blue" best I can remember. But it sure was fast!!!! Come to think of it many of the USAC regular racers didn't like Mike and his home made car much back then either. Heck they might have made that rule "SPECIAL" for Mike, they did thing like that.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/31/12 at 12:05 AM.

3 members like this post: schwarzracen27, supdh56, team3521
12/30/12, 11:54 PM   #40
huskermudd

I love the old school super modified round tanks wish more would run them (don't like the square ones though)

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank