IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An apology and a criticism...
9/19/09, 1:36 AM   #1
An apology and a criticism...
Jim Halpert

Having just endured a wild and crazy night at Bloomington, I must make an apology and voice my opinion about a matter that should not have to be brought up. After the Darland accident, and I am a huge fan of Dave, there was a bit of an altercation where another person at the race was cheering and applauding the fact that Dave had just barrel rolled down the back chute several times. This person was being very distasteful and obviously had no regard for Dave's safety or well being. Now I have no problem whatsoever with people liking, or disliking, certain drivers...but to cheer the fact that they just had a severe accident is completely uncalled for and disgraceful. Not only does it lack etiquette, but it shows no respect for the men laying their lives on the line for our entertainment. I only hope this person, and those like her, do not teach their children or friends that this is the proper way to behave at any race, or any other sporting event for that matter.

This being said, I must make an apology for my behavior in handling the situation. I was sitting about six or seven rows behind this display and voiced my opinion quite loudly...and I must mention that I was supported by several other true race fans that were concerned about what they had just seen. Anyway, after being given a less than appropriate hand gesture, this person and I, along with a few people I was with, had a lengthy exchange of words that itself is not appropriate in a public venue. I can only apologize for myself...after realizing there were still children and other upstanding fans present, I just wanted to say I was sorry if anyone in attendance was offended in any way by my remarks. It should say something, however, when my mother...who is just about as docile and kind-hearted as they come...jumps your case. She doesn't raise her voice unless it is completely called for...and in this case it was. To the person that was applauding Mr. Darland's accident...I can only hope you change your ways because that is in no way appropriate behavior at a race track. People like that I do not consider "fans," but simply instigators who, as my mother put it, need some way to draw attention to themselves.

I also would like to send out my thoughts and wishes to the drivers that were sent to the hospital tonight...a couple of very rough rides...get well soon guys.

Thanks for reading this little rant...and enjoy the racing.

9/19/09, 3:35 AM   #2
Re: An apology and a criticism...
bigmojo5

Jim,
I wasn't there but it sounds like if there should be an apology it is to come from the lady giving the one finger salute.
Jim Morrison

2 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, Jim Halpert
9/19/09, 8:18 AM   #3
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
Having just endured a wild and crazy night at Bloomington, I must make an apology and voice my opinion about a matter that should not have to be brought up. After the Darland accident, and I am a huge fan of Dave, there was a bit of an altercation where another person at the race was cheering and applauding the fact that Dave had just barrel rolled down the back chute several times. This person was being very distasteful and obviously had no regard for Dave's safety or well being. Now I have no problem whatsoever with people liking, or disliking, certain drivers...but to cheer the fact that they just had a severe accident is completely uncalled for and disgraceful. Not only does it lack etiquette, but it shows no respect for the men laying their lives on the line for our entertainment. I only hope this person, and those like her, do not teach their children or friends that this is the proper way to behave at any race, or any other sporting event for that matter.

This being said, I must make an apology for my behavior in handling the situation. I was sitting about six or seven rows behind this display and voiced my opinion quite loudly...and I must mention that I was supported by several other true race fans that were concerned about what they had just seen. Anyway, after being given a less than appropriate hand gesture, this person and I, along with a few people I was with, had a lengthy exchange of words that itself is not appropriate in a public venue. I can only apologize for myself...after realizing there were still children and other upstanding fans present, I just wanted to say I was sorry if anyone in attendance was offended in any way by my remarks. It should say something, however, when my mother...who is just about as docile and kind-hearted as they come...jumps your case. She doesn't raise her voice unless it is completely called for...and in this case it was. To the person that was applauding Mr. Darland's accident...I can only hope you change your ways because that is in no way appropriate behavior at a race track. People like that I do not consider "fans," but simply instigators who, as my mother put it, need some way to draw attention to themselves.

I also would like to send out my thoughts and wishes to the drivers that were sent to the hospital tonight...a couple of very rough rides...get well soon guys.

i seen and heard most of this being about 10 chairs away from me....yeah that was very disrespectful....DRINK ANOTHER 1

9/19/09, 9:03 AM   #4
Panama

We were sitting close enough to hear the person (moron) that you refer to. At first I thought it was a distasteful joke, then we realized this person (moron) wasn't joking, but in fact, was seriously cheering a violent looking accident.

We had no idea who had taken this person (moron) to task for their callous and disrespectful actions, we were just thankful that somebody sitting closer than us, made it clear that this behavior was unacceptable.

I can't speak for others, but for our part, NO apology from you is necessary!

A thank you from us, true race fans, is more in order as I see it!

PS, Thought's prayers go out for ALL the drivers that took hard rides last night, some of those were VERY ugly!
Last edited by Panama; 9/19/09 at 10:10 AM.

3 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, Jim Halpert, SprintManDave
9/19/09, 9:49 AM   #5
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post

Well said Troy!

The sad part of our sport is the people that go to the races simply to see the accidents or crashes; it sounds like you may have
encountered one of them yesterday. Usually they do not know the drivers personally, they have no concern for the drivers life, they have no idea the sacrifices a racer and his family make for him to compete in the sport we all love. They have no idea what it cost a car owner to have his car at the track on a weekly basis. I personally do not consider these thrill seekers race fans and have no respect for them. I have even less respect for someone from another team that acts the way you described this woman did when another driver/competitor is involved in a crash.

Luckily I learned at an early age in my love for auto racing that the only time you clap during a crash is when the driver climbs out of the car under his own power. You are applauding the fact the driver is uninjured not that he crashed.

Patti

1 member likes this post: Jim Halpert
9/19/09, 9:55 AM   #6
racingwwindom

Never wish for ANY driver to have an accident (especially applaud an accident). Never wish for a rainout even if you can't be there. Never say one race event is better than another if you were not at both. Just be nice and enjoy the racing!

2 members like this post: Lauren Besecker, racinstacie
9/19/09, 10:13 AM   #7
illinisprintfan

It's completely classless to cheer and carry on when a car flips. I wonder sometimes if some people realize that is someones dad, husband or brother out there in that car. We were sitting behind Kyle Cummins grandma (at least that is who someone said she was) last night and anyone who cheers when a driver flips should be made to watch her reaction when Kyle went over. Fortunately Kyle was ok, but she was pretty shaken.

9/19/09, 10:32 AM   #8
dalemo

I was at the Knoxville Nationals a few years back, there was a very hard impact into the wall in turn 3, right in front of us 3 guys were cheering and laughing, I tried to explain to them instead of cheering they should say a prayer for the man inside that car, they said a few choice words and went back to cheering. Steve King lost his life in that accident. They were sick, left and never came back the rest of the weekend.

9/19/09, 10:38 AM   #9
LEADERS EDGE

Heres where the sport gets cloudy......Me personally; I agree with what everyone is saying about respecting the driver and family and such. I grew up in an open wheel family so I see the sport from that perspective.

However; it's the lack of the type of fan that takes joy in seeing a crash that keeps the purses small. This is where the stock cars have an advantage on the open wheel cars. In the stock car deal......fans are able to live out their aggression and cheer crashes and damaged equipment because on the surface it looks fairly safe.(No crashes are safe.)

I don't blame you and the others being upset at her, but she probably felt that she paid her $15 and if some fool in one of those cars wants to destroy it; she is going to cheer it. As someone just pointed out to me......look at the Monster Truck Shows. Standing room only.....Pure destruction.

At Springfield one year during a Silver Crown/Midget Double Header; I overheard a drivers wife(Very Good Driver) making fun of one of the midget guys. Talking about how he was going to crash. He did end up crashing and she and her friends were laughing about it. Unfortunately for her; Karma showed up and her husband took a very nasty tumble shortly after. She went from laughing to absolutely being hysterical with fear.

While I wasn't happy the driver crashed(He was shaken pretty good, but unhurt), I was happy to see Karma didn't miss a golden opportunity.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 9/19/09 at 10:55 AM.

9/19/09, 11:15 AM   #10
RBL56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
We were sitting close enough to hear the person (moron) that you refer to. At first I thought it was a distasteful joke, then we realized this person (moron) wasn't joking, but in fact, was seriously cheering a violent looking accident.

We had no idea who had taken this person (moron) to task for their callous and disrespectful actions, we were just thankful that somebody sitting closer than us, made it clear that this behavior was unacceptable.

I can't speak for others, but for our part, NO apology from you is necessary!

A thank you from us, true race fans, is more in order as I see it!

PS, Thought's prayers go out for ALL the drivers that took hard rides last night, some of those were VERY ugly!
Panama,
You should apology to the people that every saw you drive a go-cart or a sprint car.
Rusty

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An apology and a criticism...