IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sid Collins
5/9/18, 4:10 PM   #1
Sid Collins
speed bump

Anyone remember listening to Sid Collins back in the 50`s .....He could sure paint a really nice picture of the race and each car..I can still hear his voice ...I got the 1955 500 dvd when it came out a few years ago ..and also the Fantasy 500 from I think it was WIBC ...I listen to both of them every May ....good memories of my dad & me listing each year drinking Ice Tea and just being together ....I miss them both ...
Last edited by speed bump; 5/10/18 at 6:59 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, racinrich, tigerone, tirespinner
5/9/18, 9:26 PM   #2
Re: Sid Collins
HDbill

Thanks for the reminder. We didn't have much then and needed even less. We didn't get TV until the late '50's. But we TREASURED that giant Zenith (with the tuning eye). I KNOW exactly what you are talking about. My Dad was at Omaha Beach on 6 jun 44. I was born in September. He and I never met until '46 when he came home. My ace buddy and PERMANENT hero forever. He took me to the midget races when I was 2 and I can still remember the smell of the Castor oil. But the absolute best was Sunday, Memorial weekend. He would be up early and cook breakfast for everybody and see that I was off to the early Mass so that I would be back home in time to "help" him find the a.m station that had the race. I would go nuts the first time I heard that voice "stay tuned to the motor racing network. You are listening to the Indianapolis 500, the worlds greatest spectacle in racing". We would both stand for the National Anthem and decide who we thought would win. My favorite was "Freddie Agabashian" because he raced at tracks near our home and it took 3 days to say his name. My dad would say "now see if you can tell me when the Novi comes past the miss". Easy Peezy çasue NOTHING sounded like the Novi. My Dad cried openly when we lost Tony Bettenhousen. I was stunned when we lost Sid. I am obviously old now. But I treasure those memories. And I get a golf ball in my throat every Memorial Day that I can't swallow. As the years have gone by; my appreciation for the people that we remember that day only increases. I end with that. The golf ball came back.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sid Collins