IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Electric Midget
3/20/12, 7:08 AM   #1
Electric Midget
Dyno Don

Per Circle Track Magazine, USAC has paired with an Ohio company to build and electric powered Midget. They plan to run it in The Focus and National Midget series.

I can not imagine going to a race and not hearing engine noise.

Is USAC on the right track or have they been derailed?

3/20/12, 7:15 AM   #2
Re: Electric Midget
hoosierhillbilly

I was at the Columbus Ohio New Car SHow last weekend and there was an electric powered midget on display. Unfortunately there were no one around to ask about it. I have a picture on my phone that I will try to post later.

3/20/12, 8:00 AM   #3
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

They ran one at Ocala during the Winter Dirt Games. My opinion.... well, if racing comes to this because of the "Green Police" I will find something else to do. You could hear every rock the thing kicked up on the track and hear the tires squeal in every corner. I agree that, there may be a place in society for battery power but, a race car isn't one of them.
I appreciate the innovation and the design work put into this project but, I will NEVER pay to watch battery buggies race.

I know one faithful USAC follower who passed on several years ago that would roll over in his grave if this were to become the new wave of his beloved USAC racing. Hold on to tradition and keep the batteries on the street.

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
3/20/12, 10:18 AM   #4
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

...come on folks, save the planet, put those curly light bulbs in your race trailers and motor homes, use gasoline made out of algae, put up windmills in the pits to power the tracks...and now put battery chargers at all 4 corners of the race tracks, so that when they run out of juice they can just pull over and recharge. Seems to make perfect sense to me, then all the "greenies" can be the ones at the race tracks, all 10 of em. Just about as smart as people builing a brand new house right next to a RACE TRACK then complaining about the noise (Bloomington Speedway). Would the Indy 500 survived with 33 "whoosh-mobiles" going 500 miles? I prefer the NOVI and noise and real liquid fuel. Save the battery and solar powered cars for the universities to play with, and as soon as they can discover a lightweight battery solution, then we'll talk...bob

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

p.s. i just figured out the solution, and it's so simple. Just put playing cards in the spokes of the midgets for that cool noise. See, problem solved.

4 members like this post: DAD, Johnhunt, mowerman, Pat O'Connor Fan
3/20/12, 10:37 PM   #5
DAD

[QUOTE=HARFprez;274273]...come on folks, save the planet, put those curly light bulbs in your race trailers and motor homes, use gasoline made out of algae, put up windmills in the pits to power the tracks...and now put battery chargers at all 4 corners of the race tracks, so that when they run out of juice they can just pull over and recharge. Seems to make perfect sense to me, then all the "greenies" can be the ones at the race tracks, all 10 of em. Just about as smart as people builing a brand new house right next to a RACE TRACK then complaining about the noise (Bloomington Speedway). Would the Indy 500 survived with 33 "whoosh-mobiles" going 500 miles? I prefer the NOVI and noise and real liquid fuel. Save the battery and solar powered cars for the universities to play with, and as soon as they can discover a lightweight battery solution, then we'll talk...bob

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

We raced electric cars 50 years ago. They called them slot cars and I can still remember taking those motors apart and cutting all of the wire off of the armatuer and rewinding them with different wire and then putting epoxy on them to try to hold them together. Those things were soo fast they were hard to keep up with. I can also remember watching my best motors go up in flames at the end of the straighs.

Then 20 years later my son got into r/c cars . They were also plenty fast and also plenty expensive. Watch out they will come to a race track near you.

Honest Dad himself

p.s. i just figured out the solution, and it's so simple. Just put playing cards in the spokes of the midgets for that cool noise. See, problem solved.[/QUOTE

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
3/20/12, 10:53 PM   #6
REALDEAL

maybe we can start a competitive golf and fishing league......

1 member likes this post: flatout18
3/21/12, 12:42 AM   #7
sday27

Does anyone know how much it would cost for a motor ? they ( usac ) always has't to find a to kill midget racing.

3/21/12, 8:10 AM   #8
Seadog

I recall a formula electric car demo race at IRP several years ago. I remember each car was fielded by a team from different colleges. It was different to say the least when it came to sound.

On a similar topic, anybody remember somebody that had a turbine powered sprint car years ago? I am pretty foggy on the details.

3/21/12, 10:42 AM   #9
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I recall a formula electric car demo race at IRP several years ago. I remember each car was fielded by a team from different colleges. It was different to say the least when it came to sound.

On a similar topic, anybody remember somebody that had a turbine powered sprint car years ago? I am pretty foggy on the details.
Steve Bolan drove a turbine sprint at the Little 500 and Copper World Classic.
Last edited by Vukie; 3/21/12 at 10:43 AM.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
3/21/12, 12:38 PM   #10
TQ29m

Those turbine engines are getting pretty cheap, several on ebay, turnkey, for under 4k, but they don't make much noise, and getting them to move is a big hang up, you'd have to figure out how to keep em movin, or you'd be laps down real quick! Bob!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Electric Midget