IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - Another Death @ NHRA Englishtown, NJ
6/15/10, 10:46 AM   #1
OT - Another Death @ NHRA Englishtown, NJ
Seadog

Second death (Scott Kalitta) in three years. What's going on there?

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/node.php?id=4164

6/15/10, 10:55 AM   #2
Re: OT - Another Death @ NHRA Englishtown, NJ
TQ29m

That's the one part of Windtunnel I happened to watch Sunday nite, bad deal, and sad, but sorry to say, that is the chance you take, when you strap in, anything. Bob

6/15/10, 11:20 AM   #3
bobO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Second death (Scott Kalitta) in three years. What's going on there?

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/node.php?id=4164
who-when-why...god -call,s we will never understand.... thank you for all you did mr parker godspeed my friend thoughts and prayers to the parker clan...

6/15/10, 11:30 AM   #4
BuckeyeBullet

Why don't they run a shut off chord similar to mud racing? Cut power at 1/4 mile (the length the track should be), and find a means to release the chutes when the vehicle is shutdown. Or how about a trip wire similar in idea to what they use on aircraft carrier decks? Or start running high powered magnets on the bottoms of the cars and in the the surface of the shutdown lanes, use them to repel one another as seen on numerous modern roller coasters and some high speed rail applications.

These are merely initial thoughts and not to be taken as fully conceived plans. Many hours of r&d and engineering time need to be spent to solve this problem.

6/15/10, 12:02 PM   #5
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBullet View Post
Why don't they run a shut off chord similar to mud racing? Cut power at 1/4 mile (the length the track should be), and find a means to release the chutes when the vehicle is shutdown. Or how about a trip wire similar in idea to what they use on aircraft carrier decks? Or start running high powered magnets on the bottoms of the cars and in the the surface of the shutdown lanes, use them to repel one another as seen on numerous modern roller coasters and some high speed rail applications.

These are merely initial thoughts and not to be taken as fully conceived plans. Many hours of r&d and engineering time need to be spent to solve this problem.
I think the article said that they have the auto shut off at the NHRA Pro levels but not the amateur levels. I'd say it's high time they make it a requirement for all levels, or they will never be able to afford insurance. Most importantly, we want to keep all competitors alive and well.

6/15/10, 12:34 PM   #6
interpreter66

i think they said on w.t that it has the shortest run off area, and no room to expand it either.
very sad

6/16/10, 7:35 AM   #7
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I think the article said that they have the auto shut off at the NHRA Pro levels but not the amateur levels.
I hate to get us off topic, and I do get your basic point, but I'm not sure I'd refer to the Top Alcohol classes as "amateur." I don't think an "amateur" could get a car down the track at 250 mph.

6/16/10, 11:11 PM   #8
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Racing has always been filled with danger! Its not ever going to 100% safe! Or all of you would be doing it and no one would watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6/16/10, 11:54 PM   #9
jontheturboguy

Im saddened to hear this. Prayers to the family and loved ones.

As stated earlier, every time we strap into a car, we assume the risk.

Also take note, Englishtown has been - always will be - and is a giant ***** hole.

The only way to make that track safer is to bulldoze the place, and build it from the ground up. Make the run off an extra mile long....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT - Another Death @ NHRA Englishtown, NJ