IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
jjones752 (Offline)
  #1 5/19/14 1:59 PM
Are any Midgeteers planning on running Gas City this Friday? With Montpelier now dark for us until late July I'm considering making the effort to tow up there after work but it looks like things are a little unsettled; originally the 23rd was supposed to be a $1500 to win "Lew Morgan Memorial" but that designation has been shifted to additional $1000 to win shows for Sprints & Mods on Sept. 7th. Earlier today there was a revised payout structure for Midgets with a 0-12 car count paying only $250 to win. Now it's been updated again to $350.00 to win. Seems like a lot of scrambling after only one Midget show in the books. I'd like to give Gas City a shot, bit I'm curious what everyone else is thinking.

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
martz32 (Offline)
  #2 5/19/14 3:01 PM
We plan to be there with the Duane and Sonja Alexander/Gregg Steele Racing Beast/Esslinger #2
3 Likes: cwfan08, jjones752, PIT CART
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #3 5/19/14 3:18 PM
WTH? Four Purses? Possible?

If I was a car owner, I would say the lowest purse would be the most likely purse and to win doesn't even pay to tow the car there and that 350 being split 50/50 or 60/40. it would stay in the garage.

I hate to be negative, But do promoters realize this instead of guaranteeing a purse somewhere in between, They might just be running cars off by incremental purses.

To get a following, It would seem to me, There'd have to be a reason to go in the first place.

I can also see, not being able to afford to loose your tail. But it just seems that one low turnout and bam, purse cut by 2/3rds?

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, Kellen Conover
jjones752 (Offline)
  #4 5/19/14 4:26 PM
Hopefully it won't be just me and Tate, but I've decided to make the effort. Shoot, I can't wait 'till July 26th for another fix; I'm already Jonesin'.
Then again, I'm ALWAYS Jonesin'...

Jim Jones
thebus79h (Offline)
  #5 5/19/14 4:34 PM
I saw on Facebook Don Moore is keeping his midget at home because of the lowered purse.
jjones752 (Offline)
  #6 5/19/14 4:51 PM
I saw that too and it's one of the reasons I started this thread, just to see what others are thinking/doing. He has a valid argument for not showing up, but being on the other end of the Midget Economics Spectrum I can't operate using the same logic. For me, it makes much more sense to go, because if no one shows up that's a sure way to kill the series before it even gets started. I think it's premature to restructure the purse after only one show and my focus is still going to be on Montpelier but I want to take at least one shot at supporting the only other regular Midget show around while I can. If enough teams take the same approach the purse will take care of itself. Anyone who saw me run at Montpelier knows I don't have a prayer of taking home much of Mel's money but I can add to the car count and maybe there'll be more for all of us to split up.

Jim Jones
4 Likes: cwfan08, mc/rider, PJ Wright, Wayne Davis
martz32 (Offline)
  #7 5/19/14 4:59 PM
The payout for 13-20 cars looks similar to Montpeilier's payout. Hopefully there are 20 or more. I just hope people support Gas City's efforts to run midgets. I think it is pretty damn cool that we have a place willing to run a weekly midget show.

Tate Martz
13 Likes: BrentTFunk, cwfan08, dirtnonwingfan, EBookerFan, fish, fishnman, jjones752, mowerman, PIT CART, robert gatten, Shawn, speed bump, Wayne Davis
cwfan08 (Offline)
  #8 5/19/14 5:29 PM
I really hope people support this.. There were only 8 opening night I think that is the reason for the different purses..at least he isn't shy and puts each one out there.. Running midgets weekly is tough to do..hopefully the support jumps week to week BC I really like midget racing.. Mel's sticking his neck out there just like Harold hunter did at montpelier a couple years ago..

Tyler
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, PIT CART
Jim Gardner (Offline)
  #9 5/19/14 8:43 PM
Going to thrash and try to make it. Depends on a bunch of factors right now. Assuming that they are allowing the mini sprints.

Jim Gardner
procket (Offline)
  #10 5/19/14 9:19 PM
we were planning on coming to gas city fri plus a couple other guys till we seen the payout cut. cant afford to pull that far for that kind of payout.Rick Cottle