IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled
7/21/11, 6:37 PM   #71
Re: Gas City Races Cancelled
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
So they can race when it's 90 but not 94
Guess we will find out.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

7/21/11, 8:22 PM   #72
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Jackson View Post
I have never heard of such a thing. I say run em and the weak can stay at home. Nobody is making you come to the races. It is a choice we all have. Not now!!
All very easy for you to say.

History tells us that people-society, a culture, a nation, whatever group you wish to make it-are as tough as they need to be. Racers were tougher in the days of no roll cages, primitive (by our standards) emergency medical care and no regard to the heat because they felt that they had to be. It's how it was. These young men that we watch these days are as tough as they need to be in their own way. To compare different eras is fun but a futile exercise in the end. If we must do so, let us try and compare the desire and other intangibles that all racers share, from Barney Oldfield (who counted a very young Marv Fish as a fan) to Chris Windom.

Now history also tells us that over they years people have come up with inventions that have made our lives easier: the 3 big changes in American 20th century life were TVs, cars and.....air conditioning, 3 items I'd be willing to bet that you enjoy (with computers coming on strong at the end of the century just past) most every day.

Your comment about the so-called "weak" is an insult to older fans and by that I mean even older than me. They, even more than I, grew up in much more primitive conditions than most IOW members can imagine. If anything, people like Marv Fish, Frank Daigh and many others deserve the perks of today that they enjoy. Unlike many of us, they've earned it and to rail about the weak who can simply stay home is a cheap shot. I'm not making fun of these guys who are older; they've earned my respect and I feel that at that stage of their lives they should be given their due, seeing that they've paid their dues.

Mike and Jiggs did the correct and right thing. It's so easy to sit in air conditioned comfort and criticize such a decision. You say we all have a choice. I'd guess that includes Mike and Jiggs. They made theirs.

Disappointed? Damned right I am. But we have this need to blame someone or something when things don't go our way rather than simply shrug the shoulders and say, that's the way things go sometimes.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

7/21/11, 8:28 PM   #73
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
All very easy for you to say.

History tells us that people-society, a culture, a nation, whatever group you wish to make it-are as tough as they need to be. Racers were tougher in the days of no roll cages, primitive (by our standards) emergency medical care and no regard to the heat because they felt that they had to be. It's how it was. These young men that we watch these days are as tough as they need to be in their own way. To compare different eras is fun but a futile exercise in the end. If we must do so, let us try and compare the desire and other intangibles that all racers share, from Barney Oldfield (who counted a very young Marv Fish as a fan) to Chris Windom.

Now history also tells us that over they years people have come up with inventions that have made our lives easier: the 3 big changes in American 20th century life were TVs, cars and.....air conditioning, 3 items I'd be willing to bet that you enjoy (with computers coming on strong at the end of the century just past) most every day.

Your comment about the so-called "weak" is an insult to older fans and by that I mean even older than me. They, even more than I, grew up in much more primitive conditions than most IOW members can imagine. If anything, people like Marv Fish, Frank Daigh and many others deserve the perks of today that they enjoy. Unlike many of us, they've earned it and to rail about the weak who can simply stay home is a cheap shot. I'm not making fun of these guys who are older; they've earned my respect and I feel that at that stage of their lives they should be given their due, seeing that they've paid their dues.

Mike and Jiggs did the correct and right thing. It's so easy to sit in air conditioned comfort and criticize such a decision. You say we all have a choice. I'd guess that includes Mike and Jiggs. They made theirs.

Disappointed? Damned right I am. But we have this need to blame someone or something when things don't go our way rather than simply shrug the shoulders and say, that's the way things go sometimes.
As always very well said.

Jerry #66j
stida.com

7/21/11, 9:00 PM   #74
Lawrenceburger

Well, I still have yet to attend a race this year due to various reasons, work, rainouts, no money, etc. This was going to be my first trip of the season to the Burg on saturday, but I think I am going to pass. A bit too hot for me. I dare say that I am not the only one who will stay home. On the flip side, I know there will be some folks that tough it out and head to the track. For me its not a matter of being tough or not, its about enjoying the night and in this heat, I know I would not.

Everyone has a safe and fun weekend, whether at home or a track.

7/21/11, 9:38 PM   #75
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrenceburger View Post
Well, I still have yet to attend a race this year due to various reasons, work, rainouts, no money, etc. This was going to be my first trip of the season to the Burg on saturday, but I think I am going to pass. A bit too hot for me. I dare say that I am not the only one who will stay home. On the flip side, I know there will be some folks that tough it out and head to the track. For me its not a matter of being tough or not, its about enjoying the night and in this heat, I know I would not.

Everyone has a safe and fun weekend, whether at home or a track.
Pack a coler with water on ice, we will have the water mister going under the stands, and there is some covered grandstands, not to mention hot laps start a hour later than the normal time at 7pm, that means heat races at 8pm. There is always a cool breeze blowing up top. and to top it off its Christmas In July race!! The presents are all wrapped and the tree is decorated! (btw, thanks Kim for all the decorations) We will also have a new ice cream stand located at the souveir stand. Just like when its cold, you prepare for it and make the best of it. We will be racing and enjoying ourselves and hope you can too....see ya Saturday night!!

7/21/11, 10:04 PM   #76
Lawrenceburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rudisell View Post
Pack a coler with water on ice, we will have the water mister going under the stands, and there is some covered grandstands, not to mention hot laps start a hour later than the normal time at 7pm, that means heat races at 8pm. There is always a cool breeze blowing up top. and to top it off its Christmas In July race!! The presents are all wrapped and the tree is decorated! (btw, thanks Kim for all the decorations) We will also have a new ice cream stand located at the souveir stand. Just like when its cold, you prepare for it and make the best of it. We will be racing and enjoying ourselves and hope you can too....see ya Saturday night!!
Dang Dave, you are making this tough! I am so weak, I will probably end up there after all! lol

7/21/11, 11:00 PM   #77
Flatrightrear

There are enough sour grapes on this thread to start a whinery.

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
7/21/11, 11:04 PM   #78
duel

look at the passion for these tracks. this is a great thing. i would be disappointed if i could go every week to one of these places and they called it. i guess it's like a rain out but heat. 50/50 call.

7/22/11, 12:10 PM   #79
i love dirt track racing

going to the burg and plan on having a cook out and all the great times we have when we go to any race

7/22/11, 4:01 PM   #80
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Might be just as well, Theres a line of heavy storms rumbling through GC right now 4pm friday. Sure it would be cooler following but don't know they could get it in with a couple inches in a short time.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled