IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are there higher paying late model races?
7/3/12, 3:53 PM   #21
Re: Why are there higher paying late model races?
Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjim2 View Post
Let's face the facts here....there's just more hillbilly late model people in the world than there are sophisicated open wheel people.
I don't know about that Jim, I hang with "BOTH" crowds....

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Diggsy, monkeyboy, racerjim2, smith19
7/4/12, 9:50 AM   #22
racenut69

This society won't tolerate half-naked women anymore.I,for one still have that appreciation!!!!! Political correctness is killing us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Outlaw View Post
this is VERY TRUE....Does the name Robert Smalley ring a bell?...He was the Ted Johnson of LM's...Founder of the NDRA (National Dirt Racing Association)...He was the 1st to offer $10,000.00 at every show he did

DR. DICK BERGGREN comments on Smalley...“it was there in Robert Smalley’s time and its there now. I think the difference between then and now is Robert Smalley had perhaps better methods of exploiting all of that. He was as you know an incredible showman and brought a certain sense of carnival to the events that he promoted which are absent today and which I frankly miss.”

“I think of the whole thing like the interviews he used to do on the front straightaway wearing that checkered vest of his and the near naked trophy women he had around and all the hoopla and excitement and all the stuff he generated is missing today and it shouldn’t be missing. Because the activity itself, the driving, the cars, the events, are all more exciting now than it was in Robert’s era. And I’d like to see some of that color return.”

I remember him in his Elvis style jump suits and the 4-5 women with high heels bikini bottom half tees with nothing on under the tee's...At Smokey Mountain Speedway '82 the girls was on the parade lap hanging out the window of the black dually and the wind LITERALLY made them hangout. But better then that over 250 Latemodels from ALL OVER THE NATION!!!

7/4/12, 10:10 AM   #23
awnunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I don't know about that Jim, I hang with "BOTH" crowds....

Yeah me too, guess jim dont fit in either group

7/4/12, 10:38 AM   #24
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjim2 View Post
Let's face the facts here....there's just more hillbilly late model people in the world than there are sophisicated open wheel people.
**** Bubba!! for once I've been left speechless lol...I'll have to pretend the guy at the midget week race at Bloomington I seen with no teeth and a wife that looked like she belonged on "Cops" was a figment of my imagination. Sophistication at it's finest!

seriously though, why would a promoter take a chance on a huge huge race when he can usually get the same cast of characters for a "decent" paying race. if I'm a promoter and I can get stanbrough, clauson, jones, short...etc for a show that pays 2-3k to win rather than 10,000 to win, I think I'll be taking the safest route in the checkbook.

with late models, guys that run both traveling series (Lucas oil, WoO) won't run anywhere else that pays less than $7,000 to win unless it's right in their backyard. look at Kent Robinson from Bloomington, he runs with the WoO and will run a race at Florence or brownstown because it's right here in his backyard, but he's sticking to races that pay $7,000 to win or more

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Chris Nunn; 7/4/12 at 11:16 AM.

7/4/12, 11:55 AM   #25
Chubs Peterson

Agree with alot of everything else being said. I am a big fan of any dirt racing, love late models and love sprint cars, winged and non wing, but that is just it, sprint cars arer winged and non winged which is basically two different kinds of cars so that has split up the cars and split up most of the people. Late Model car counts are declining some because of the Crate option which has eliminated some of the mid to lower level teams. Promoters take less of a gamble on a big late model show because regardless of when you have it you are guaranteed a solid car count because there are so many of them. A big sprint car show has to draw either the outlaws guys or USAC drivers or you are not going to get more than the same guys that always show up at your track, which basically makes it a normal show which wont draw any fans other than the ones that are already there. Non wing sprint car racing is great in Indiana and California and but very few cars anywhere else. and it will never get better until USAC changes some things, and we all know that probably wont happen.

7/5/12, 9:07 AM   #26
Keith Ford

Late Models don't run 6 different tracks on the same night, plus Late Model teams don't support a cut-throat track or series.

1 member likes this post: monkeyboy
7/5/12, 12:25 PM   #27
SteveD

LM's incur escalated tire costs and major dues levy to the National Taxicab Assn.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why are there higher paying late model races?