IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ppm #11
6/15/22, 12:09 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

I know its midweek and it happened over the weekend, I've been busy with 4H stuff with my niece, didn't see much on here about it, maybe I missed it, but I'm gonna say it anyway and dont care who hits like or who dont. Many many people in life and I'm sure on here as well, has experienced cancer in some way shape or form. Be it yourself or loved ones. I went through it for the past 5 years with my Dad. Last summer his heart and the rest of his body finally gave out at 67 from battling cancer for 5 years. What a Sprint car driver, hell any race car driver for that matter does, is not easy, no matter how much they make it look easy. What PPM is going through is not easy either, mentally nor physically, much less to do the chemo and/or radiation and go travel and climb in a Sprint car and race!! This guy is still a kid to most of us!! Big big kuddos to PPM, his family, his team, and his doctors!! Way to go PPM, way to go out there and win an AllStar race this past weekend while battling a disease and getting treatments!! You are one tough freaking guy/kid!! Stay Strong PPM, you got this kid!! Lots of people are with you and behind you #11!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 6/15/22 at 12:35 PM.

6/15/22, 1:23 PM   #2
Re: Ppm #11
kb78

I agree on this, I think this triumph may have gotten lost in the shuffle of the different Sprintweeks and the Million dollar race but it is worth taking a minute to appreciate the courage and perseverance of PPM and his family.

6/15/22, 2:03 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

He has actually had a real solid season. Even if you don't consider all he is going through. Happy for him and the McGhee team.

6/15/22, 3:10 PM   #4
Stevensville Mike

Forever and ever at work when someone has been thrown what looks like an unhittable curve ball in life, it is standard protocol to pass around a card and present it to them. All who know about the issue signs it and wishes them the best of luck, recovery, and prayers. I have signed many in my day.

But take it from me, it is a whole different experience when YOU are on the receiving end of a card as such and the words others sincerely say to you. That is when you realize how many friends you have. I can also say that the highest honor anyone has ever bestowed upon me is to tell me that they are praying for me.

Keep propping that PPM boy up. Believe me, it helps heaps.

Nice post, 16J.

6/15/22, 3:54 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I agree and pray PPM comes thru it with a clean green flag.

Not been watching much of Ohio Spint week But did anyone else notice Kevin Swindell Standing for the victory lane photo? May be a small victory but victory none the less.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, luckybuc97, PIT CART, rmr6nm
6/15/22, 6:53 PM   #6
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Does anyone recall a quote from Jimmy Caruthers after winning a race at Ascot by outcornering one the other star drivers of the day (1975)?

"You can't outbrave a cancer patient"

For those who don't remember him, he was a star in all three USAC classes, plus the Indy 500, and won the Silver Crown title but died before he could be presented the trophy.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, DirtTrackTherapy16J, kcarm92, LB
6/15/22, 9:30 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Does anyone recall a quote from Jimmy Caruthers after winning a race at Ascot by outcornering one the other star drivers of the day (1975)?

"You can't outbrave a cancer patient"

For those who don't remember him, he was a star in all three USAC classes, plus the Indy 500, and won the Silver Crown title but died before he could be presented the trophy.
Yes.

6/15/22, 10:23 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It's kinda off topic but Caruthers name came up in thread.

Roy Caruthers is battling the C word and prayers are sent.
Great racing family.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Ken Bonnema
6/15/22, 11:47 PM   #9
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Forever and ever at work when someone has been thrown what looks like an unhittable curve ball in life, it is standard protocol to pass around a card and present it to them. All who know about the issue signs it and wishes them the best of luck, recovery, and prayers. I have signed many in my day.

But take it from me, it is a whole different experience when YOU are on the receiving end of a card as such and the words others sincerely say to you. That is when you realize how many friends you have. I can also say that the highest honor anyone has ever bestowed upon me is to tell me that they are praying for me.

Keep propping that PPM boy up. Believe me, it helps heaps.

Nice post, 16J.
Thank you Mr. Mike, I appreciate that. I didnt do it for me or credit to me and I'm sure you know that. I just want people who dont realize what he's going through to understand what he's going through and he's not only being successful but he's being very positive. That's sometimes real hard to do in "c" shoes, as it sounds like you may know. Prayers to you and your family for whatever you are or did battle my friend. Stay positive, stay strong!! I will definitely continue to talk PPM up, he is my friend, his grandparents are/was my parents friends, and his friends and neighbors are my close friends. The kid needs all the positivity and support and prayers he can get!!

3 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ppm #11