IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank
1/1/13, 10:13 PM   #101
Re: Midget Square Tail Tank
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Bleckert View Post
@ Don - The innovation ticket can cut both ways it can save some $ or it can drive costs out of control, it has been my experience overall the more peeps try to micro manage rules it usually turns out to benefit the peeps with more $$$$$
Then we are all in agreement USAC writes the best rules for the development of midget racing, and we should use these rules as the template by anyone wishing to start other midget racing endeavors or races.

Or do we just use their vast number of rules--a la carte-- to rule out the cars and people we don't want to race with. USAC has spent over 50 years adding to their rule book and have very seldom ever eliminated any of those rules.

I was around when they ruled out the chain drive, and I think it was probably done more so because of the person wanting to develop it rather than any other considerations. If we keep using this reasoning pretty soon Don and very few other people are going to be able to own a competitive midget race car. I would worry more about the $30,000 motors than the $800.00 tail tank.

Tony developed a very good set of rules for his Micro Midget racers not by following the national rules but by putting together what works for him and his racers. He could also do this for his midget program, To Heck with USAC.

USAC outlawed the munchkin 35 years ago but they still race the Rumble and the Rumble only. That I think would make them a purpose built race car. What the heck is wrong with that. All of the other VW midgets would also fall into this group.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/1/13 at 10:34 PM.

1 member likes this post: bpa94
1/1/13, 11:19 PM   #102
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
I would worry more about the $30,000 motors than the $800.00 tail tank
FYI DAD: I paid Saldana Racing Products a year ago $1566.59 for a traditional midget tail tank. I'm not interested in buying another one to keep up with everyone. I own four midgets so, assuming the exotic tail tank costs near the same, that's $6266.36 just for tail tanks to keep up with the Jones. And FYI if you've read my posts on here in the past, I'm already worried about the $30,000 engine which is actually $32,500 for the latest Fontana and about the same for the new Stanton Mopar. No thanks for any legislation for more expensive midget parts. I'm currently near bankrupt rebuilding two exotic engines.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 1/1/13 at 11:24 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, jdull99
1/1/13, 11:35 PM   #103
DonMoore10

Can I show up next year with this?

http://www.legendsmodified.com/

3 members like this post: DAD, team3521, Wayne Davis
1/2/13, 12:03 AM   #104
treecitytornado

Cheaper to go Sprint Car Racing, Don. Sell your Midget stuff and get you a top notch Sprint Car. JMO

Posted via Mobile Device

1/2/13, 12:18 AM   #105
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
FYI DAD: I paid Saldana Racing Products a year ago $1566.59 for a traditional midget tail tank. I'm not interested in buying another one to keep up with everyone. I own four midgets so, assuming the exotic tail tank costs near the same, that's $6266.36 just for tail tanks to keep up with the Jones. And FYI if you've read my posts on here in the past, I'm already worried about the $30,000 engine which is actually $32,500 for the latest Fontana and about the same for the new Stanton Mopar. No thanks for any legislation for more expensive midget parts. I'm currently near bankrupt rebuilding two exotic engines.
That is right Don, The world is full of people who made a small fortune in racing by first starting out with a larger one.

But if you take USAC as the one and only way to race midgets, and the ultimate rule writers you will continue to buy those $1600.00 tail tank and bladder super deals. Square bobtail tanks would be much easier to build a bladder for and cheaper for the racer also, and the traditional people could buy the high priced spread. By being so specific about the shape of the tail the price also goes up.

That shape everybody loves so much actually started when a few budget racers started welding a couple of old automobile rear fenders together for the tail (I think they used 47 Chevy's) to save money and also look neat.

You were were lucky enough to race this past summer with a group that threw many of those old USAC rules in the garbage can, and because of that you raced with a much more diverse field of race cars. Heck they even let Mini sprints or as I would like to call them "1000cc Midgets" run with them.

If when their car count increases will you be one of those that would want to ban the chain drive Midget because they would be considered by many of the "Johnny-Come-Lately" racers as not a traditional Midget? I think USAC banned chain drive in the early 70's or so Right after the VW became popular.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: are39
1/2/13, 12:22 AM   #106
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Cheaper to go Sprint Car Racing, Don. Sell your Midget stuff and get you a top notch Sprint Car. JMO

Posted via Mobile Device
Never going to happen... ever!!!!

3 members like this post: midgetfan1962, Tony Barhorst, Wayne Davis
1/2/13, 12:23 AM   #107
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Can I show up next year with this?

http://www.legendsmodified.com/

THOSE THINGS ARE NEAT!!! I do see a lot of room for improvement in frame design. But the bodies are neat. Wonder if they make a down tube model?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/2/13 at 12:26 AM.

1/2/13, 9:39 AM   #108
Piedmont Push Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
THOSE THINGS ARE NEAT!!! I do see a lot of room for improvement in frame design. But the bodies are neat. Wonder if they make a down tube model?

Honest Dad himself
No down tube version DAD, the Legends Modifieds are another spec racing class from 600 Racing that were designed by Ray Evernham. The cars were built as an alternative to the standard Legends cars for the dirt. They are really neat to watch on the smaller dirt tracks but they get pretty spread out on the bigger tracks.

1/2/13, 10:18 AM   #109
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont Push Trucks View Post
No down tube version DAD, the Legends Modifieds are another spec racing class from 600 Racing that were designed by Ray Evernham. The cars were built as an alternative to the standard Legends cars for the dirt. They are really neat to watch on the smaller dirt tracks but they get pretty spread out on the bigger tracks.
We tried on a Legend Car several years ago. It would have been quite a step down from the Mini Sprints however. The other problem is they frowned on tinkers and people that liked to do it their own thing.

The idea of use our parts or hit the road left us hitting the road. The concept is neat, the cars are neat, but if cheating is to (not use there parts) I get turned off.

Honest Dad himself

1/2/13, 11:46 AM   #110
GasIt4

It's really easy to complain about this deal... I talked to Stewart when he was in line for the first practice on Friday asking him about the tank. I asked if he was going old school with it because the first time Fedorcak rolled that car out at the speedrome it had a flat back tank and Tony is an old school guy. He had told me and I quote "nah I'm just doing it to f*** with everybody, there's no advantage at all"... Well f*** with everyone he is doing because the king of complaints is at it again. Obviously the tank was no advantage because he was out qualified both nights for the first time ever at the rumble AND didn't even make it past the halfway point both nights. IMO the tank is just a conversation piece.... On a side note it looked pretty sweet!

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: Bill Gardner, Lewis1585, otgracing17, Roy Bleckert
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Square Tail Tank