IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500
5/20/18, 5:57 PM   #1
Indy 500
wright59

Hey all of you Indy 500 haters that say the poor Americans don't have a chance at the speedway!! Who is on the pole and where is he from??

5/20/18, 6:46 PM   #2
racer-x

I’m still trying to figure out why they cut bump day at 5:50 yesterday? I know there has been a bunch of changes but why a 10 minute cut in time?

I don’t think many people on this board hate the Indy 500 it’s just there are very few drivers besides Ed Carpenter that grew up racing with USAC.

Wow we’re were the spectators??
Kinda makes you wonder if giving the big track the first ISW date will be a good idea!

1 member likes this post: duel
5/20/18, 7:31 PM   #3
Re: Indy 500
BrentTFunk

My guess why 5:50 is national tv coverage. Plenty of drama. I would love to see more USAC guys, but I would miss them while they were out getting rear engine experience. I will be rooting for Chris Windom on Carb Day, and hopefully in the 500 in the future. Thanks to the Byrd and Baldwin families for helping him get this chance.

5/20/18, 7:36 PM   #4
Wingman

I think the 500 is great. I have been about a dozen times or more. I would go every year if my wife would let me. I am not even a Hoosier and get goose bumps when they sing Back home again in Indiana. I have the Derby but I will take the 500 anytime.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, racer-x
5/20/18, 7:38 PM   #5
chris jockish

Race Count This Year: 71
Race Count Last Year: 69

They wanted to get media coverage in.Instead of cutting off action after 6:00 gun tv radio goes off air. Ed by far got the most cheers today!
The speedway is a huge place. Seem to have decent crowd today.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, flagboy55, jdull99, racer-x
5/20/18, 8:37 PM   #6
JarrettFarms73

i was there yesterday and thought they had a pretty good crowd. From an energy standpoint, not sure Indycar could’ve asked for a better bump day. The buddy that went with me was not that much of a race fan in the 90’s and had never experienced that atmosphere. Even though a substantial bunch were booing his guy(Rossi), he absolutely loved it.

on a side note, if something is needed to keep Hinch’s sponsors happy, i’d rather see IMS/IndyCar incorporate Hinch into the broadcast booth while wearing his team shirt than see Jay Howard lose his seat.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99, Tony74
5/21/18, 7:44 AM   #7
Re: Indy 500
Kart29

Anyone who thinks that was a decent crowd doesn't remember what a pole day crowd was like 30-40 years ago. The difference is enormous!

I really like Ed Carpenter. I think he's a good man and a great oval track driver. But he is in a unique situation and can't be used as an example of how a typical American short oval driver can still make it in IndyCar racing today.

First, Ed races ovals only. The IndyCar series is so road/street track focused that an oval track driver doesn't stand a chance to compete in the series. You won't see another oval-only driver in IndyCar unless he/she owns and runs his own cars.

Second, Ed had the opportunity to get lots of experience before he became really competent as an IndyCar driver. He spent a couple of years in Indy Lights and it took several unsuccessful years in IndyCar for him to develop his skills. Fortunately, he had the money and racing connections to stick around long enough to develop that his talent/skills. Most other drivers would be kicked to the curb if they didn't show real results within a year or two.

I have no doubt that more USAC racers could become great IndyCar oval track drivers. Unfortunately, I don't think they really have that opportunity because most will not be able to quickly become outstanding at road/street racing and because there are no IndyCar teams willing to spend the time and money in their development while they learn to become proficient in that type of car and racing.

I really appreciate every thing Byrd brothers have been doing. I love seeing the hard-core American oval drivers get a shot. Those guys are always my favorites. Unfortunately, I don't think these slight opportunities offer enough time and resources for these drivers to become great IndyCar racers. You can't just jump in an IndyCar and be a contender in couple of seasons, much less a few races (unless you are Tony Stewart).

4 members like this post: Bostonian, Gregg, i love dirt track racing, Speedwrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500