IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Creating a Schedule
1/30/24, 10:40 AM   #11
Re: Creating a Schedule
Dale

I'm just organistic that Terre Haute has 3 dates.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, oppweld
1/30/24, 11:39 AM   #12
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Angel View Post
Are you sure Paragon has elected to not host USAC sprints?
This is just my opinion. I feel like Paragon sent USAC, and the tracks that hold USAC events a strong message last year, that they are not wanting to work with them. The big one is when they scheduled a 2 day BOSS/FAST show against Bloomington SprintWeek. They followed that up with booking a 14 car extreme race. I think that was their way of saying we don't need USAC. Actions speak louder than words. My guess is, that their loyalty towards World Racing group will reward them with a World of Outlaw race.

1/30/24, 4:44 PM   #13
openwheelfan1

As a sanctioning organization USAC goes where the promoters want them. In those instances where USAC promotes a show, they are going to go where they have the opportunity to make the most money.

One of the big issues about USAC shows in Indiana is saturation. Except for Sprint Week and Midget Week, midweek shows are typically break even at best. Per the original poster, there are 25 USAC Sprint shows in Indiana. Take out the Sprint Week shows and there are still 17 USAC Sprint shows in IN. That is on average 2+/month in IN from April 1 to Oct. 31. My personal opinion is any more races than that and people will just look at a USAC race like a weekly show.

When USAC dropped California from the National schedule, some people complained that USAC was to Indiana centric. Non winged racing is not to the point (not yet at least) where they have 15-18 teams traveling the circuit for long distances like WoO and HL. USAC needs local cars to fill out the entries and have at least a 3 heat show. So, to that end, they schedule tracks where they can get participation. PA and the East Coast has shown interest in non wing sprints, as has SW OK and NE Texas. Trying to grow those markets makes sense. They are making the attempt to expand the sport, and gain fans OUTSIDE of IN. To me, their sprint schedule makes sense.

5 members like this post: captrat, erich45, Grocery Guy, oppweld, TNRustler
1/30/24, 7:15 PM   #14
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
As a sanctioning organization USAC goes where the promoters want them. In those instances where USAC promotes a show, they are going to go where they have the opportunity to make the most money.

One of the big issues about USAC shows in Indiana is saturation. Except for Sprint Week and Midget Week, midweek shows are typically break even at best. Per the original poster, there are 25 USAC Sprint shows in Indiana. Take out the Sprint Week shows and there are still 17 USAC Sprint shows in IN. That is on average 2+/month in IN from April 1 to Oct. 31. My personal opinion is any more races than that and people will just look at a USAC race like a weekly show.

When USAC dropped California from the National schedule, some people complained that USAC was to Indiana centric. Non winged racing is not to the point (not yet at least) where they have 15-18 teams traveling the circuit for long distances like WoO and HL. USAC needs local cars to fill out the entries and have at least a 3 heat show. So, to that end, they schedule tracks where they can get participation. PA and the East Coast has shown interest in non wing sprints, as has SW OK and NE Texas. Trying to grow those markets makes sense. They are making the attempt to expand the sport, and gain fans OUTSIDE of IN. To me, their sprint schedule makes sense.
I agree, there are large areas that USAC cant run because of lack of local drivers to fill out the field. The USAC east coast series has been a huge success in drawing drivers to non-wing racing in that area, filling fields and now inspiring some to race the whole series. Hopefully that approach can be taken in other areas. As far as California/Arizona goes interest seems to be waning in non wing sprints out there and unless they can put together a schedule like the midgets have out there I cant see to many drivers wanting to lose money hauling all the way out there. That leaves you with all these races in Indiana if you run that many they might not seem so special if you dont then there arent enough races to justify the $ to put together a top flight team. In that scenario the drivers either have to run local shows when USAC is not running or be lured by higher purses if they put a wing on. No easy solutions.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: Grocery Guy
1/30/24, 7:17 PM   #15
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
This is just my opinion. I feel like Paragon sent USAC, and the tracks that hold USAC events a strong message last year, that they are not wanting to work with them. The big one is when they scheduled a 2 day BOSS/FAST show against Bloomington SprintWeek. They followed that up with booking a 14 car extreme race. I think that was their way of saying we don't need USAC. Actions speak louder than words. My guess is, that their loyalty towards World Racing group will reward them with a World of Outlaw race.
Not sure you could pack enough people in there to make it financially viable for the promoter.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Grocery Guy
1/31/24, 10:58 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

WoO at Paragon?

Well, I guess there could be a cold day in hell but it probably still be 5000*

I don't say this because it's not possible. But when a promotor several years back stated he was only holding WoO because it was Kinsers last year. It just tells me that small markets can't make it viable.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/31/24 at 11:01 AM.

1/31/24, 12:07 PM   #17
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Not sure you could pack enough people in there to make it financially viable for the promoter.
I agree. I was being sarcastic. To me it shows that it was a snub at USAC and Spiker.

2 members like this post: oppweld, PAW
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Creating a Schedule