IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
7/10/13, 12:49 PM   #1
Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Spiker racing products is looking to bring 3 cars to brownstown sat july 13th. As you all know my hyper car has a built engine with stock bore and stroke. It does however have high comp. Pistons. Would you let me run with your group this week since its non wing and the engine dosent really matter. I just dont want to drive 3 hours not to race. All the other cars are within your rules. Thanks rob winks

7/10/13, 2:18 PM   #2
Re: Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
cmiracingvids

I'd like you to bring it just so I can see what this hyper car looks like. But as far as rules, I'll let Bill make the final call on that.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/10/13, 2:51 PM   #3
Quantrill

I mite be wrong but isn't the wheel base on these new hyper chassis 72" plus?

Posted via Mobile Device

7/10/13, 3:06 PM   #4
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

71"

Posted via Mobile Device

7/10/13, 3:25 PM   #5
Jim Gardner

I think that the decision should come from Bill May and the owners that support the series week in and week out (Mike Mensendiek/Beau Binder, the Ambroses, the Bradleys etc...) and battle for points and wins on a regular basis. But I will respectfully chime in my two cents.

I think that these series (MMSA, Waynesfield, Lightning Sprints in general) is at a really sensitive place with what is going on under the hoods of these cars. It wasn't too long ago that $8-10,000 would allow a competitor to race for wins, not top tens. And now it takes that under the hood alone. What is the point guys? We are driving ourselves right out of the market. This is a hobbyist/development class. We all have daily jobs. There is no good reason to spend this type of money on these cars. If you've got the budget, go sprint car racing. No wonder car counts are down. Lightning sprints used to be the best bang-for-the-buck in racing, not so much anymore. (Sorry for the engine rant and a thread hijack but I feel that it had to be said).

To get to your question Rob, and I certainly didn't mean to pick on you in particular in the above paragraph, I would welcome you down to Brownstown to have some fun, as that is why we are all headed that way. But in order to protect the interests of the MMSA and what they organizers/racers are trying to do I would think that maybe you could only qualify for the trophy- no $$. What I don't want to see is you take the place in the A-main of some kid that is just getting into the sport and is trying to get some laps and following the rules that are set-forward. If a deal can be worked out where we start 21 (20 "MMSA" legal cars) and pay the 20 MMSA legal cars then I'm all for it.

I think that it would open a can of worms to openly accept a 2013 MMSA illegal car just this once because of such and such scenario without provisions. Wing or non wing engines are very important in racing. Ask all of the USAC guys prepping for sprint week if they'd be willing to swap motors with a local car.

Anyway like I said I don't have the weight to carry much of this conversation as I don't get to as many races as I'd like to. But there is an idea.

3 members like this post: bowbuild, El1teBr33ze, Knoke77
7/10/13, 3:56 PM   #6
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

I understand these engines are getting crazy. This class since the early 90's has always been about engines. I will say one thing it takes alot more than a engine to win. Id really like to show this car off and let everyone see what it can do. Ive never raced it non wing. My other choice is to race at Montpieller IN. Which is way closer to home.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/10/13, 4:05 PM   #7
Jim Gardner

I fully agree with you there, the difference now is that the discrepancy is larger. But we could either continue to outspend each other, or figure out and agree upon a certain set of parameters to calm it down some- and then have organizations enforce it. Anyway I hope that we figure out a way to get you to Brownstown, as a good car count is the only way that we make the promoters happy (which is really what we need to focus on) and I'd like to check out that new Hyper as well.

7/10/13, 4:36 PM   #8
Bradleyracing86

Motors do matter wing or non wing.

Nothing against you Rob, but I think this is the worst idea ever. The reason our car counts are down is the very thing your pushing. The three cars you bring won't offset the 5-6 we lose because of you. Mushy rules and teching is why we have lost so many of our dedicated racers and potential new racers. Im not allowed to run Engler injection with the AMSA, you shouldn't be allowed to run your big engines with us.

This series was started with the idea that you didnt need 15k to have a chance at winning. We had. 20-25 cars every week then. Now the AMSA, and Mid American still allow these high dollar motors. Which undoubtedly killed this type of racing in the late 90s.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 7/10/13 at 5:13 PM.

5 members like this post: bowbuild, D.L. 122, El1teBr33ze, PatrickMead#13, STUMPS88
7/10/13, 5:17 PM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Motors do matter wing or non wing.

Nothing against you Rob, but I think this is the worst idea ever. The reason our car counts are down is the very thing your pushing. The three cars you bring won't offset the 5-6 we lose because of you. Mushy rules and teching is why we have lost so many of our dedicated racers and potential new racers. Im not allowed to run Engler injection with the AMSA, you shouldn't be allowed to run your big engines with us.

This series was started with the belief that you did need 15k to have a chance at winning. We had. 20-25 cars every week then. Now the AMSA, and Mid American still allow these high dollar motors. Which undoubtedly killed this type of racing in the late 90s.

Posted via Mobile Device

What did ole Chris Economaki say "LET EM ALL RUN"!

That being said, why not Add about a 200 pound or so price tag for all that high tec "unobtanium" stuff some of these dumb Ba$atard$ are putting in their engines to run for that $400.00 prize and see if that make it more even and if that don't do it go for 50 pounds more.

Like the preacher said do as I "say" not as I "do". We can't even get a bone stock motor to last 30 laps, and these are the same motors we ran for 5 years without doing any thing to.

Let him find 200 pounds of lead plate for the bottom of his seat and let him run with you all. I sure Wish we could make it but. Just make it so it does not behoove one to put all that money in their engines, and you know what, they will just put that money in tires, shocks, chassis and now "SEATS" and beat the poor guy anyhow.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Bradleyracing86
7/10/13, 5:22 PM   #10
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS View Post
I understand these engines are getting crazy. This class since the early 90's has always been about engines. I will say one thing it takes alot more than a engine to win. Id really like to show this car off and let everyone see what it can do. Ive never raced it non wing. My other choice is to race at Montpieller IN. Which is way closer to home.

Posted via Mobile Device
You would come out much better racing with the Midgets, both the purse, the fuel, and the exposure for your car. Mike builds midgets too, right.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: Mmsa mini sprints