IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Doug Wolfgang & Nitrous Oxide
12/22/10, 7:16 PM   #1
Doug Wolfgang & Nitrous Oxide
DonRacer

I was at the PAS for the Glenn Howard Memorial Race and little while before qualifying, Scott announced that Doug Wolfgang
was in the house and would be autographing copies of his and Argabright's book, Lone Wolf. A buddy and I went down to buy
one and no one except Doug and his wife Jeri were there when we arrived, so we got to talk to him for a few moments.

Just for fun, I asked him if any of the guys were running Nitrous Oxide back in the day. His face lit up like a Christmas tree
and with a s**t eating grin he said "I did". He said it worked great on a sprint car and you didn't really have to use it that much.
"Just set a guy up for a pass, usually coming off the corners, push the button, BAM, your gone" He said after they made it
illegal "I would fasten a bottle to my leg under my drivers suit and when I got in the car attach the hidden lines" Then while
cracking up with laughter, "Probably wasn't the brightest thing in the world to do" I ask him if it would be safe to use in a sprint
car today and he said "Yeah, wouldn't be a problem."

I brought up the subject of running an unlimited engine-fuel rule for non-wing sprint cars. "Hell yes" and "I think it would be great with
the wing cars too." Some other fans by this time were in line for a book, so that's all the time I had to talk to him.

Don

12/23/10, 12:21 PM   #2
Re: Doug Wolfgang & Nitrous Oxide
harms52

I had the same exact thing happen to me at Chili Bowl a couple years back. Heard that Wolfgang was in the house signing copies of his book. I ran straight over to the booth and Doug was the only one there. Got to chat with him for about 20min before a line started to form. Definitely one of my favorite conversations.

12/23/10, 11:11 PM   #3
Gasman fan 50

Always thought that some of those guys did it back in the day 77 to 85. Now it would interesting if the Rim Rider did to. Maybe Jan, Weld just to name a few. You could smell and hear something strange. ESP on the half miles.

Joe

12/24/10, 3:02 PM   #4
DonRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman fan 50 View Post
Always thought that some of those guys did it back in the day 77 to 85. Now it would interesting if the Rim Rider did to. Maybe Jan, Weld just to name a few. You could smell and hear something strange. ESP on the half miles.

Joe
When that 50 or more extra horsepower kicked in you could see it too.

Evidently it was legal, (but not publicized) from what Doug said.

after they made it illegal "I would fasten a bottle to my leg under my drivers suit and when I got in the car attach the hidden lines"

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Doug Wolfgang & Nitrous Oxide