IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mobsters as early race promoters?
12/7/09, 11:10 PM   #1
Mobsters as early race promoters?
Jonr

I recently read the book "The Mafia and the Machine- The story of the KC mob" by Frank Hayde. In the book it stated that a KC mobster by the name of Max Jaben had a midget auto race track. While the timing is unclear, I am guessing that it would have been in the 50's or 60's.

The book actually said " Jaben had several legitimate business including the curious favorite of mobsters, The midget auto race track"pg 144

Does anyone have any other stories of mobsters running a race track? The author made is sound like it was a common occurance.

12/8/09, 12:18 AM   #2
Re: Mobsters as early race promoters?
bigmojo5

I had been told once that an early promoter of the Indianapolis Speedrome had questionable dealings. Maybe not a miobster, but involved in illegal gambling and the like

12/8/09, 9:29 AM   #3
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I recently read the book "The Mafia and the Machine- The story of the KC mob" by Frank Hayde. In the book it stated that a KC mobster by the name of Max Jaben had a midget auto race track. While the timing is unclear, I am guessing that it would have been in the 50's or 60's.

The book actually said " Jaben had several legitimate business including the curious favorite of mobsters, The midget auto race track"pg 144

Does anyone have any other stories of mobsters running a race track? The author made is sound like it was a common occurance.
I wouldn't call them full out mobsters but I do know of some very questionable promoters though.

12/8/09, 10:17 AM   #4
48modracer

http://www.rocsblackfront.com/hankoday.php

Might have been some mob ties with this sprint car. At least it was funded with illegal gambling profits.

12/8/09, 11:32 AM   #5
DonRacer

A good book on the subject is,
UMBRELLA MIKE
The TRUE STORY of the CHICAGO GANGSTER Behind the INDY 500
By Brock Yates

12/8/09, 12:39 PM   #6
rhk3

I think Gerry Olson was the most underhanded promoter I know of. He is not worth writing a book about though!!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: JEFFSTOY
12/8/09, 2:41 PM   #7
old time Hoosier

The now long gone Raceway Park in Council Bluffs, Iowa was first built as a dog racing (gambling) facility by noted gangster Meyer Lansky. The mobster later gave up on the track and it was converted to automobile racing.

12/8/09, 4:35 PM   #8
racerjim2

I don't think I've ever known a successful promoter that wasn't a crook.

12/8/09, 10:30 PM   #9
Vukie

Greg Loles of road racing fame [Farnbacher-Loles Porsches in ALMS and Grand Am] has been accused of massive embezzlement of funds from a Greek Orthodox Church in CT.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...9726016016.txt

12/8/09, 11:11 PM   #10
racephoto1

Whittington Bros., and Randy Lanier. Not promoters, but definately gangsters. I also know Baby Face Nelson ran at Roby, and was involved with the Chicago mob.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mobsters as early race promoters?