IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > High Limit, Who’s In!
8/3/23, 9:13 AM   #41
Re: High Limit, Who’s In!
BrentTFunk

As I posted earlier, I thought the feature was good, and I thought the whole program was ran very well. It was a quality field of cars. I also can say without Kyle Larson racing, the crowd would have been drastically smaller. The people who complain about him taking the money better realize, that he is the main reason that money is available. All the advertising mentioned his name. He was very accessible to fans. I watched him sign and pose for pictures for a long time in the parking lot. He also made himself available in the pits.
Also good for Doug Boles for what he did. I was told he had been in South Bend for business. Drove to Kokomo, but had to be at another meeting at the speedway. He arranged for a helicopter to take him to his meeting and bring him back. I don't care who you are, that is a long day. He is truly passionate about dirt open wheel racing, and that is good for the sport.

8/3/23, 10:16 AM   #42
dsc1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
All these guys saying I wish Larson would stay home so we could make some $$ should consider the T shirt sales are probably thrice a normal WoO show. I also doubt they have to be a Gold member just to have a T shirt .
Three times the tshirt sales for who?

8/3/23, 10:29 AM   #43
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Three times the tshirt sales for who?
Everybody. The event probably wouldn't happen to begin with.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
8/3/23, 11:19 AM   #44
opnwhlmnd

It always amazes me the lengths the regional non-wing crowd will go to refuse to admit they saw a good wing show in person or on FLO. Have to keep that anti-wing agenda moving forward.

I love non-wing racing and it's my favorite but to refuse to open ones eyes and see that wing cars have made some rule changes to put on better shows and racing is just insensate.

8/3/23, 11:36 AM   #45
berks co

I heard a rumor that Larson and Stewart were talking about combining the 2 series together
Anyway this happens?

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
8/3/23, 12:02 PM   #46
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
It always amazes me the lengths the regional non-wing crowd will go to refuse to admit they saw a good wing show in person or on FLO. Have to keep that anti-wing agenda moving forward.

I love non-wing racing and it's my favorite but to refuse to open ones eyes and see that wing cars have made some rule changes to put on better shows and racing is just insensate.
I grew up watching nothing but wing racing 35 years ago, transitioned to non-wing when the Indiana scene changed, and now love to watch both. Certain things about each type of cars that you don't get with the other. Open your horizons if you can. Really wish Indiana had more wing shows like High Limits.

4 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Hustlin-Hoosier, OnTheHammer, PIT CART
8/3/23, 12:34 PM   #47
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:

It always amazes me the number of people who try to convince me to go to things I don't care too.

I actually fell out of Winged racing love. Not the other way around. By the second or third year of my being able to travel. Several Indy tracks had gone Wing mostly and that included Indiana names like Randy and Kelly Kinser, The blands, Huntley, Briscoe, Gordon, Shields, Amati and a few others, not to mention the Ohio Contingent, Jacobs Dean and Kenny, Haud, Reed, R Duncan, Kane, Hewitt and many more. I traveled all over Ohio and Indiana to watch em.
Hoosier Fall Classics were epic don't miss events. Brought in many stars from across the country and yet our locals could compete in many cases and win.

Mid 90s happen and half of those are running few and far between, Drivers retiring. All Stars spin off into regional s with A couple stars in each. By 2010 there wasn't a semi local winged racing star running Wings.

So in essence the sport left me as the closest star in it isn't within a hundred miles. or regular participant in it.

I've always felt a good long green feature in wings is just as good as any. But the heats if the track isn't wide and two groove often have nothing to offer but another hot lap session.

I don't have a Michael Fischesser or Moffatt Garrett or Gaines, Tmez to go watch at the Kings royal anymore. Doesn't mean it's not still a great event, I means I have no connection to it.

Indiana tracks also have few running Wings and racing at home. I've been told by many that if they could turn a $$ profit from it they'd have winged shows. But the belief I have is they dont' because they can't. Kinda like the LM's have become, Three or four series going and a few tracks trying to get two heats worth of cars unless there's 20 to win or more on the line.

I thought the feature at Kokomo was great, Larson could kinda be considered local and even though Peck left to pursue Wings, WHo could ask for more than that battle.

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
8/3/23, 1:21 PM   #48
captrat

Quote:

For me it's the big picture of the racing. Good feature, but the format makes heats boring and basically an additional practice session for the front runners.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, erich45, Stephen Cording, tirespinner
8/3/23, 1:24 PM   #49
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by berks co View Post
I heard a rumor that Larson and Stewart were talking about combining the 2 series together
Anyway this happens?
Probably some truth to it. I've heard Stewart would like to sell the All Stars.

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
8/3/23, 7:03 PM   #50
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
It always amazes me the number of people who try to convince me to go to things I don't care too.

I actually fell out of Winged racing love. Not the other way around. By the second or third year of my being able to travel. Several Indy tracks had gone Wing mostly and that included Indiana names like Randy and Kelly Kinser, The blands, Huntley, Briscoe, Gordon, Shields, Amati and a few others, not to mention the Ohio Contingent, Jacobs Dean and Kenny, Haud, Reed, R Duncan, Kane, Hewitt and many more. I traveled all over Ohio and Indiana to watch em.
Hoosier Fall Classics were epic don't miss events. Brought in many stars from across the country and yet our locals could compete in many cases and win.

Mid 90s happen and half of those are running few and far between, Drivers retiring. All Stars spin off into regional s with A couple stars in each. By 2010 there wasn't a semi local winged racing star running Wings.

So in essence the sport left me as the closest star in it isn't within a hundred miles. or regular participant in it.

I've always felt a good long green feature in wings is just as good as any. But the heats if the track isn't wide and two groove often have nothing to offer but another hot lap session.

I don't have a Michael Fischesser or Moffatt Garrett or Gaines, Tmez to go watch at the Kings royal anymore. Doesn't mean it's not still a great event, I means I have no connection to it.

Indiana tracks also have few running Wings and racing at home. I've been told by many that if they could turn a $$ profit from it they'd have winged shows. But the belief I have is they dont' because they can't. Kinda like the LM's have become, Three or four series going and a few tracks trying to get two heats worth of cars unless there's 20 to win or more on the line.

I thought the feature at Kokomo was great, Larson could kinda be considered local and even though Peck left to pursue Wings, WHo could ask for more than that battle.
What happened first? Did Indiana tracks go non wing or did the drivers leave?
I had a car back in that era and I remember the tracks going non wing, with one reason & maybe the biggest one was they could have a lower purse. One promoter you & I both know personally told me that wings were killing him & the NW guys would run for less. Heck and that’s still the case a lot of times, many times it seems a show that pays less will have a fair amount more cars than a competing race that pays more.
Last edited by motorhead748; 8/3/23 at 7:04 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > High Limit, Who’s In!