IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New to methanol powered motorcycle engine!
4/17/14, 11:45 AM   #11
Re: New to methanol powered motorcycle engine!
leftturn31

Thanks. got the new alum banjo last nite and machined a solid lugnut to act as a cap over stud to crush washer. $2.00 vs $20 from Porsche need a few fittings coming Fri. then should be ready to fire it up. Was told being the injectors are twice the flow I should start with a zero map and tune with AFR from there. Think that will work?

4/17/14, 5:34 PM   #12
DAD

Cory

I would probably start at about 60 psi fuel pres. raise pres to richen it all the way across, drop pres to lean it out all the way across. Methanol usually requires a little more than double size to work, but you can catch up with pres. Most injectors are rated at 45 psi so an extra 15psi more will richen it about 20% or so. Click on link http://www.injector.com/injector_selection_guide.php

When you get close then map it, A little lean at idle will keep it from fouling plugs and build heat, right off idle it needs to be fattened up quite a bit then you look for accelerator function in your box and set it pretty rich.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/17/14 at 5:45 PM.

4/18/14, 10:02 AM   #13
leftturn31

Thanks again. With all your knowledge you said 4.5-5 ratio. Should I start with the 4.5 and work down to 5 after some runs watching temps. to make sure they stay the same or slightly rise during run or do you have a better way to do if for a novice. Also can I use 6:1 on all the low TPS % and low RPM cells?

4/18/14, 10:16 AM   #14
DAD

Cory

Just remember at 6 under a load you are heading for problems, Unlike gasoline Methanol works real well rich and won't hurt power a great deal. At 10%-20% rich on gas power will go down very rapidly and you start blubbering at those numbers, Methanol will not fall off a great deal and aids in cooling. You can lean gas down until the plugs turn white and it will run ok and probably not hurt the motor. You can do that with Methanol also but all of a sudden you melt a piston if you are lucky.

Egt can fool you it can go up when rich and also when lean, watch your plugs.

Just stay away from LEAN. and you will be fine. Don't expect any HP jumps because it won't help there,

Now if we add a little oxidizer that turns it into a whole new ballgame.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/18/14 at 10:18 AM.

4/18/14, 10:25 AM   #15
leftturn31

So my best bet is to just tune everything to 4.5. Then idle at 5.5-6 to build some heat before the run? What does a normal methanol plug color look like? I'm using the NGK double ground strap plugs recommended by Ryan Greth. They will be new and uncolored because I was running the NGK Iridium plugs and he said those could cause a high speed miss.

4/18/14, 10:38 AM   #16
DAD

Cory

Your plugs are OK. Kill it at the end of the run, and coast to a stop. When it cools a little, pull the plugs and electrode porcelain should be light tan to chocolate in color, Get a magnifier and look for specs of aluminum on porcelain also. (that is a bad sign). You should also look into a little more ignition timing about 2-4 degrees should work fine. You can also invest in compression, alky don't start making power until around 15 to 1 comp ratio or so.

Honest Dad himself

4/18/14, 10:46 AM   #17
leftturn31

I was going to ask about the timing because the fuel box I'm using does have timing control built in. So should I add 3 deg. on the whole map or if I'm just using 8-14k just do it there? On the compression side the plan is to freshen the motor next winter and install the thinner gasket should bump to 12.5 or so. So you think I should stay with the Iridium plugs?

4/18/14, 1:05 PM   #18
DAD

Cory

Iridium is fine. We usually cut the timing back again at about 12000-12500 and go just a tad lean up at about the same rpm's. She starts running out of air up there and can't use all that stuff.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New to methanol powered motorcycle engine!