IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500, Who's going?
5/21/18, 7:44 AM   #11
Re: Little 500, Who's going?
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

I will be there love this race 11 rows of 3 on that 1/4 mile track its just amazing to watch! See ya all there!

5/21/18, 8:08 AM   #12
interpreter66

Been coming for over 20 years ,here and can't wait

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, tigerone, tirespinner
5/21/18, 8:30 AM   #13
david mitchell
Banned

It is quite amusing to hear many individuals say how they don’t really like pavement when referring to Little 500.I find it strange that so many people think that dirt is the only possible surface for any race car to run on.😸 Any of the best drivers have done both equally well.Look at your history books.I mean while I respect Donny Schatz and believe him to be the best winged sprint car driver in Country,you would hardly call him an all around talent.Really,what I want to know is why you don’t like pavement.Get into your head,if if you will.Any reasons will be appreciated.Is it a society thing.I mean the biggest race in the World is on pavement and it is next Sunday.I like dirt and pavement equally well,so to me it is a non starter.Please offer reasons.I am intrigued.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mc/rider, racer-x, tigerone
5/21/18, 9:38 AM   #14
fishnman

Will be there for 6th time overall. 2nd in a row, loving all 500 laps.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, scottyCbus, tigerone, tirespinner
5/21/18, 10:27 AM   #15
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
It is quite amusing to hear many individuals say how they don’t really like pavement when referring to Little 500.I find it strange that so many people think that dirt is the only possible surface for any race car to run on.😸 Any of the best drivers have done both equally well.Look at your history books.I mean while I respect Donny Schatz and believe him to be the best winged sprint car driver in Country,you would hardly call him an all around talent.Really,what I want to know is why you don’t like pavement.Get into your head,if if you will.Any reasons will be appreciated.Is it a society thing.I mean the biggest race in the World is on pavement and it is next Sunday.I like dirt and pavement equally well,so to me it is a non starter.Please offer reasons.I am intrigued.
The cushion never comes in, the bottom never goes away and no one has over gone to the front with 4 in the fluff on pavement. Pavement is all about driving like a grandma and keeping tires under you. I was a pavement guy until I was 30, and now I wonder how I managed to love racing the way I do when that was all I ever watched or raced. Now , I generally avoid pavement. I'll still go to a race here and there, but I much prefer dirt.

1 member likes this post: Slidejob71
5/21/18, 11:15 AM   #16
flagboy55

Hard to top what Rhody said. Dirt is just more entertaining to me. I grew up in the Era when both were run and I loved it all, especially Winchester, Salem, and Dayton. In my opinion, after those 3 tracks, the entertainment value of pavement racing dropped considerably. The late Illiana speedway was just minutes from my house, and while I rarely missed an open wheel race there, I can't say it was super exciting, but 15 minutes away is a nice selling point. They raced stock cars weekly and almost every Saturday I would drive past them on the way to a dirt track. I've always been told what a great race the little 500 is, and it is on my bucket list,just not very high. Although I've got a couple guys I call friends participating in the race this year in different capacities, and they're both first timers so maybe after I talk with them they'll convince me to elevate it on my list. One last comment, just for the record if the little 500 were a dirt race I would not have any more desire to see it. I know I'm wrong when I say this because I really respect the opinions of people that endorse it, but to me it seems like a novelty. OK I'll sit back and take my beating

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart
5/21/18, 11:59 AM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Pavement died when the same car wasn't used for both IMHO. Granted I've been to about four pavement races in my life. A Cora Midgets at Queen City early 80s which was ok not bad racing, Staab's win at IRP. Kinda liked this one as it was standard sprints and there were some slide jobs. Mostly because I helped with the car a bit, the winner was my local track champ and through a series of things there were many lead changes.

Winchester after a obvious rule change early to mid 90s, Dave Steele in a car that looked like anything but a sprint car laps up to third, Second a half lap back. I can appreciate the discipline but the racing sucked.

Little 500 2017. Six or seven car pack of cars running very close most of the race, Others moving up. Stratagy gaining mass positions or losing. Different car being the fastest at different times during the race, Multiple leaders and lead changes, And while the finish wasn't very close, a couple laps more and Santo's would have made close as he'd made up 3/4th's of a lap in the last ten laps..

That, The fact that the track looks imposible to race three wide on, yet they do and do often, The circus that is the pits, Push trucks pushing off under green etc. It's so much action, it's hard to keep track of everything.

Only dang thing I didn't like about it was the totally crappy PA and the fact I had to used the RR for about the last hour but held out.

And the number one reason Pavement got to sucking. 12 car counts, Honestly, Even if they do have a good race, How does that compete with 4-5 heats two consi's and a feature? Companies base their purchase on Return on Investment (ROI) why wouldn't a fan? I know to travel over two hours to something, it has to be much better than a closer dirt option. I thought the little 500 lived up to that.

Little 500 had about 38 last year, 47 for this year and im guessing about 10-12 of those cars and drivers were perfectly capable of winning. Strategy, execution and a little luck wins it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/21/18 at 12:10 PM.

1 member likes this post: Kydehart
5/21/18, 12:02 PM   #18
kinser

You apparently never saw Bentley Warren run the Little 500

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66, tirespinner
5/21/18, 12:04 PM   #19
hoosierboy3

I really wish there were more pavement races honestly. Not only sprint cars, but midgets too. They used to put on a heck of a show when the National midgets ran at Anderson. And the sprints at Winchester was just flat out awesome.

5/21/18, 1:41 PM   #20
gman4085

By far the best race in America. I've attended more than 25 of them in my lifetime. Unfortunately I've missed the last couple due to commitments at other racetracks.

If you've never been I can assure you it should immediately go to top of your bucket list. I work at multiple dirt tracks now (I actually announce 60-75 nights per season) and can assure you nothing beats watching Little 500. Most of my younger years my entire family took up the top couple of rows in section O while more recently I've sat toward bottom of section JJ. It doesn't matter where you are at it is a phenominal race. The rookie attendees have a tough time following along once pit stops start and people are lapped but it just adds a unique (but awesome) element. To realize someone is 2 laps down but once pit stops cycle through they might be ahead gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

The race has been more of a true "all out" sprint more recently than in the olden days of saving equipment and pacing yourself but it is still an awesome race.

Anyone on here who is having the dirt vs pavement discussion needs to realize that the Little 500 is too special and unique to be categorized with any other race.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500, Who's going?