IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
nuclear
  #11 10/5/07 2:54 PM
The Tobias win at DuQuoin was a victory on many levels. I used to help on that team for a couple years. A few weeks before his triumph at the Ted Horn, Rich was in a serious flip at Springfield. The chassis (his only one) was destroyed. That happened to be the year of the Mopar Million Sprint race at Eldora, and Rich had built a sprint car just for that race. With Duquoin only a few weeks away, he was forced to convert his new (home-made) sprint chassis into a Silver Crown chassis. Upon arrival at Duquoin, his practice was cut short by a part failure (steering gear, I think). Then he missed qualifications due to a transmission failure, and the team scrambled to replace it. They BARELY made the call to start the B-main. Some people say that USAC gave the B-main field a few extra warm-up laps, just so Rich could get out on the track in time for the start. He passes enough cars to make the show. Now keep in mind that he was driving a brand new (and home-made) chassis, without quals or practice, that was thrashed together. The he goes out there and tattoos the field from the rear. Wow. Truly an inspirational drive indeed. Unfortunately, I was not there to witness his very first USAC Silver Crown win. Hearing the story described to me the day after reminded me of his insane night at Indy, a few years earlier. Hoosier 100: He passes the ENTIRE field from the tail spot, and drives away with it... Only to have the power steering fail on him. DNF. This guy can shoe a race car.
Midget82
  #12 10/6/07 5:13 AM
a little off topic... but knowing his silver crown slinghot was a pretty wild, homemade, design... can anyone imagine what a slingshot "New-Age Silver Crown" would look like?:kookoo2:

or did the creators of the new "cars" copy the slingshot? hehe:emote20:
Racinartist_2
  #13 10/7/07 9:24 AM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
Speedchannel has carried that race in the past. Wonder if they, or anyone, will?
SPEED's schedule on their website has tape-delayed coverage listed for Saturday Oct. 28th at 5PM.
delaware
  #14 10/7/07 6:27 PM
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA:
They can't even get a full field in Pa
They started 30 at linda's speedway in pa. last week feature.
Racinartist_2
  #15 10/7/07 8:11 PM
Just incase anyone cares, Richie finished 3rd in the modified race today. Not too shabby for a 'part-timer' against the best DIRT has to offer in the BB mods.
Dwight Clock (Offline)
  #16 10/7/07 8:38 PM
Originally Posted by Racinartist_2:
Just incase anyone cares, Richie finished 3rd in the modified race today. Not too shabby for a 'part-timer' against the best DIRT has to offer in the BB mods.
Good for Rich! I was also happy to see that Vic Coffey won the thing.:thumb: