IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vermilion Co Speedway (Danville, IL) - Track Being Bulldozed
8/15/19, 7:55 AM   #11
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

LaSalle will probably be back.

8/15/19, 8:46 AM   #12
Re: Vermilion Co Speedway (Danville, IL) - Track Being Bulld
kdobson

Tracks can make it just fine at a fair grounds, but everyone involved with the race track has to understand that at most fairgrounds today, the track is pretty much there as a courtesy and typically the amount of rent a track provides isn't what could be generated from an alternate use of the space. That's just the reality.

The economics and entertainment options a fair needs to survive have changed. We are in a trend where Concerts seem to be the big draw at fairs. I know at Jacksonville, the concerts are and must be the priority to our fair board - and there's no doubt that the structure of the race track is less than optimal to putting on a real concert.

Personally, I think it's when the race track operators and fans lose perspective on the big picture when the track/fair board relationship tends to fall apart. Our policy at Jacksonville - and well-known to our fair board is that they can do whatever they need to do to the property without getting gruff from us and we will make it work. We do ask that they at least consult with us about changes that might affect the track so we might be able to suggest alternatives that have less impact on the track operations. Everything related to our race track is portable - so it can be out of the way for the concerts. Even our scoring stand is on skids.

Fortunately, we have a great relationships with our fair board - because we know we know where we stand in their list of priorities. We also volunteer during their fair to do a lot of the heavy lifting since we are the ones most familiar with where to turn the lights on etc. Tommy is out there every day of the fair taking care of things for them, watering, moving things etc.

But everyone in the racing community needs to know that at a vast, vast majority of fairgrounds, the race track isn't the main priority to the survival of the fair. The track is a guest.

Here's our race track being put to its highest and best use...

Last edited by kdobson; 8/15/19 at 9:03 AM.

8/15/19, 9:34 AM   #13
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
A sad day indeed! I didn't make it to alot of shows there, but I can say the on track action was always top notch. I never saw a bad race there. They should run one final open competition Sprint and midget show and send her out in style!
That won't happen, but at least the last race they ran there was the MSCS race back in July 2018.

8/15/19, 9:43 AM   #14
3wide

If I could just have Kenny Dobson's outlook and understanding on everything, my life would be much more simple! We need more "big picture" promoters and supporters in the racing community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
Tracks can make it just fine at a fair grounds, but everyone involved with the race track has to understand that at most fairgrounds today, the track is pretty much there as a courtesy and typically the amount of rent a track provides isn't what could be generated from an alternate use of the space. That's just the reality.

The economics and entertainment options a fair needs to survive have changed. We are in a trend where Concerts seem to be the big draw at fairs. I know at Jacksonville, the concerts are and must be the priority to our fair board - and there's no doubt that the structure of the race track is less than optimal to putting on a real concert.

Personally, I think it's when the race track operators and fans lose perspective on the big picture when the track/fair board relationship tends to fall apart. Our policy at Jacksonville - and well-known to our fair board is that they can do whatever they need to do to the property without getting gruff from us and we will make it work. We do ask that they at least consult with us about changes that might affect the track so we might be able to suggest alternatives that have less impact on the track operations. Everything related to our race track is portable - so it can be out of the way for the concerts. Even our scoring stand is on skids.

Fortunately, we have a great relationships with our fair board - because we know we know where we stand in their list of priorities. We also volunteer during their fair to do a lot of the heavy lifting since we are the ones most familiar with where to turn the lights on etc. Tommy is out there every day of the fair taking care of things for them, watering, moving things etc.

But everyone in the racing community needs to know that at a vast, vast majority of fairgrounds, the race track isn't the main priority to the survival of the fair. The track is a guest.

8/15/19, 11:29 AM   #15
TQ29m

How well I know, some it doesn't hurt, some it's a drop dead, gone deal for one or the other, we've had ongoing problems with fair boards, and the rides and stands owners. at the small fairs, when the race track starts, the fair goers, go to the race track, and pretty well shuts down any revenue for the food booths and stuff, it is a 2 way street, especially at fair time, a majority of the rest of the time, the track gets used pretty often, it helps pay the upkeep and light bill anyway, so if you look at it as that, then you begin to see it maybe more valuable real estate than the track alone. Maybe they can work something out, but sounds like it's pretty much done this time.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
8/15/19, 12:31 PM   #16
jonboat15

Thanks Mr. Dobson for your insight on how fairs and track need to work together to co exist. One hand washes the other. I gotta say you are one of most interesting and transparent promoters out there today.
Thank You!

8/15/19, 8:06 PM   #17
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I think they could delay wrecking ball to honor Bubby Jones and the Cannon Bros.

8/15/19, 9:01 PM   #18
flagboy55

Best post on this thread right there!

2 members like this post: oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan
8/16/19, 6:49 PM   #19
Joe Schaub

You will not find many better and harder working promoters than Kenny Dobson. This man will move heaven and earth to get a race in at Jacksonville Speedway. I have often wished he would hold a class and teach the next generation of promoters how to do it. While I may not get to the track in person as often as I used to, I tune in to his youtube channel ever time he streams the race. I will be there for the Herb Barlow memorial race this year. I know it will be the best race of the year that I attend. For that, I can't thank him enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post

4 members like this post: erich45, mc/rider, oppweld, PJ Wright
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vermilion Co Speedway (Danville, IL) - Track Being Bulldozed