IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin
9/3/18, 5:21 PM   #1
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Track Enterprises ROCKS! Gotta give them a lot of credit lately as I did not expect to see a cushion last very long given the weather conditions and lack of rain leading up to it. It's was so cool to see how hard they were throwing it into the corners! CJ Leary was spectacular as he pushed the cushion higher and higher throughout the race, spraying rooster tails as be backed it in to turn one. It was like watching an old Wallen video except with modern cars at night. I've never seen them run so high in turn two, almost on the wall. Once again there were 3 distinct lines they could run and it made for incredible racing. I wonder if USAC could do something about fuel mileage or maybe just the crew chiefs. I'd hate to see the drivers have to go conservative just to finish, that nullifies awesome track prep and fearless drivers putting on a show that fills the grandstands.
Looking forward to the remaining TE shows at Terre Haute and after what I've seen at Springfield and Du Quoin, can't wait for more on the miles next year. Maybe they would entertain the thought of a third race in Illinois. Call it the Governor's Cup and alternate each year between State Fair speedways. Once again, thank you Track Enterprises for all you do!
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 9/3/18 at 5:23 PM.

9/3/18, 5:30 PM   #2
Re: Du Quoin
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

They got it run and ran a few years ago after a afternoon shower and Ballou was running high and so fast he ran out of fuel on lap 81

1 member likes this post: tristatephoto
9/3/18, 7:50 PM   #3
miledirt

Great post... great race... Americana racing at its best

2 members like this post: interpreter66, tirespinner
9/3/18, 7:53 PM   #4
chathamracefan

I think they could do a race at each track in the spring. Both sit empty except for flat track at Springfield on Memorial Day and then the fair races at both places and flat track in Springfield on Labor Day.

4 members like this post: jdull99, John P Huss, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
9/3/18, 10:48 PM   #5
Racer12

To finish first you must first finish. Silver Crown is a thinking mans game, to take the fuel mileage situation or the tire wear away would make it just a long Sprint car race. That is the allure of these cars, you have to conserve and also be ready to pounce when opportunity presents it self.

Bob

9/4/18, 12:55 AM   #6
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Track Enterprises ROCKS! Gotta give them a lot of credit lately as I did not expect to see a cushion last very long given the weather conditions and lack of rain leading up to it. It's was so cool to see how hard they were throwing it into the corners! CJ Leary was spectacular as he pushed the cushion higher and higher throughout the race, spraying rooster tails as be backed it in to turn one. It was like watching an old Wallen video except with modern cars at night. I've never seen them run so high in turn two, almost on the wall. Once again there were 3 distinct lines they could run and it made for incredible racing. I wonder if USAC could do something about fuel mileage or maybe just the crew chiefs. I'd hate to see the drivers have to go conservative just to finish, that nullifies awesome track prep and fearless drivers putting on a show that fills the grandstands.
Looking forward to the remaining TE shows at Terre Haute and after what I've seen at Springfield and Du Quoin, can't wait for more on the miles next year. Maybe they would entertain the thought of a third race in Illinois. Call it the Governor's Cup and alternate each year between State Fair speedways. Once again, thank you Track Enterprises for all you do!
Sounds like a good amount of moisture was either added in track prep or it had rained (like at Springfield)! Good to hear!

I know it would be pavement, but a race at Gateway to compliment - what I hope - the again annual (appears to be) successful Indycar race, would be cool! Espcly around that time frame...an "IL Championship" of some sort could be in order...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, tirespinner
9/4/18, 7:26 AM   #7
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
To finish first you must first finish. Silver Crown is a thinking mans game, to take the fuel mileage situation or the tire wear away would make it just a long Sprint car race. That is the allure of these cars, you have to conserve and also be ready to pounce when opportunity presents it self.

Bob
I’ve heard others say that it’s hard for them to get into silver crown racing. I get it that it’s not like sprints or midgets where it’s hammer down around a tiny bull ring with sliders at every turn where you are constantly oooo’ing and ahhhh’ing.

It is an endurance race. Tires and fuel often play a major role in the outcome. But to see these beautiful cars come flying down the straightaways on a big mile track then slam it into the corners is just amazing, especially under the lights at DuQuoin.

Leary was checked out for most of the race and we thought for sure they were going to tag the wall every single time in turns 1&2. Windom hung back quietly anywhere from 3rd to 5th and ran a clean, consistent race. And watching Coons come from the back and pick off cars one by one was awesome too.

It’s definitely a race of patience - both as a driver and as a fan. I have yet to be disappointed leaving DuQuoin. Great job by everyone!! Oh - and the fair food did not disappoint. My elephant ear and ice cream were on point.

We’ll be back again next year....

9/4/18, 8:10 AM   #8
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Ok I have to ask. What is an "elephant ear"?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
9/4/18, 8:19 AM   #9
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Ok I have to ask. What is an "elephant ear"?
Fried dough covered with butter and cinnamon sugar. You haven’t lived until you’ve eaten one.
Last edited by wildman92; 3/28/21 at 10:24 AM.

9/4/18, 8:53 AM   #10
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman92 View Post
Fried dough covered with butter and cinnamon sugar. You haven’t lived until you’ve eaten one.
That looks good! Thanks for the info!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin