IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown - who's driving what?
3/20/13, 1:08 AM   #41
Re: Silver crown - who's driving what?
K-Dawg30

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthegas7j View Post
I am disgusted and saddened by the state of the Silver Crown Series. I love them, truly love them, and to see the series the way it is makes me want to cry. I will be at 4 races this year and possibly a 5th if I can find money/time off. I am 23 years old and my first race was Duquoin for the Horn, my dream, what I chase everyday is to climb in a Silver Crown car at Duquoin or Springfield, or any of the miles and race 100 laps 100 miles... I feel like there are ways to fix it and make the series viable again, if we have the patience and listen to the owners and what would make them happy/ come back....
You sound just like me! Im 23 and my first race was also the Ted Horn around 10 years ago. I havent missed one since. I have since got to see the Crown cars at Terre Haute, Eldora, Springfield, and Indy. Nothing beats standing inside of turn 3 as close as you can get to the guardrail and seeing those cars enter the corner at full speed!

Since then I have started racing myself and moved from karts to a micro sprint. I have always dreamed of running a crown car at Du Quoin and I realized it is possible when I seen my buddy Shane Cockrum get the opportunity to a couple years back. When I graduate college next year I'm getting a midget to help me get licensed to run the Silver Crown series. Then eventually, hopefully get a crown car.

I have a great appreciation for the history of this series. Everyone needs to support the series so it doesnt go away. I hope I get the chance to fullfill my dream someday!

3/20/13, 8:54 AM   #42
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
There is the misconception among the silver crown hard core fans that there is consipracy to keep the silver crown cars down. If the demand for these races were higher more fans would attend the races. If the fans attended the races, more promoters would book the shows. If more promoters had shows, more owners would get involved.

Once again, I ask the question about which show you would rather attend: USAC sprints, WOO Sprints, USAC midgets, USTMS modifieds, Lucas Oil late models, USAC Silver Crown, or a local show. For the vast majority of people a silver crown race is going to be on the very bottom of this list. It simply a case of supply and demand, and the demand for silver crown races is low.
Ok, since you asked, USAC sprints, USAC Silver Crown, local sprint show, USAC midgets.....

3/20/13, 9:19 AM   #43
boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyBoysRacing View Post
Anyone heard who is gonna be driving what as far as the silver crown series goes? Here's my list by the numbers for dirt cars:

3-Aj Fike
10-Levi Jones
14-Shane Cottle
16-Tracy Hines
17-Bryan Clauson
20-Shane Hollingsworth
22-Bobby East
25-Miranda Throckmorton
27-Jerry Coons Jr.
39-Rich Tobias
50-Zach Daum
51-Russ Gamester
55-Randy Bateman
56-Dave Darland
63-Robert Ballou
76-Kellen Conover
77-Chris Urish
114-Shane Cockrum

If anyone has any corrections please add

Posted via Mobile Device
Bill Rose in the LESKO 98 at Terre Haute is the plan.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
3/20/13, 12:06 PM   #44
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg30 View Post
You sound just like me! Im 23 and my first race was also the Ted Horn around 10 years ago. I havent missed one since. I have since got to see the Crown cars at Terre Haute, Eldora, Springfield, and Indy. Nothing beats standing inside of turn 3 as close as you can get to the guardrail and seeing those cars enter the corner at full speed!

Since then I have started racing myself and moved from karts to a micro sprint. I have always dreamed of running a crown car at Du Quoin and I realized it is possible when I seen my buddy Shane Cockrum get the opportunity to a couple years back. When I graduate college next year I'm getting a midget to help me get licensed to run the Silver Crown series. Then eventually, hopefully get a crown car.

I have a great appreciation for the history of this series. Everyone needs to support the series so it doesnt go away. I hope I get the chance to fullfill my dream someday!
my first was in 1990 I was 16 months old... Only ones I've missed I was at Boot Camp, and Deployed... I remember the times when theyd have damn near 50 cars there with guys like Kenny Irwin, Jimmy Sills, and Gary B, I have a great love affair with the miles...

3/20/13, 1:28 PM   #45
dave

My first mile was the hoosier hundred 1953. Sweikert, Ayulo, Freeland, and Parsons (Sr) if memory serves me correctly. All under a blanket as they say for a lot of the hundred miles.

2 members like this post: Brettski98, red22
3/20/13, 1:35 PM   #46
indybigjohn

Good story in this month's Speed Sport magazine, quoting the SC director on what they want to do. Hope it works out. I remember in my 15 years at IRP that in the SC races, there were always races going on all over the track.

3/20/13, 1:53 PM   #47
Dgentry51

Theres gonna be another Gentry amongst the Crowners again

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: groove grabber, ronmil
3/20/13, 2:56 PM   #48
dirt330

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybigjohn View Post
Good story in this month's Speed Sport magazine, quoting the SC director on what they want to do. Hope it works out. I remember in my 15 years at IRP that in the SC races, there were always races going on all over the track.
What do they want to do?

3/20/13, 3:21 PM   #49
SpfldMile

My fire station is inside the Illinois State Fairgrounds. I'm looking at the grandstand as I write this. When I see it my brain goes through hundreds of memories. The most favorable ones are spending time with my dad watching the purest form of American motorsports there is. I love the Silver Crown, and I hope it can return to it's former glory.

Posted via Mobile Device

3/20/13, 3:27 PM   #50
BR20d

Byrne Racing has built another pavement Silver Crown car. #40 Driver, David Byrne
If you recall, David destroyed the #40 car last year at IRP in the USAC Hall of Fame Race. Throttle stuck and he hit the turn 3 wall.
See you at the Track!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown - who's driving what?