IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > where to start?
4/22/13, 8:16 PM   #1
where to start?
Adams44

Hi, my name is Blake Adams and I'm 19 years old. I have been racing karts for 4 years and really wanted to move into a mini sprint. So last year I bought one and found out that I was in way over my head trying to do it all by my self. I ended up selling everything without making it on the track. After taking a year off I really want to get in a mini sprint but do it right this time. My question is where to start? Do i go buy a car and just go for it and learn along the way or are there any teams that would be willing to show me the ropes or is there something else I should do.
Thanks for any advice,
Blake Adams

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Buster51, racerfanx2
4/22/13, 9:49 PM   #2
PPM Racing

Contact Rodney Stealy at Concept Chassis. He builds a great car and is at the micro track every Saturday night and is willing to help anyone out.

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

4/22/13, 11:11 PM   #3
Re: where to start?
McInturff Racing

As someone who jumped into mini sprints after 15 years out of the cockpit and 1 failed season in FWD compacts I will give you what insight I can.

1) Go out and buy a car. I recommend something decent but not too expensive if money is an issue because you are going to make mistakes on the track and possibly in the garage that are going to cost you money.

2) Put as good a set of shocks and torsion bars in it as you can afford. If these aren't good the car will never handle well and you won't learn squat.

3) Get to be friends with Larry Fosse at SpeedPartz. He will give you 100 pieces of good advice with every part purchase (or without part purchase) and give you the contacts for anyone you could hope for on all aspects of the minis.

4) Buy Scott Fosse"s book on mini sprints and Steve Smith's book on chassis setup. These will give you decent starting points if there isn't someone standing over your shoulder to give you advice.

5) Go to the track and talk to folks. Don't be afraid to tell them you are new and lost. Everyone I came across was more than willing to help me with any questions I had. (In general dirt track folk seem to be willing to give you plenty of good advice right up until you start kicking their butt). Be prepared, you will get conflicting advice because not everyone does things the same. Its not a case of anyone giving bad advice, just different approaches and driver preferences.

6) Seat time, seat time, seat time (same as all racing)

7) Be prepared to have a lot of fun, and a lot of frustration.

I'm sure there is more but I don't want to be any more long winded than this right now! If you want to do it, just dive in. It can be done!

7 members like this post: DAD, fish, JarrettFarms73, Jrp4554, Midget 89, Phylo82, SprintFan
4/23/13, 12:04 AM   #4
red70racer

What Mcinturf said is right on the money
You will never out spend the competition, so make the best of what you have
Racing is hard work, not one race is won on the track, it is the combination of perpetration and perpetration
Most people will help with advise, you have to decide what works for you
Are you talking about mini sprints, an upright 1000 cc engined 13" wheel mini sprint ? Or a micro sprint, sidewinder 600 cc with 10" wheels?
Personally I believe the micro is a better starting place due to more races and different classes to learn about racing
I also think you are on the right track being open and honest about your knowledge, I've seen too many guys that think they know stuff when in reality they are a liability to everyone around them
Good luck
Jeff Palazzolo

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by red70racer; 4/23/13 at 12:06 AM.

4/23/13, 6:31 AM   #5
Adams44

Thank you for all your advice and Im trying get into the 600s and race a Miami county Speedway

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: racerfanx2
4/23/13, 8:00 AM   #6
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams44 View Post
Thank you for all your advice and Im trying get into the 600s and race a Miami county Speedway

Posted via Mobile Device
Since you know which class and where you want to race, I would recommend spending a summer being on somebody's pit crew. A lot of teams have a big pit crew, but many people have very small pit crews and are always looking for someone to help.

You can spend all summer learning more about the sport and not having to spend your money. Also, when you do decide to start racing, you now have a ready made friend in the pits to pit next to and help you out.

5 members like this post: DAD, koolaid89, Midget 89, PatrickMead#13, Slidejob71
4/23/13, 9:02 PM   #7
Micro 11

Come to the pits, check everything out and ask lots of questions. Most everyone is more than happy to answer questions or give advice. You can look us up this Saturday at Miami County Speedway. We are the blue and white #11 non wing driven by Aaron Davis. We would be happy to help any way we can.

6 members like this post: DAD, davidm, racerfanx2, rclaridge, red70racer, SprintFan
4/24/13, 5:54 PM   #8
Adams44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro 11 View Post
Come to the pits, check everything out and ask lots of questions. Most everyone is more than happy to answer questions or give advice. You can look us up this Saturday at Miami County Speedway. We are the blue and white #11 non wing driven by Aaron Davis. We would be happy to help any way we can.
I cant be at the track this weekend because of other commitments. I plan on being there the next weekend, will you be there?

4/28/13, 9:46 PM   #9
Micro 11

Yes we will.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > where to start?