IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run 602 Pro Sprints in '19
8/16/18, 8:31 PM   #1
Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run 602 Pro Sprints in '19
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Word from a Facebook friend John Gurley - He got this strait from a track official at Plymouth.
Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run the 602 Wing Pro Sprints in 2019 - Announcement coming soon.
Anyone else heard this yet.
Last edited by nathans1012; 8/16/18 at 8:50 PM.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
8/16/18, 8:37 PM   #2
captrat

I am still puzzled about running wing cars in non-wing country. Seems like playing to All Stars and WoO. So much for developing a regional feeder system.

2 members like this post: billw, Ken Bonnema
8/16/18, 9:27 PM   #3
TQ97

It’s still a feeder system potentially into local non wing sprints. In fact there’s some 305s that take the wing off and run local shows already. As someone who has looked at this class for my son, my complaint is I wish all Indiana tracks had gotten together and run the same engine (305 or 602). Having what appears to be the south as 305 and north as 602 just reduces the possibilities.

3 members like this post: OnTheHammer, spicoli, superstock30
8/16/18, 9:37 PM   #4
Re: Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run 602 Pro Sprints in
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ97 View Post
It’s still a feeder system potentially into local non wing sprints.
Really? Take a look at what happened at Bloomington when they brought in the racesavers. The racesavers now have a pretty good field of cars. The problem is that more 410 drivers have moved back to the racesavers than racesaver drivers have moved to 410's. And at least one(Marvel) used it as a stepping stone to winged racing. Now if they were wingless 305/602's then I might agree but in this example it resulted in less cars in the main class than before.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

8/16/18, 11:21 PM   #5
TQ97

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Really? Take a look at what happened at Bloomington when they brought in the racesavers. The racesavers now have a pretty good field of cars. The problem is that more 410 drivers have moved back to the racesavers than racesaver drivers have moved to 410's. And at least one(Marvel) used it as a stepping stone to winged racing. Now if they were wingless 305/602's then I might agree but in this example it resulted in less cars in the main class than before.
Notice I said potentially.....my reply was in response to the fact it was a wing class not being a feeder into non wing sprints, and Indiana being “non wing country”. It still has that potential. Perhaps due to lower costs it also has the potential of guys moving from 410 to 305. Those are two seperate things.

8/17/18, 12:14 AM   #6
ThrowbackRacingTeam

The nonwing 602's have taken off big in Wisconsin which is wing country. Makes no sense to run these with wings in nonwing country of Indiana. Then again, a lot of modern day racing doesn't make sense to me so I guess it fits right in.

7 members like this post: billw, captrat, kendirt, LUCKYONE, oppweld, PJ Wright, racefan20
8/17/18, 12:15 AM   #7
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 14

First bad idea of 2019. Mandatory tire rules equal to the 410's with 305 purse to try to pay for them.

8/17/18, 12:45 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It's Gaerte country, what do you expect?

The whole cost of racing could be fixed with a compression limit and a hard RR. But lets make ten classes of mostly dependent on one supplier and few tracks and dilute the whole scene.

8/17/18, 10:09 AM   #9
OnTheGas61

Race Count This Year: 12
Race Count Last Year: 10

Jerry Gappens, promoter of Gas City, received a call last night asking if he would be interested in hosting a couple Pro Sprint races in 2019 as they are trying to race at more tracks. If you look at his schedule this year, he had 12 different classes of cars compete throughout the season, trying to bring a diversified schedule (non-wings 410s and and modifieds as anchor classes plus rotating super streets, thunder cars, compacts, D2 midgets, open midgets, winged outlaw 600cc Micros, TQs, etc.) to his facility, which has worked pretty well. His Great Lake Super Sprints (GLSS), ran in conjunction with his weekly 410 non-wing sprints and did well, drawing 37 cars. Give him credit, he didn't run the same four divisions every week.

However, as this thread points out, there is a need to try to make non-wing sprints more affordable for competitors and promoters. Steve Sinclair and his NRA non-wing crate motor cars are enjoying great car counts and doing a good job with this up in Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan. Keith Ford found a niche for low-cost sprint car racing at Paragon as well. Engine costs are probably the number one reason so many sprint cars are sitting idle in garages and barns around the state!

5 members like this post: bighd0522, EBookerFan, oppweld, PIT CART, Will Shunk
8/17/18, 10:29 AM   #10
racefan20

To a certain extent I agree with you Jerry but just be careful you dont destroy your most popular class in the process. From a few grandstand pictures I saw the crowd was significantly down on the nights that Bloomington used the Racesavers as the top class. If you look at the points for just this season there are 5 drivers who have driven 410's in the past that have moved back to Racesavers. If you go back before this year I'm sure I could find a few more. Its a slippery slope be careful.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Plymouth, Gas City, & Hartford to run 602 Pro Sprints in '19